The Ultimate Da Vinci Code Question: Who Is Jesus?

Written by Darren Hewer

Dan Brown claims to be Christian. This should mean that he tries to follow Jesus. But Dan Brown believes a lot of what The Da Vinci Code discusses. He stated in a TV interview (pick the first Good Morning America interview here to see it) that he would not change a thing if he were to write a non-fiction book on the same topics The Da Vinci Code discusses. He clearly believes in a very different Jesus than most Christians. So, the question is: Who is Jesus really? Is he “merely a man” as Brown suggests, or something much, much more?

The best sources we have are found in the Bible itself. The biblical texts are the earliest texts we have, written in the first century and recorded by eyewitnesses or those who directly consulted eyewitnesses. There is no evidence that the Bible “evolved through countless translations, additions, and revisions” as Brown, through Teabing, suggests. The Bible is in fact the most reliable ancient document we possess, and exists in thousands of ancient copies with no major discrepancies. Here’s what these earliest sources have to say regarding Jesus, who is called “Immanuel,” meaning “God with us” (Matthew 1:23).

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God … The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us” (John 1:1,14).
“Christ Jesus, who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness” (Phil 2:5-7).
“For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form” (Col 2:9).
“Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”” (John 20:28)

Jesus also accepted worship, and for Jews this was seen as blasphemy because only God could be worshiped. The early church leaders agreed that Jesus was not merely a man: “God Himself being manifested in human form for the renewal of eternal life” – Ignatius (105AD)

It seems that since Dan Brown is contradicting the oldest and most reliable sources on who Jesus is, he is inventing his own Jesus to suit himself. That will never do for someone who “seeks the truth.” Jesus was clear regarding his claims about Himself and his work on earth. Many religious leaders have taught that we should love one another. But what made Jesus unique? Here’s what Billy Graham had to say:

Only Jesus died and then came back to life by the power of God, never to die again. … You can visit the tombs of philosophers and religious teachers of every kind across the world but you can’t visit Jesus’ tomb, because He rose from the dead and is now in heaven. Someday, He will return in glory to destroy all evil and rule in perfect justice. … Do you want to know God? Look at Jesus, for He was God in human flesh. And when you do, you also will discover that God loves you. He loves you so much that Christ was willing to die for you so you could be reconciled to God.

It’s time to answer Jesus’ question for yourself. It was first addressed to His twelve disciples but applicable to you and me today. Don’t jump to answer based on your preconceived notions or Dan Brown’s flawed history, but instead answer by examining the information available and asking God to help you answer Jesus’ question: “Who do you say I am?

61 Responses to “The Ultimate Da Vinci Code Question: Who Is Jesus?”

• paulwilliams says:

Hi,

I tried to add an image but I don’t know how to do it
    Can someone please explain me how?

Thanks for your help in advance :)

—————————————
    See my latest Blogs

• Brett Lomas says:

Has anyone heard about Copley’s cross at the Roslyn Chapel. This uni dude from Oxford found a cross with an inscription giving a tale that the second coming will be played out when a dude called Brunhala gets down and dirty with this chick called Mot. He believes that this dude is the progeny of Jesus and Mary.

• My Response to article, sent in 7/29/07
    Secret image ‘found’ in Last Supper
    Madonna, Templar hidden in masterpiece, says expert.
    Pesci Slavisa has indeed found one of the many of Leonardo da Vinci’s “Pictures Within Picture, outside the box, outside the frame”, or did he? Question the process he used to find these images and then question his process used to duplicate the mirror images, afterward question Mr. Slavisa again, then in which take a good look at the original invention by Leonardo da Vinci, the perpendicular reverse mirror image process and the optical illusion, researched, discovered and documented in “2005”, in his various paintings, originally discovered by Mr. Michael W. Domoretsy and “The daVinci project in 2005”. We congratulate Mr. Slavisa on independently duplicating something, but surely it was not Leonardo’s thought process or intention. Yes, for the first time in five hundred years after Leonardo’s lifetime I invite you to the viewing Mr. Domoretsky’s “ discoveries of the perpendicular reverse mirror image process and the optical illusion process Leonardo invented. Only then one will surely see the “true code.” We welcome independent corroboration and recognition of the mirror imaging process, discovered in “2005 by Domoretsky and the project. Now come and see the true code encrypted in Leonard’s masterpieces. You be the judge. The links to the perpendicular reverse mirror imaging process, invented by Leonardo da Vinci and discovered by
    Michael W. Domoretsky in 2005, The True Code!
    As usual, as is our experience repeated time and time again, renowned art critics and professed art experts, such Vittorio Scarbi and many others, base their opinions on accepted art world and art education precepts looking at DaVinci’s works as artists not scientists, inventors and very likely a member of the Mason’s guild (though unproven). Few if any of these “accepted” experts have read his notes in detail or studied the man himself and thus fail to understand and make the connection that he worked outside the box. DaVinci was known to have used mirrors extensively in his writings. It is therefore highly likely and to be expected that he would do something similar in his paintings if he sought to hide ideas, concepts or opinions.
    We submit that only someone “as ignorant as a goat” could fail even to consider that a man of DaVinci’s genius and propensity for innovation might possibly think and communicate outside the box, with hidden images, or hide his, what might possibly be considered, heretic or dangerous free thinking ideas by encrypting them in his works of art.
    As always it is difficult to persuade experts professing established thought in any field to consider new, alternate or previously UN accepted ideas…. But then the experts thought the world was flat for centuries…
    The da Vinci Project
    Managing Director, Michael W. Domoretsky / Director: M. Graham Noll
    Contact: http://www.lionardofromvinci.com/contact.html

