Lord, I’m Hurting!

Written by M. Larson

devo-interact-icon-42x42Are you hurting from an unwanted divorce? Talk to us. We care.

Join us for our Daily Devotional Chat today in our Women’s Chatroom at 10:30 am EST.

“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving” (Colossians 3:23-25, NIV).

“Now as the service is ending,” said our pastor, “I want you to go to others in the congregation who have been a blessing to you and tell them how much you appreciate them!”

As I sat in the organ loft playing softly, I watched the people mingle, hugging, shaking hands, and smiling.  Some went up to our pianist, David, but no one came to me.  I began feeling sorry for myself.  “They don’t appreciate me or all I have done for them!”  I thought.  “I’ve sent them cards when they were ill or grieving.  I’ve prayed for and with them.  I’ve faithfully played the organ.  Nobody loves me!” Yes, I was having a real pity party!

One man did come up and express his appreciation.  But I still felt hurt as I walked out of church that night.  As I started driving home, I was filled with wrong thoughts–”No more will I waste my time and postage to send those comforting, sympathetic cards!  No more will I go around before church, smiling, greeting, and shaking hands!”

Oooh, I thought, I’m thinking bitter thoughts — and I’m miserable!  If I allow this kind of thinking to continue, I’ll no longer have my peace and joy, or enjoy going to my church!  But I felt so put out; I couldn’t even seem to hold it up to the Lord as I usually did with such nonsense.  So I simply cried, “Help, Lord!  I’m hurting!”

Right away He started setting me straight.

“Now, Muriel,” He seemed to say, “Who are you thinking about right now?”

“Myself,” I answered.

“And whom have you been serving?”

“You, Lord,” I replied.

“Then why do you need the praise of men?”  He had me there. “You know those people love and appreciate you.  They didn’t need to tell you that tonight. So, now put that all aside.  I want to bring something else to your attention.”

Now maybe this wasn’t exactly the conversation we had; but I knew the Lord was laying this on me.  And I suddenly remembered something: those two others in key positions in our church had been feeling sorry for themselves just that morning!  When I had talked to them individually, they had both seemed to feel unappreciated.  Now it seemed as if the Lord were asking, “What does this suggest to you?”

I realized that those of us in key positions in our church were under satanic attack. This completely snapped me out of the self-pity I had wallowed in.  As I came out, I once again felt Christ’s peace and joy in my heart.

I’ve got to share this with those other two, I thought.  But how? I don’t want to offend them.  Then I realized that the best way would be for me to tell them the truth about myself and my self-pity.  Then I could share how I believed the Lord had revealed to me that we were under satanic attack.

I knew it wouldn’t show me in the best light; but I did it the following Wednesday night, privately to each man.  Both men admitted that they too had been feeling down and unappreciated, and that Satan probably was trying to make them discontented and rob them of peace.  And that’s how the Lord helped three of us snap out of our “pity parties”!

Father, remind me that everything I do is for You.  It’s not about me; it’s not even about the people I am serving.  Remind me of just how much You love me.  I know that Your love is all the validation I will ever need.  Amen.

Questions: How do you understand the term “having a pity party”? What does feeling sorry for yourself actually indicate about your life? How can change our attitude to that of praising the Lord?

About the Author Muriel Larson

17 Responses to “Lord, I’m Hurting!”

• Sharon Sharon says:

to charles– my sympathy to you you are not alone i ask questions like how long do i or people i know have to suffer from 1991 for years i sufferes and wondered if there was an end to it there was in 2006 or so and i have a person i know who is still suffering for her this peson is getting counselling keep praying and if you can’t don’t worry about it let others pray for you and if you can keep reading the bible and get others to pray with for your situation God is in control and maybe he is working on your behalf behind the scenes you will get through this keep leaning on God if you can and pray God help my unbelief he loves prayers like that i can’t see you working and i am hurting help me i am praying for you awwwwww i feel for you, tough if you can keep looking up

• Charles says:

I am deeply depress about my situation I am constant feeling sorry for myself. Sometime I asked myself how long did Job had to suffer before he received his blessing from God. I have been going through pain since I lost both of my parents at an early age. Since then at the age of 16 years old I had to become a man never having a normal childhood, however to make a long story short I have lost an older brother to AIDS an older sister to cancel lost my son with my fist wife from a premature pregnancy. Today am 54 years old I had waited 12 years before getting married again to my second wife just when I thought thinks were getting better… because my wife is from a different country, when it was time to bring her to the U.S she was denied for a VISA. All of this happen 2 years ago. I am forced to hire an attorney which I can afford. Now I ask myself how much pain most I take.. is God really in control of my life. In the bible it was never mention a time frame on how long Job had to suffer before getting his break through.

I pray that God can touch someone that’s who is reading this and that can give me a word conformation , because truly I cant handle this who situation, and if I cant and God cant then who. Please Help me anyone.

