Praise God for Answered Prayer

Written by Charles Spurgeon

devo-interact-icon-42x42Have you seen the short film “The Other Six Days“? Watch it online and then explore our new series of interactive life lessons based on the video.

Originally written by Charles H. Spurgeon, published in “Mornings & Evenings,” entry for October 30th, AM.

Updated to modern English by Darren Hewer, 2008.

“I will praise you, O LORD, with all my heart” Psalm 9:1

Praise should always follow answered prayer, just like the mist of earth’s gratitude rises when the sun of heaven’s love warms the ground. Has the Lord been gracious to you, and heard your voice as your earnestly pray? Then praise Him as long as you live! Don’t deny a song to Him who has answered your prayer and given you the desire of your heart.

To be silent over God’s mercies is to incur the guilt of ingratitude. It is to act as ungratefully as the nine lepers. After they were cured of their leprosy, they did not even bother to return to give thanks to the Lord who healed them. (Luke 17:11-19)

To forget to praise God is to refuse to benefit ourselves. Praise, like prayer, is one great means of growing our spiritual life. It helps to remove our burdens, to excite our hope, and to increase our faith. It is a healthy and invigorating exercise which quickens the pulse of the believer, and nerves us for fresh enterprises in our Master’s service.

To bless God for His mercy is also a way to benefit our fellow brothers and sisters: “My soul will boast in the LORD; let the afflicted hear and rejoice.” (Psalm 34:2) Others who have been in similar circumstances will take comfort if we say, “Glorify the LORD with me; let us exalt his name together. I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.” (Psalm 34:3-4) Weak hearts will be strengthened, and weak souls will be revived as they listen to our “songs of deliverance.” Their doubts and fears will be assuaged, as we teach and encourage one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs. Then they too will “sing in the ways of the Lord” when they hear us praising His holy name.

Praise is the most heavenly of Christian duties. The angels do not pray, but they never cease to praise both day and night. And we the redeemed, clothed in white robes, with palm-branches in our hands, should never grow tired of singing the new song, “Worthy is the Lamb.”

Question: Has your prayer been answered lately? Please share it with us, or a story about how God has answered your prayer in the past.

About this Author: Charles Spurgeon

148 Responses to “Praise God for Answered Prayer”

• Tom Tom says:

Jannie–
    Thanks for your response. I would suggest, of course, that we take our doctrine from the Word of God rather than what bloggers post. Nowhere in scripture is Mary considered an intercessor. We are all in need of placing our faith, trust, and obedience to the Lord and no one else. (Acts 4:12).

Blessings . . .

• Jannie says:

Tom…..??????
    From what I read from the posts Mary was an intrecessor.
    She came to us as an intrecessor.
    Thank you for your beliefs and answers drawn from the scriptures.
    Mine is in FAITH and Belief in the Trinity. For/with and because of that I dont
    I think I need any definition. You have your comfort zone—-I have mine.
    I prayed and My PRAYER was answered!!!!!!!!!!
    Praise and glory to our awesome God, to Jesus His living son and the Holy Spirit that is with us at all times.

Jannie

• Tom Tom says:

Deanna–
    We praise the Lord with you for answered prayer! I’m wondering, though: You’ve praised God, the Holy Spirit, and Mary, but what about Jesus?

Since 1 Timothy 2:5 says, “For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,” doesn’t that mean we should be praying to Jesus, our one and only mediator between us and God?

Also, can you show me anywhere in scripture where we are told to pray to Mary? After all, Mary was just a sinful human being like the rest of us.

• Deanna says:

Thank you to the Blessed Mother, and the holy spirit as my novena prayers were answered. Prayer is powerful, trust in God.

• Tom Tom says:

Jannie–
    We praise the Lord with you for answered prayer!

If you don’t mind me asking, what do you think 1 Timothy 2:5 means–“For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.”

Also, can you show me anywhere in scripture where we are told/commanded to pray to Mary?

