Work to Please God, Not People

Written by Rick Warren

When you feel burned out by work, family, ministry service, or whatever is nagging at your soul, feel free to contact us to talk about it.

“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as though you were working for the Lord and not for people” Colossians 3:23, TEV)

The apostle Paul teaches that we are to work as though we are “working for the Lord and not for people.” He’s saying that no job is too small; no job is too menial; no job is too insignificant when you have the right motive and perspective. We should think, “I’m doing it for God; I’m doing this job as if I’m doing it for the Lord.” I used to clean meat lockers in a butcher shop, and I would clean them as unto the Lord.

Now, how do I know if I’m doing my work for the Lord? Two characteristics will show up in your attitude: excellence and enthusiasm.

First, if I’m doing my work, not for the boss but for the Lord, I’ll do it with excellence. That means I give it my best shot. I do the best I can because I’m not doing it for anyone’s approval, except God’s. I do it with excellence, being the best I can be.

Second, I do my work with enthusiasm. I’m working for God; therefore, I do it with a cheerful attitude. “Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically” (Romans 12:11, NLT).

When you are working with all your heart, motivated by the love of Christ, your work is transformed into an act of worship for God.

Question: What does it mean to work “to please God”? When may doing God’s work not also please those around you?

About this Author: Rick Warren

11 Responses to “Work to Please God, Not People”

• Doris Beck Doris says:

Thanks for stopping by Vino! I’m glad you enjoyed the article!

• Vino says:

Thank you dear, for sharing this wonderful gospel.

• Kate Kate says:

Hi Tomas, Thanks for visiting! Do you see yourself living this out?

• Tomas says:

Work that pleases God is, to believe and accept God’s plan of Salvation for the humanity. That is is believe in Jesus Christ who is the savior of mankind. Jn.6:29.

So Jeff, how do you make sure that your motives are right and aren’t being influenced by feelings of the flesh?

• Jeff says:

At times, satan, who works through the flesh, causes anger, hatred, jealousy, spite, deceitfulness, etc. between people. Therefore, when people might truly be doing God’s work, others view it as acts of revenge or spitefullness. Those who hold these “feelings of the flesh” will not be rewarded with the blessings. So this work will not please those around us.

• samuel samuel mwaura says:

well.. its rue that we work not to pliz people.. but it true that we cannot love a good God and not comfort others with the same comfort He has shown us. we love others because God first loved us.. we love our neighbour as we love ourselves..

if we thinks of loving others than we love God.. we turn into people plizers.. when we love ourselves more than others we turn selfish..

for this reason.. we cannot say we pliz a good God and not pliz others.. the boy yeshua it is written, grew in statute, and in wisdom, gaining favour with
    a good God, and with men..

we pliz others in the same way because God is plized with us first..

its for this reason that yeshua left a manual for the the kind of God plizers we ought to be, an the
    the kind of lovers of men to be..

Matt chapter 5: The most xplozive sermon ever preached.. the sermon on the mount.. Blessed are…. for they….

Be Blessed God’s beloved!!!

• Ruth N says:

On this planet, you can never please a human being whether you do what or what, its only Working to please the almighty God that you will attain heavenly rewards. In whatever we do, lets aim at pleasing our father in heaven and emulating the works of Jesus Christ that showed truth, love and providence in the name of his father and his kindness for humanity. Work is a blessing and every one has to work in order to survive. In case of persecution, hatrade, disrimination, simply know that your serving to please God not humanily desires.

• Nathi says:

I try my best to do so. And I trust God will provide the energy so that I can channel it back to him as I work. It is good serve the Lord our God! To God be the glory! :-)

• N8Va Knight says:

I’m currently taking my 1st math class in almost 20 years. Its basic algebra(high school material) but it may as well be TRIGONOMETRY or CALCULUS.
    So I get to a point sometimes(like now) when my nugget just turns to a blob. I take a break and wonder how is this goin to play a part in life? does it really matter how well I do?
    When I read todays message I was RE-inspired and REminded to try my best. Not for the world here. But for The Good Lord Out there. HE is the one that is here Patting My Back for all the determination and perserverence.
    Thanks for the Good Word(Gospel)
    God Bless and Keep Going!!