• Tang Jia Bin says:

Dan Brown claims to be a Christian? Well, the first question that came to my mind was, “Is this guy living in the truth?” Jesus says that His Word is truth, and Dan Brown’s teachings seems ro be in contradiction with the Word of God! Many many verses to quote with, and many questions he should be pondering.

Matt 7:21-23
    “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Rev 22:18-19 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

• David says:

After viewing the movie and looking at the painting of the last supper I could not help but notice a few things. (I apologize if you have already discussed these points.)
    1. Jesus at age 33 would be old enough to be a grand father (woman had kids at age 12)
    2. Mary would have been old enough to be Jesus? pregnant daughter.(taking the first name of His mother)
    Am I too far off base? Think about it and tell me what you think.

• Brian says:

This is in response to Nicks Comment six months ago. Would it really matter… “Would it matter if Jesus had taken Mary as His wife and fathered children as Brown?s book suggests? He would still be the Son of God. I know the Bible doesn?t mention anything close to this. But when it?s all said and done, would it really matter?” Yes it would matter because Jesus came to fulfil the law of God and not to do away with it. God cannot be separated from His own Character (ie) It is impossible for God to lie. So if God is God, he can lie if he wants, would it really matter? If a prophet were to prophesy in the name of the Lord and the prophesy did not come to pass, that phophet was to be stoned. Jesus did nothing that was not pure and holy. Jesus is the way and the truth and the life. Let God be true and every man a liar ( this includes Brown and his book)

• John says:

I am amazed at how much this topic has generated and how much controversy the Da Vinci Code generated. I have just read a new book on the Holy Grail & The Knights Templar by author Prisca Furlong, and she takes a very different line to Dan Brown. I suspect this is a true Christian perspective, with the added bonus of the author legitimately being descended from a Knights Templar. A very enjoyable and interesting read and further information can be obtained from http://www.imp-artpublications.com, who are her publishers.

• Amos says:

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head with this, Emmzee. Well done.

• Stephen Rodriguez says:

CORRECTION to my last post… I meant to say ” THE CHEAPEST WAY OUT.. I REPEAT…OUT OF DEPRESSION ISSSSS…!” the error was…”The cheapest way to depression issss?

• Steven Rodriguez says:

First of all I want to comment on DrLeila. if ANY of you here are Christians, you will deBunk what that heritic says! The cheapest and easiest way out of depression is what Christians say… The cheapest way to depression issss… Take your eyes away from yourself and put them on someone else… Depression is NOTHING but shelfishness… ME, ME, ME. THINK ABOUT IT!.

Now I wrote about a month ago about, the 19 PAGENS who walked the earth with JESUS and wrote about him, I have given you those days to find the answer. I find that you have not even come close… so here are the names of those 19 pagens. At the moment I wrote their names as I heard them, as I cannot verify the spelling of their names I wrote the names as I heard them phonetically.

Tasitus, Certumas, Plinie, Ebeltch, Lyoul, Emanie, Lebaniu, Zozenesus, I did not get the names of the last ones. Each one of these worte of Jesus and his Miracles.

Now these 5 wrote FULL novels about Jesus and they were pagens!
    Lachiu, Celsius, Poforsie, Hendies, Julian the Apostile!

As GOD said… QUESTION EVERYTHING!

Love GOD … Steven Rodriguez

• Jan says:

All I could find about Dr James Kennedy was a site claiming he is a heretic and another secular blog condemning some things he said about evolution.