• Jannie says:

Thank you Blessed Mother Mary for interceding and prayer answered. What I prayer and believed was answered . God is magnificent. Praised God, there is none more powerful.
    Our Oggie is recovering. Thank You Jessus!!!!!

• Shadrack says:

I THANK YOU HOLY SPIRIT FOR FAVOUR GRANTED, I UNDERWENT A BLESSED AND SAFE OPERATION.

• Alfred says:

We have been asked to pray “in Jesus’ Name”, for He is our intercessor. So, when my imperfect prayer (from an imperfect person) reaches God the Father, and Jesus has dressed it up, it is a perfect prayer from a perfect person! That is marvelous and praiseworthy. When we pray we are not so much getting God to something for us, as we are getting ourselves in line with His thinking. It says in Isaiah 55:8-9
    8 “For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
    Nor are your ways My ways,” says the Lord.
    9 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
    So are My ways higher than your ways,
    And My thoughts than your thoughts. NKJV
    Then we will want what He wants; and that gives us answered prayer! I praise and worship our awesome God!

• Anna says:

My dear Sharon,
    Thank you for your prayers for our beloved pet dog Spyro. Please continue to lift him up in prayer so that I never again witness another of those horrible seizures because even though the dog doesn’t understand what is happening to him, it is too painful to see him go through that :( and then after the seizure, it takes him a while to come back to his senses :( Let us continue to pray that the Lord will heal him with the meds that he has been taking since 2011. Thank you Sharon. God bless you and your family and let all praise and glory be given to the ONE TRUE HEALER, through Jesus’ Name, Amen!

• Carol says:

Hi Tom your right thank you. “Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness. Dear Lord Jesus thank you for wisdom and kind and correct words. We must consider all people and pray that they lean towards Jesus as their saviour. God Bless you all. Jesus loves you.

• Tom Tom says:

Carol–
    I’m in total agreement with you on this issue, but please keep in mind that people of all faiths (as well as those without any faith at all) post to these blogs. Please reconsider unsubscribing as you may find ways to encourage, as well as correct, those who need prayer.

If you feel sure about your decision, I believe you can go to the bottom of these posting and click on “Manage your subscriptions.” This will take you to a screen on which you can specify which blogs you wish to continue viewing.

The world needs Jesus, and it needs your prayers to Jesus as well.

• Carol says:

I believe and trust the Lord God as my saviour, and believe I should be praying to him and him alone. I would not like to participate in prayers to Mary. Please advise how I can unsubscribe to this website.

• Carol says:

I would like to know how to unsubscribe.

• Tom Tom says:

Donna–
    While we should all praise the Lord Jesus for what he has done, can you please give me a scripture that tells us we should pray to Mary?

In your opinion, what does 1 Timothy 2:5 mean?

• Donna says:

Thank you Mother Mary for hearing my prayers and interceding to you Divine Son on my behalf. I am most grateful for this great gift.

• Sharon says:

to Anna yes praise God for his loving kindness towards us prayer–father God I do pray for the dog for continued health that the meds he is taking will heal him from seizures you are the great physician I pray that these meds will heal him and he won’t have any more bad seizures you love everyone and care for all animals included I pray for this dog and for Anna continue to bless her I pray all of this in JESUS name amen I am praying for you and the dog God b with you always– sharon

• Anna says:

Yes Sharon and all here, I lift up my hands in praise and glory to our awesome God, to Jesus His living son and the Holy Spirit that is with us at all times. I give praise and glory to all 3… Father… Son… Holy Spirit for my life and the blessings that I am left speechless always with only “Thank You” to offer, but all of you here know and that is important. My son’s pet ferret is great and walking on all four legs and happy again and for this I give praise and glory to God. My son will start work soon and in a company he wanted to work in and again praise and glory is all His. My dog Spyro is in the process of being healed from epilepsy and I ask all of you to continue to pray for him that the meds he takes everyday will heal him and he’ll never again get any of those horrible seizures. God is great and Him do I place all my trust. Praise be to Him through Jesus His son and our Lord Saviour. Amen!

