The “How To” Guide for Love

Written by S Benner

What is Love? One of our mentors is available to talk to you about that.

Join us for our Daily Devotional Chat today in our Women’s Chatroom at 10:30am EST.

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres” (1 Corinthians 13:4 – 7).

Rather than faddish methods for friendship, the Bible gives basic, ageless instruction on how to live in community in a way that honors God.

There is no impatience, envy, rudeness or selfishness in love, but rather it is characterized by humility, forgiveness and trust.

Friendship usually starts off so well – you have common interests, you have fun together, you just click. Often we don’t stop to think about the elements that make up a godly friendship. Yet most of us have experienced the breakdown of a friendship. Thus we need the truth from God’s Word to teach us how to love.

Romans 12:9 – 21 provides basic principles that can be applied to every relationship in our lives:

Be sincere
Reject what is evil
Cling to what is good
Be faithful
Be hospitable
Never return an unkind deed with an unkind deed
Be happy with those who are happy
Be sad with those who are sad
Get along
Don’t be arrogant
Be a friend to someone regardless of his or her position or status
Don’t take revenge, but trust God to look after you

As we put these principles into action, we will become friends who know how to love.

God, I want to be that kind of person. Teach me how to love like You love.

Questions: Which principle stands out to you today? What is one thing you could change in the way you interact with your friends?

About the Author Suzanne Benner

Daily audio podcast: Hear today’s devotional, A “How To” Guide to Love, read aloud today on the Men’s Devotional Blog

6 Responses to “The “How To” Guide for Love”

• sharon says:

amen mugs

• Suzanne B says:

Good comment mugs! Too often we act like we have to think totally alike in order to be friends, instead of being stretched to see something from a different perspective.

• mugs says:

I would like to add another trait of a friend! Respect a friends decisions choices whether you agree to it or not!

• sharon says:

i have several good friends and thank God for them all

• Shirley says:

Thank you for today’s devotional. The “love
    walk” is something that seem hard to get
    right. I need to be reminded by God’s word as
    often as possible concerning, how to love God’s way. This seem to be something that is
    needed to remind, and bring our self back into
    alignment with the word of God concerning how to truly love others. I love God greatly and I also love his people but I still sometime
    find difficult in walking this love walk exactly
    loke God want me to do. I do know that if I
    would just allow the holy spirit in me take over
    and love through me I wouldn’t miss it at times. One thing I see as I evaluate the re-
    lationships I have with friends(it’s not many),
    I find myself lacking in being faithful . I am con-
    tent to only call, see, or spend time with my
    firiends very little. When we do get together
    we really enjoy each other, and our friendship
    seem to do okay. I am a person that like to
    stay to myself , I am involved in different things, but I still like my time to myself. I have
    friends who knows this and accepts this, when
    they need or want to share, or vice versa, they
    can always count on me to be there. If they
    need me to agree with them in prayer concern
    ing something, I am there. I am not one to call
    everyday or drop by every week, but Iam there when you want or need me to be. In
    saying this I guess sometime I must admitt I
    can be a little selfish. I can sometime keep to
    myself a little bit morer than I should. This is
    a big part of my character, so I have to put forth an effort to get out of character at times.
    This is such a important teaching, thank you
    for reminding me this day how God want us to
    love others.

• Karin says:

This scripture given from Corinthians 13:4-7 and Romans 12:9-21 is extremely important when dealing with negative people and people who are intentionally trying to bring you down because they down, it teaches us to love them no matter what, and if we feel we can’t do that, we must pray to forgive them and for the Lord to teach us how to respond to these negative comments and situations.