Being Vigilant

Written by Gail Rodgers

by Gail Rodgers

**Are you vigilant in the area of your marriage? http://mag.thelife.com/study/affairproofing.html?section=affairproof

Listen to this devotional read aloud online

It is easy for our awareness of God to diminish in our busy schedules. It is easy to lose our observant eye and ear as we rush from one thing to the next!  In the noise and commotion of life, it is easy to miss the still, small voice within us.

How do we remain vigilant in our Christian walk?

A vigilant person is watchful and alert. He is observant with an eye to the future and is on guard for dangers or pitfalls.

A vigilant person pays attention to the little things in his life and in his relationships. He is careful with his money knowing that the little things can add up to be big things. He is alert to the subtle slip in important relationships. He takes the time to mend the small tears in the relationships around him, knowing this will make them stronger in the future.

A vigilant person is wise in tending his marriage. Wherever he can he seeks to sow seeds of approval, appreciation, affection and attention in this most important of human relationships.

“Be very careful, then, how you walk—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil” (Ephesians 5:15-16).

As you walk through this day ask God to help you be observant to His still, small voice nudging you. When you are attentive in your relationship with God He will help you grow to become more aware and vigilant in your life and relationships.

~Father God, thank you that You can help me grow in becoming more vigilant. I know I am not always as careful as I should be in how I walk and how I tend my relationships. Help me to be on guard against the slow erosion that can happen in relationships when I become too busy. Help me to see how my hurried life distracts from some of the most important tasks I have in building for the future. Remind me to make the most of the opportunities I have each day to build into the relationships with those I love. The days are evil, Lord; there is much to pull us away from each other and from You. Help me to be wise. Fill me with Your Spirit and help me to be watchful and alert as I guard my heart and my home. In the strong name of Jesus I pray, amen.

Permanent devotional link

Questions: How do we remain vigilant in our Christian walk? Take some time today to evaluate how you can be more vigilant as a child of God.

About the Author:  Gail Rodgers

13 Responses to “Being Vigilant”

• anon says:

thank you, kanj. I guess God is in the midst of helping me thru things like that.. your prayers are appreciated! :-) thanks for giving me hope, and for reminding us that God is a redeeming God.
    God bless.

• kanj says:

marilyn, thank you. I did indeed ‘google’ it when I had a few moments to myself(no distractions or interruptions). may i say that as i listened to the angelic voice singing the words that only God could inspire, i was brought to tears, some slightly sad but because there were words of truth that stung. but the past is the past.
    yes, the lyrics describe exactly my journey, this much I know is true
    anon,
    transparency comes when the baggage of the past is let go. i can only speak of what’s true in my heart and this path just keeps getting more wonderous with each day. i am truly blessed as you and all our other sisters are here. Amen in Christ Jesus’ name

• sharon says:

• anon says:

kanj, thanks for sharing your testimony, which was so real and a blessing. God bless.

• Marilyn Marilyn says:

Dear kanj, there is a favorite song of mine, sung by the Christian group Selah, titled God Blessed the Broken Road, which sounds like the story of your path to Jesus! Perhaps you can ‘google’ it, and listen to it’s beautiful lyrics — it so touches my heart when I hear it, as I, too, came to Christ later in life, and praise Him for all the trials that I’ve had that led me to Him! Sometimes, I think those trials, and His perseverence in waiting for us, makes our salvation experience even more precious to us, as we feel such indebtedness to Him for His ‘amazing grace!’ And, God bless you, kanj, for your faithful testimony to His goodness to you and your husband!