• Sharon says:

to Anna– my apologies it ended before I finished we do have a awesome God we do have a loving father who cares for everyone animals included I am happy for you for your son to start working April 3 and that Sita/Situ I walking on all fours we do need to thank God everyday for everything so good for you keep doing that I am happy for you God bless you– sharon

• Sharon says:

to Anna you welcome my pleasure yes we do have a awesome

• Anna says:

Hi Sharon,
    Thank you for your prayers and yes as of today our female ferret Sita (Situ) is walking on all four legs and it’s praise and glory to an awesome God who is filled with compassion for all his creation including animals. Praise to Him who deserves all glory and honour and yes Sharon, my Nasser will start the job which he wanted, which I prayed to God to open a door for him and God did :) and now my son starts there on the 3rd of April :) what a loving God we serve, don’t we Sharon? I can’t stop saying, “Thank you Lord” it’s the first thing I do when I wake up, continue through the day and end my day thanking Him :) for He is the only ONE who will ever come through for us :) thank you Sharon for your prayers and concern. Love to you and all here. Remain blessed always in Jesus’ Name, Amen!

• Sharon says:

to Anna how is Sita/ Situ doing?????? I am praying better God you know Anna’s heart desire for her ferret to get better I pray its better and its walking on all fours again I pray a healing over this ferret you care for everything even animals I pray all of this in JESUS name amen I am praying for you.– sharon

• Anna says:

Dear all,
    Please pray for our female ferret Sita who we call Situ. As of yesterday she has been limping and it’s all of a sudden. My heart aches to see her this way and I’m giving it 3 days, if not we have to take her to the vet. But I trust in the Lord and put all my faith in Him for He has been there for me always, even when we were told that ferrets were not allowed in Kuwait, they are finally here with us and it’s because the Lord made a way where there was no way. Praise be God always and forever in Jesus’ name. I believe with all of you praying for Situ, she will be just fine and there will be no need to take her to the vet because it’s just a sprain and tomorrow by the Grace of God she will be walking on all four legs. Let us pray together for Situ that the Lord will heal her. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

• Sharon says:

to Anna wow congratulations to your son for getting this job I am happy for you and your son God is good– sharon

• Anna says:

Dear all,
    Forgive me my silence. I was in India. On the 2nd of January of this year, I wrote and told you’ll that God answered my prayer for a job interview for my son Nasser. He had completed several interviews and I continued to pray. While in Goa – India, I prayed, “Oh God, I want ZAIN TELECOMMUNICATIONS to call my Nasser and offer him a package before I leave Goa. In Jesus Name I make this request. Amen.” The day before I left Goa for Kuwait, on the 29th of Feb, a day before I could leave Goa, the company called up my son and gave him the offer of SITE MANAGER and he starts working there on the 3rd of April 2016. How can I even begin to explain myself to all of you? I am at a loss for words and all I can say is, GOD IS AWESOME! Please join me in giving Him all the praise and glory for His love for us goes beyond our imagination! Thank you Father. Thank you for loving me and granting my request. Receive my praise and thanks Oh Lord in Jesus’ name. Amen!

• Lynn says:

The Lord answered my prayers for my husbands medical test and Doctors appointment to have a good outcome. I will continue to pray with confidence that the rest of his tests and doctor visits have good results. Amen and Praise Jesus’s Sacred Heart

• Elkay says:

Ester, that is wonderful to hear and than you for sharing! When we pray, God’s character requires that He use His infinite wisdom, goodness and power, knowing all events and all future, to bring about the absolute “best answer” for us in the situation we are in.

God’s goal in prayer is developing a personal relationship with us and His answers are a means He uses to foster self-disclosure, growth and understanding of both Him and ourselves. Prayer is thus a means for God to give us what He wants. The purpose of prayer is not to bend God to our will, but to align ourselves to His will when we pray.

