Praise God for Answered Prayer

Written by Charles Spurgeon

devo-interact-icon-42x42Have you seen the short film “The Other Six Days“? Watch it online and then explore our new series of interactive life lessons based on the video.

Originally written by Charles H. Spurgeon, published in “Mornings & Evenings,” entry for October 30th, AM.

Updated to modern English by Darren Hewer, 2008.

“I will praise you, O LORD, with all my heart” Psalm 9:1

Praise should always follow answered prayer, just like the mist of earth’s gratitude rises when the sun of heaven’s love warms the ground. Has the Lord been gracious to you, and heard your voice as your earnestly pray? Then praise Him as long as you live! Don’t deny a song to Him who has answered your prayer and given you the desire of your heart.

To be silent over God’s mercies is to incur the guilt of ingratitude. It is to act as ungratefully as the nine lepers. After they were cured of their leprosy, they did not even bother to return to give thanks to the Lord who healed them. (Luke 17:11-19)

To forget to praise God is to refuse to benefit ourselves. Praise, like prayer, is one great means of growing our spiritual life. It helps to remove our burdens, to excite our hope, and to increase our faith. It is a healthy and invigorating exercise which quickens the pulse of the believer, and nerves us for fresh enterprises in our Master’s service.

To bless God for His mercy is also a way to benefit our fellow brothers and sisters: “My soul will boast in the LORD; let the afflicted hear and rejoice.” (Psalm 34:2) Others who have been in similar circumstances will take comfort if we say, “Glorify the LORD with me; let us exalt his name together. I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.” (Psalm 34:3-4) Weak hearts will be strengthened, and weak souls will be revived as they listen to our “songs of deliverance.” Their doubts and fears will be assuaged, as we teach and encourage one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs. Then they too will “sing in the ways of the Lord” when they hear us praising His holy name.

Praise is the most heavenly of Christian duties. The angels do not pray, but they never cease to praise both day and night. And we the redeemed, clothed in white robes, with palm-branches in our hands, should never grow tired of singing the new song, “Worthy is the Lamb.”

Question: Has your prayer been answered lately? Please share it with us, or a story about how God has answered your prayer in the past.

About this Author: Charles Spurgeon

159 Responses to “Praise God for Answered Prayer”

• Tom Tom says:

Mike–
    One more thing:
    Can you show me anywhere in the Bible where purgatory is mentioned? Paul wrote, “To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.” (2 Cor. 5:8).
    Also, “It is appointed for man to die once, and after that the judgment.” (Hebrews 9:27).

• Tom Tom says:

Mike—
    While I’m delighted that your dog got well, I’m curious about several things:

1–Who is St. Rita, and where in the Bible does it say to pray to anyone or anything other than to God and Jesus?

2–What do you think 1 Timothy 2:5 means—“For there is one mediator between God and man, the Man Jesus Christ.”

3–Can you point out in the Bible where we are told to pray to Mary—a woman who admitted to be a sinner in need of a savior? (And Mary said, “My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.” Luke 1:46-47)

4—Who is St. Rita’s “Divine Spouse”?

5—Who are the only people in all of scripture to whom we are to offer praise and worship? Are they not Jesus and God? How then can we sing praises to anyone else?

I look forward to hearing back from you Mike.

• Mike says:

This Prayer works! My dog has been sick and I have prayed 3 days and now he is much better. Thank you Meriful Lord Jesus Christ!
    O Loving Jesus, meek Lamb of God, I a miserable sinner, salute and worship the most Sacred Wound of Your Shoulder on which You bore Your heavy Cross, which so tore Your Flesh and laid bare Your Bones as to inflict on You an anguish greater than any other Wound of Your Most Blessed Body. I adore You, O Jesus most sorrowful; I praise and glorify You and give You thanks for this most sacred and painful Wound, beseeching You by the crushing burden of Your heavy Cross to be merciful to the souls in purgatory and to me, a sinner, to forgive me all my mortal and venial sins, and to lead me on towards Heaven along the Way of Your Cross. (mention request) Amen. # Our Father, 3 Hail Mary, 3 Glory Be

• Mike says:

Thank You St. Rita!

Holy patroness of those in need, St. Rita, so humble, pure, and patient, whose pleadings with your Divine Spouse are irresistible, obtain for us, from your crucified Jesus, our request

(Mention your need here…)

Be propitious towards us for the greater glory of God and yourself, and we promise to honor and sing your praises ever afterward.
    Amen.

Say 3 of each…Our Father…Hail Mary…Glory Be…

• Elkay says:

Maxine, thank you for your comment. As Christians, we are to believe God, not only for salvation but for everything in our lives and that includes answered prayers. Through them, God builds our faith to the point of strong faith that knows He is faithful to accomplish all He says He will do. The Lord may not do every miraculous thing we ask of Him, but He does some extraordinary work in and through each person who is obedient and willing to trust in Him.

God is not looking for perfection as none of us have that but, rather He is seeking people willing to believe in Him and trust Him as He transforms them through sometimes what we see as hard times. Recall Jesus’ promise in Matt 7:11, “If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!” Each day’s situations and needs are opportunities for us to pray to and trust Him and do what He says—our faith muscles will grow, and He will be glorified.

• Maxine says:

Rhulani what power in that prayer. In God’s timing and what is pleasing to him. Amen

• Elkay says:

Rhulani, thank you for posting God’s “yes” answer to your prayer. Many times we fail to pray over a matter because we feel it may not be “important enough” but even the hairs on our heads are numbered. So we pray, “Lord, for each of us, bring back to life what will please You and advance Your kingdom. Let it come in whatever form You desire. Let it be in Your time and Your way. Thank you, Lord, for resurrecting our lives in accord with what You know to be best.” In Jesus’ precious Name, we all pray, saying “Amen”.

• Rhulani says:

Yes severally times God answered my prayers.even today I upset my daughter and I feel that she is not happy then I prayed to God give her peace and she phone and talk good to me.within 2hours so I thanks Almighty who answer my prayer

• Tom Tom says:

Aldo–
    You’ll notice that almost no one who is told that Jesus Christ is the ONLY mediator responds. The unbiblical dogma of the Roman Catholic church is extremely hard to overcome.

Keep on conveying the truth. There may be a few who will accept the biblical teachings as the only truth.