• kanj says:

marilyn,
    I am and yes, I praise God for the union and am also grateful(as strange as that may sound)for the trials and tribulations that brought us together. i was not looking for anything in my life including God when i first met him. if anything i was trying to run away from my life.
    i understand the the unique blessing that evolves from devoted Christian sisters as I have been blessed not only with everyone here at this Christian woman’s site but re-united with a girlfriend I worked with over 28 years ago. unbeknownst to either of us, we realized that we both had accepted Christ around the same time. we hadn’t spoken in years. she and I seek support and understanding with each other in all areas of fellowship and with the blessing of technology we can reach each other at anytime as I do here with all of my fellow sisters in Christ. thank you so much marilyn for your endearing thoughts. God bless

• Marilyn Marilyn says:

Hi kanj! Are you referring to your husband as your accountablility partner? I think it’s beautiful that you and your husband, by the grace of God, worked through your trials together, allowing Him to bond you even closer! God is faithful to His children, when they submit to His ways, and His refining work in them! God bless you, dear one! When I was speaking of an accountability partner, I was actually thinking of another, mature Christian of the same sex; however, if you are finding that you and your husband are blessed by this, praise God! Devoted Christian sisters can also be a unique blessing to each other, as they offer understanding and support during our changing seasons of life, as well as experiential wisdom. Sometimes, there are concerns that women feel more comfortable sharing with a trusted sister-in-Christ than with their husbands, for whatever reasons, and it is a comfort to know that there is someone, in the flesh, whom you can be transparent with, and feel safe to be loved and accepted, and prayed for!

• kanj says:

first, thank you Gail for this devotional. marilyn, I can personally attest to being blessed with an accountable partner of 20 years now. around the 18th year, my personal struggles became like that of a erupting volcano. through my own ignorance of not knowing Christ, I nearly tossed this love away. in coming into Christ as my Savior, i not only started rebuilding this earthly relationship, but I re-newed my vows with God. both relationships are now walking in obedience to the Lord. today I am as transparent as transparent can be. my husband should have walked away, but he didn’t. the Lord never walked away from me, He was there all along just waiting for the invitation to come.
    love, whether we are talking about the love of a husband and wife, the love of thy neighbor, to love our enemy, but most importantly to love the relationship of God——-love is more than a feeling, it’s a commitment.
    in Ecclesiastes 9:9 it says:” Enjoy life with the wife whom you love, all the days of your vain life that are given you under the sun”.
    as a Christian I have to look at my love for my husband as being Biblical. his willingness and mine lets us do what is truly good for each other. i am truly blessed and give gratitude for where we are today.

• anon says:

Hi Gail,

Thank you so much for this devotional.. it really blessed me. I also really, really appreciated the prayer at the end.. it was honest, and real, pertinent to what so many of us do deal with daily. I pray God would meet each of us where we’re at & help us.
    Hehe, it seems silly but I have still been learning how this devotional blog works, and while I initially turned to it often for prayer, I have been realizing more to look at the author and be thankful for the message. So thank you for sharing this.
    God bless.

• Marilyn Marilyn says:

Adeline, I think the generic use of he/him is understood to be applicable to both men and women. For example, many times in the Scriptures, the ‘brethren’ are addressed, yet the principles are not necessarily gender-specific, and are useful to all believers.

As for our being vigilant in our walk with Jesus, it is helpful to have an accountability partner, with whom to share personal struggles/temptations, and measure progress in overcoming hurdles. Most people, in general, are more ‘vigilant’ about whatever they undertake when they are accountable to another. In addition, when we are transparent with an accountability partner, we have the blessing of each other’s prayerful support in resisting our specific temptations.

• Mave says:

I too cannot believe what I have just read as only last evening I was at a prayer meeting and we were all saying how each one of us was struggling to keep focussed with God. We are often so busy that we squeeze God into the the last bit of our time when we are tired, or distracted. Thank You I think God is definitely speaking to me.

• Kristin says:

Wow…this one was written just for me…I have been personally convicted lately about being vigilant in my Bible Study, my prayer (especially with my family). and those little spiritual disciplines that I tend to slip away from periodically…so thanks for putting this in writing and confirming what God has been speaking to me about.

• Adeline says:

This is a very wonderful message.

In this day and age, however, I would like to see the word ‘he’ be changed to ‘they’. Marriage is a two way path and both people have to work at this union.