So we pray, “Father, we come into Your presence in Jesus’ name”—that is, “We are not coming to demand our will; we are coming to ask that which we believe is pleasing to Your Son, our Lord, Jesus Christ.” We thank You from our head and from our heart for Ester’s negative report for her recent mammogram. We do not know if it was always negative or if You heard her prayer and healed her before the test. May this wonderful news continue to bless Ester and to build her faith in You and may she live so all might see that the strength to love You and follow Your commands could never have come from her but from Your Holy Spirit. Amen.

• Esther Bradfield says:

What a mighty God we serve!!. The Lord heard
    my prayer for a negative report for a recent
    mammogram. And a negative report came back.!
    praise the lord for answered prayers. I’m so
    very thankful. thank you Lord!!! praise your
    holy name.

• Susan says:

Kevin,

Praise God. Thank you for sharing your testimony. Yes, HE IS GOOD!

• Susan says:

Temy,

WOW! I like that attitude. Yes, let us boast in the Lord. Yes, God’s children should be like this. I agree with you. Our God is good and He want us to experience Him. He so loving.

Thank you Temy for sharing your experience with us. God bless you!

• Susan says:

Sharon,

I agree with you. He was, He is and He will be good to us always. What an awesome God we serve!

• Susan says:

Ann,

Praise God. God is good.

• Susan says:

Maxine,

True, He has been faithful to us so far and I am sure, He will continue show His mercy towards us. I encourage you to just soak in His love, get to know this great God so deeply.

Bless you!

• Susan says:

Salmina,

You are right. God is so good, how much we praise also that is not enough. Because, he is there with us always, His love, His care, His blessings, His protection…yes..He is a good God.

Salmina, sorry to hear your situation. I’ll pray for you.

Father God,

Protect Salmina, be with her, draw her closer to You, make her faith grow and bless Your child. Lord, I pray for her situation. Whatever may be, You give Salmina wisdom and I pray that You change her husband. Thank You for hearing our prayers. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

• Susan says:

Richard,

Mary, is the mother of God. We have to respect her but we don’t have to pray to Mary. We can approach God through Jesus Christ. Through the death of Jesus, we have access to God at any time. In Mathew 1: 11 says..On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.
    So the wise men, worshiped ‘Him”, not the mother Mary. Isn’t?

• Richard says:

Oh, most beautiful flower of Mount Carmel, fruitful vine, splendor of Heaven.

Blessed Mother of the Son of God; Immaculate Virgin, assist me in my necessity

Oh, Star of the Sea, help me and show me you are my Mother.

Oh, Holy Mary, Mother of God, Queen of Heaven and Earth,

I humbly beseech you from the bottom of my heart to succour me in my necessity

(Mention your request here)
    There are none that can withstand your power.

Oh, Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee (3 times)

Holy Mary, I place this prayer in your hands (3 times)

Amen.
    This prayer is never known to fail and is to be said for 3 consecutive days. Publication on granting of the favour must be promised and done.

Thank you for your divine help, I cannot thank you e

• Salmina says:

Praised and glory be to Him who created the earth and the heavens. With His love he then created me in His own image. Thank you God for taking me through 2015. It was a difficult time for me. My husband forced and insisted that I have a relationship.There is and was nothing like that. I thank Lord even after torture I am still strong in the Lord knowing that He is loving. I thank the Lord that I still have employment. Glory and honor to Him

• Maxine says:

Thank you Lord for 2015. I praise you, only you know my trials and by your continuous mercy me and my family are saved. I will praise you and thank you and serve you as my saviour. I pray for 2016 as a blessed year and your will be done. To God be the Glory great things he has done!

