Don’t be a “Lukewarm” Christian

Written by Darren Hewer

Is your spiritual life boring and routine? Talk to us.

Join us for our Daily Devotional Chat today in our Women’s Chatroom at 10:30 am EDT.

“I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm – neither hot nor cold – I am about to spit you out of my mouth” (Revelation 3:15-16, NIV).

Goldilocks was hungry. She tasted the porridge from the first bowl.
“This porridge is too hot!” she exclaimed.
So, she tasted the porridge from the second bowl.
“This porridge is too cold,” she said.
So, she tasted the last bowl of porridge.
“Ahhh, this porridge is just right,” she said happily and she ate it all up.

According to Goldilocks, being lukewarm is just right. But what is good for porridge isn’t good for our spiritual lives. Jesus tells us that “because you are lukewarm … I am about to spit you out of my mouth”! That’s strong language. What’s so bad about being “lukewarm”?

Notice how our passage from Revelation 3:15-16 begins: “I know your deeds.”  The focus here is on what we do, because our outward actions reflect the condition of our inner hearts (James 2:17).

It’s easy to see why someone should be “hot”, passionate for God and His word. When Jesus clears the temple, kicking out the money changers and merchants, “His disciples remembered that it is written: ‘Zeal for your house will consume me.'” (John 2:17) Jesus demonstrated his zeal by helping the poor, curing the sick, encouraging the discouraged and preaching God’s word to those who had lost hope.

But what about being “cold”? Jesus says that being cold is still better than being lukewarm because of something else Jesus preached against: hypocrisy. It’s hypocritical to be halfheartedly seeking God.

During our spiritual valleys, we should be honest about how we feel. Reading the Psalms can be tremendously helpful during such times. King David gives us an example of someone who was hardly lukewarm about anything in his life. His Psalms fluctuate between praising God and sorrowfully crying out.  Being cold is still worse than being hot, but at least if we admit we are sometimes “wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked” (Revelation 3:17) we are being honest with ourselves and with God, and we can ask God to help us regain the passion we once had.

Has your spiritual life felt “lukewarm” lately? Has your relationship with God become routine, or even boring? If so, perhaps it’s time to seek a revitalized relationship with the God who yearns for your passionate commitment. In conclusion to the “lukewarm” passage Jesus gives you a promise: “To those who are victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne” (Revelation 3:21, TNIV).

Questions: What has your spiritual life felt like lately? What steps do you plan to take to improve your relationship with the Lord?  Tell us some of your creative ideas that help you keep yourself from being bored?

About this Author Darren Hewer

9 Responses to “Don’t be a “Lukewarm” Christian”

• sharon b says:

• Char says:

I was introduced to this website by a dear friend who, listening to me describe my struggle to get through the 5th chapter of a book called Crazy Love by Francis Chan, showed me the devotional she had just read yesterday. Based on the exact same scripture text, I am now compelled to study this passage further, and see what it is the Lord is asking me to do, believe. I think I err on the side of grace, which gives us the freedom to be lazy, or lukewarm per say. Thank you for this site, I hope to visit regularly. God bless.

• Em says:

Pls lift up a prayer for me. I feel like I face attack when I am physically weary. Please pray for protection with me, that I would stand strong in the truth of the Lord, & not give the enemy a foothold in any area of my life.. also for my family. I pray God blesses each of you. God bless you.

• andi.brandsma Andi says:

Amitha, I used to feel this way when the kids were young but I came across a small book; Brother Lawrence; Lord of the Pots and Pans. Thru reading his story he teaches us how to “Practise the Presence of God.” In fact this may well be the title of his story. This book had a huge impact on how I began to realize that God wants us to spend all of our days in relationship w/HIM….and so peeling potatoes and doing dishes became my favourite times to chat w/HIM. Bringing HIM into the every day activities of my life as a wife, mother and house wife totally changed me as I learned to draw HIM into everything. I hope this helps you as you w/the business of being mum to 2 young children. Don’t forget that this time is almost over so I think HE’d love the fact that you cherish these special years of childhood. HE loved the children and set aside time to minister and simply love them and enjoy their company. So I pray you be the very best loving kind god fearing wise gracious caring mum that HE created you to be. Enjoy them! For they are too soon gone.
    Can you tell I’m a grandmother? LOL….

• KADDEE says:

the key for me to not becoming lukewarm is to stay focused on the Lord,it’s easy to get caught up in daily living and lose focus, having my gospel music playing in the car and my t.v set to come on when a ministry that i appreciate is to come on is a great help to me during the day. because even if my time gets occupied with stuff i get pulled back with a Word or a Song that brings me back into focuse. i love the Lord and i appreciate the things He places in my life to help me stay focused.

• amitha says:

This message is talking to me. I feel so miserable and guilty that I’m not spending time with God. I’m so caught up with a 3 year old and a eight month old. Its so stressful without any help. I need to revive my spiritual life and draw closer to God.

• andi.brandsma Andi says:

Thanks for teaching on this verse. God used this verse over 30 years ago to get me to make a choice once and for all. For Him or against Him; but no more on the fence and trying to walk in 2 worlds. The thot of being spate out of the mouth of God was the most frightening thing I could imagine.
    I use this verse when sharing my personal testimony and trust me it gets a REACTION from folks as they visualize the same thing; I pray it works in their hearts, minds and spirits to bring them to HIM the Author and Finisher of our faith.

• La says:

I attended the 10:30 Women’s chat on this devo, and I’m not sure that the “message” was addressed. ~ When Jesus became angry at the cheating “money changers and merchants” in the temple; He showed is passion w/ anger. Jesus became very angry at the cheating that took place in God’s house. The reason He became angry was that they were not Worshiping the Father! They were abusing the temple/ the church! They were not showing their Respect for Him OR respect for His Temple… This made Jesus very angry. So what I learned about passion from this, was that it is OK to become angry if the circumstance is to PROTECT our Master. It’s the only time we should show anger… Protecting our God from the hypocrites and from the self righteous, lukewarm so called Christians who have very cold hearts. I choose to defend my Master, the great I Am… My Creator. I will get passionate, as Jesus did… but only in this light. Thank you for this devo, as it made me stop and remember what I had learned in that lesson.. Am I passionate enough for GOD? Do I show that passion to others?

• Trisha says:

i sit with the Scriptures in front of me be it online or with the Bible. i open my heart to HEAR what the LORD is saying. i am a very eager soul when it comes to wanting HIS power and Grace. i love it when HE will open up a sentence to me and i really GET it! The Light goes on and my life is changed from that moment on. i love my quiet time with the LORD and i know HE loves it too. i believe there is so much HE wants to reveal to us and needs the faithful “hot” ones to help the “lukewarm” ones along. i speak up when my heart is overflowing at my Bible study group. It still amazes me how the Holy Spirit puts all the words together after i open my mouth on an issue that is being discussed. It even makes my Pastor’s eyes bulge in delight! i’ve always asked for HIS wisdom bec with Wisdom comes the Power to get things done for the King. Blessings to all~