• Michael Jantzen M. Jantzen says:

Hello Fie, thank you for your comment and sharing about some of your struggle. It seems like you could benefit from working through what you’re feeling with someone who will listen and pray for you. We have confidential email mentors who would love to journey with you. Here’s the link if you’re interested: http://powertochange.com/experience/talk-to-a-mentor/ Take care.

• Fie says:

Realy comforting,now I’m feeling lonely and guilty, it’s like I’ve lost THE WAY, it’s like I wasted so much time for doing nothing, it’s like my envolvment was rupted and I was rejected tittle by little, I’m realy hurting but I’m always hoping for Christ’s love and care.

• a gomes says:

I appreciate the sharing…. it was a blessing in deed…just this morning in my time of prayer, i asked the lord to tell me something i need to hear…. and viola isnt he faithful??

bless you

• I have gone through many trials in my life, Ellie and Machelle–and I found that some of the psalms really lifted me out of myself, comforted and encouraged me. Psalms 34 and 37 came to mean so much to me that I memorized them. We don’t have to live in the dumps–we can live in the heavenlies! God loves us!

• Machelle Thomas says:

Lord,I was feeling hurt by not getting recognize by the people in my life that I had helped out in some kind of way.By sending them a card to let them know that I was thinking about them.So,what happens is that it had brought my spirit down and made me feel very sad.If you know of a subject that I can read from the bible pertaining to this,it would be greatly appreciated?God bless!

• Elle B Me says:

Blessings…

I appreciate the sharing, It hit where it hurts the most for me. I am stuck and need intercessory prayer. I am really trying. I pull myself up only to get knocked down again

I do not even feel like serving anymore, even tho I realize it is the Lord who called me to the ministry! To feel unappreciated while you do so very much for leadership only to have others called out and over you really hurts me to this point. Please pray for me

• Brenda says:

When I read the title, “Are you hurting from an unwanted divorce” I thought YEAH THAT’S ME!! But when I read the article, it didn’t really say anything about divorce, but the Lord led me to tell you my story!! I married a man, I thought I loved, and 8 months later we got divorced, I moved out of his house and was going thru some spiritual warfare, I felt like satan was winning, well I earnestly prayed and asked God for HIS WILL TO BE DONE!! 4 months later my husband and I got back together and got married again, only this time its all about God and His blessings!! My hubby told me that God put a death to our marriage so that HE could ressurect it!! I thank God every day I finally surrended to HIM!! God bless you all, and I appreciate this website and the folks that put the daily prayer!! It speaks to me right where I am!! God bless you all and have a very Merry Christmas!! Thanks!! =}

• Cheryl says:

I needed that one.Thanks for the reminder that its easy to feel unappreciated and used when we take eyes off Him!It’s His approval we need to seek not the approval of man.

• Elle B says:

When I think of Jesus’ life, I think of how selfLESS he was. The world tells us that we are to be praised for the things that we contribute but that couldn’t be the further from the TRUTH. I encourage you all to continue to meditate on Romans 12:1-2 – not conform to the patterns of this world and also 2 Corinthians 10:5 – to capture every thought to make it obedient to Christ. Praise be the name of the Lord!

• Robin says:

Thank you for this wonderful word! I have experienced the same things myself and I really think that we ALL do! Even Jesus disciples did, and the Lord was loving and kind to them. Jesus will always bring us back to looking toward Him and that will give us ALL the peace we ever, EVER will need! :)

• Ria says:

This devotional really speaks volumes to me. All week I have been fretting over myself all this week. It was not until I read another devotional that stated “it was not about me”. Once I took the focus off of me and looked to God who should be geting all the praise and glory for the marvelous things he has done and is doing, then I started feeling the burdens that I was holding on to being lifted. I still have to remind myself daily to look to the hill from which commeth my help. I love the Lord.

• Nice to hear from you, sisters! And Jessica, as for your wanting to play the organ or piano, you are never too old to learn. When the Lord called me to child evangelism some years ago, someone gave me an accordion. So I picked up a beginner’s manual at a music store and started learning and practicing. During the years that followed I played that accordion at countless Bible clubs, Vacation Bible Schools, missions, nursing homes, prisons–and everyone loved it–and many people came to know Christ. Follow your heart on this.

• Krystal says:

Thanks for so much for sharing this. I run the screen at church and sometimes feel this way but I know it’s for God’s glory not my own.

• Jessica says:

I’m with Debbie, this is SO powerful! Don’t let Satan bring you down. That’s exactly how he wants us to feel; CRAPPY!

And, just for the record, I’d loooove to be able to play the organ or the piano. I certaintly wouldn’t care if nobody appreciated me. It’s a gift that I wish I possessed! LoL. Just, you know….for the record. ;)