• Anna says:

Dear Anne,
    It is not my husband, it’s my 23 year old son Nasser who wants to work for a company here in Kuwait called ZAIN and I had prayed to the Father and told Him to let him get a call for an interview before Christmas and he did! Praise the Lord for that, he has so far completed two interviews with them and now I wait upon the Lord to continue and bless my son with a good package offer and my Nasser starts working there within the next coming days. I continue to put my trust in the Lord for He always comes through for me and I ask you to continue to lift my Nasser in prayer too and as soon as he gets the call to join them, I will inform you and all here and will also give a donation here in thanks to the Lord for His ways which are most definitely not ours for He works in ways we could NEVER even begin to understand! Thank you my dear for your prayers and trust in God that He will come through for my son :)

• Sharon says:

praise God for 2015 it was a pretty good year

• Temy says:

Praise be to God who daily loads us with benefits. I had the most challenging and amazing 2015. God showed himself in my life and my family by answering almost all our innermost heartfelt prayers. I’m in awe as to how my situation changed to financial freedom, spiritual growth, cancer remission for my sister and peace in all ramifications. I am not ashamed of the gospel and I will continually boast in the Lord. He’s indeed a good father.

• Esther says:

Praise be to God! I am humbled by God’s amazing grace. I had lost my job and for the last 3 months I prayed to get one. Today I got the best news– the company I applied at has offered around twice than what I used to get at my former job. I am a single parent of one kid. Through the years, God never ceased taking care of us. Prayers are powerful and God truly answers them. We just need to put our faith and confidence in Him..and also have patience to wait (easier said than done). His answers do not come when we want it, but they always come at the right time. Alleluia!

• kevin morgan says:

God is to be praised. He will, just as he promises , give you any thing you ask. I asked for somethingi didn’t think possible. But I prayed and believed he would answer. God did. God is magnificent.

• Anna Dsouza says:

Dear Anne,
    I am so happy for you that the Lord came through for you and helped you with your financial problems. I pray that your husband finds a job. God is ever so generous and I am sure He will continue to bless you. Keep the faith, no matter how small and He is always there for us.
    God bless you always,
    Anna.

• Anne says:

Praise the Lord. I was struggling with finances. My husband does not work so I am the only bread winner. I have two sons going to private schools. I lost my glasses and I needed to pay insurance for my car. My salary could not pay for all that. I decided to pray two novenas; 13 blessed souls and Infant of the Prague. Last week I got more money than I thought and I was able to pay for all my financial responsibilities. Thank you Lord for answering my prayers.

• Anna says:

Hi Doris Beck,
    It was so sweet of you to share a prayer with me. What I did was, put a stop payment on that bank check and I have sent them the balance by bank to bank transfer from my account in Kuwait to their account in Bank of America, Hester Branch, California. Let us pray, that this time, they will send me my shipment without further delay okay. God has always blessed me in ways I cannot even have the right words to thank Him and He will make sure that this time Air 7 Seas Logistics will ship my boxes without further delay.
    God bless all of you here and may He grant whatever the desires of your heart are, as long as they are in accordance of His will. May He be praised always and forever. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

• Doris Beck Doris Beck says:

Hi Anna,
    Let me join you in praying for your son’s cheque to be found and the boxes to be shipped.

Dear Heavenly Father,
    Thank you that prayer is your idea and that you do in face hear us and answer our prayers.I lift up Anna to you today and the needs of her family. Lord it appears that there is some deceit here on the part of the company, so would you help that to come to light so the cheque can be found and their things shipped? Thank you Lord that you already know about this situation and we leave it in your hands! Amen

• Anna says:

Hi everyone, hope you all are well and God has answered your prayers.
    I am so happy for you Maria. Yes, we serve a wonderful God. There are no words to even imagine His love for us who do not deserve to be loved the way He loves us, but He does. I am praying to Him through St. Jude for Air 7 Seas, a shipping company to located my son’s cheque that they claim to have misplaced even though according to the tracking no. of UPS, it was delivered to them. I know, only God will make them find the cheque of $469 which was the balance we paid for them to ship us our boxes to Kuwait. Please pray they find the cheque and send us our four boxes of our clothes and household things. I will let all of you know as soon as God finds my son’s cheque and we receive our boxes, which I am sure we will, for there is nothing that is impossible for God! May He be praised for all time. In Jesus’ name, I pray, AMEN!
    Be blessed all, Anna (Kuwait)

• Anna says: