Praise God for Answered Prayer

Written by Charles Spurgeon

devo-interact-icon-42x42Have you seen the short film “The Other Six Days“? Watch it online and then explore our new series of interactive life lessons based on the video.

Originally written by Charles H. Spurgeon, published in “Mornings & Evenings,” entry for October 30th, AM.

Updated to modern English by Darren Hewer, 2008.

“I will praise you, O LORD, with all my heart” Psalm 9:1

Praise should always follow answered prayer, just like the mist of earth’s gratitude rises when the sun of heaven’s love warms the ground. Has the Lord been gracious to you, and heard your voice as your earnestly pray? Then praise Him as long as you live! Don’t deny a song to Him who has answered your prayer and given you the desire of your heart.

To be silent over God’s mercies is to incur the guilt of ingratitude. It is to act as ungratefully as the nine lepers. After they were cured of their leprosy, they did not even bother to return to give thanks to the Lord who healed them. (Luke 17:11-19)

To forget to praise God is to refuse to benefit ourselves. Praise, like prayer, is one great means of growing our spiritual life. It helps to remove our burdens, to excite our hope, and to increase our faith. It is a healthy and invigorating exercise which quickens the pulse of the believer, and nerves us for fresh enterprises in our Master’s service.

To bless God for His mercy is also a way to benefit our fellow brothers and sisters: “My soul will boast in the LORD; let the afflicted hear and rejoice.” (Psalm 34:2) Others who have been in similar circumstances will take comfort if we say, “Glorify the LORD with me; let us exalt his name together. I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.” (Psalm 34:3-4) Weak hearts will be strengthened, and weak souls will be revived as they listen to our “songs of deliverance.” Their doubts and fears will be assuaged, as we teach and encourage one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs. Then they too will “sing in the ways of the Lord” when they hear us praising His holy name.

Praise is the most heavenly of Christian duties. The angels do not pray, but they never cease to praise both day and night. And we the redeemed, clothed in white robes, with palm-branches in our hands, should never grow tired of singing the new song, “Worthy is the Lamb.”

Question: Has your prayer been answered lately? Please share it with us, or a story about how God has answered your prayer in the past.

About this Author: Charles Spurgeon

106 Responses to “Praise God for Answered Prayer”

• Anna Dsouza says:

Dear Anne,
    I am so happy for you that the Lord came through for you and helped you with your financial problems. I pray that your husband finds a job. God is ever so generous and I am sure He will continue to bless you. Keep the faith, no matter how small and He is always there for us.
    God bless you always,
    Anna.

• Anne says:

Praise the Lord. I was struggling with finances. My husband does not work so I am the only bread winner. I have two sons going to private schools. I lost my glasses and I needed to pay insurance for my car. My salary could not pay for all that. I decided to pray two novenas; 13 blessed souls and Infant of the Prague. Last week I got more money than I thought and I was able to pay for all my financial responsibilities. Thank you Lord for answering my prayers.

• Anna says:

Hi Doris Beck,
    It was so sweet of you to share a prayer with me. What I did was, put a stop payment on that bank check and I have sent them the balance by bank to bank transfer from my account in Kuwait to their account in Bank of America, Hester Branch, California. Let us pray, that this time, they will send me my shipment without further delay okay. God has always blessed me in ways I cannot even have the right words to thank Him and He will make sure that this time Air 7 Seas Logistics will ship my boxes without further delay.
    God bless all of you here and may He grant whatever the desires of your heart are, as long as they are in accordance of His will. May He be praised always and forever. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

• Doris Beck Doris Beck says:

Hi Anna,
    Let me join you in praying for your son’s cheque to be found and the boxes to be shipped.

Dear Heavenly Father,
    Thank you that prayer is your idea and that you do in face hear us and answer our prayers.I lift up Anna to you today and the needs of her family. Lord it appears that there is some deceit here on the part of the company, so would you help that to come to light so the cheque can be found and their things shipped? Thank you Lord that you already know about this situation and we leave it in your hands! Amen

• Anna says:

Hi everyone, hope you all are well and God has answered your prayers.
    I am so happy for you Maria. Yes, we serve a wonderful God. There are no words to even imagine His love for us who do not deserve to be loved the way He loves us, but He does. I am praying to Him through St. Jude for Air 7 Seas, a shipping company to located my son’s cheque that they claim to have misplaced even though according to the tracking no. of UPS, it was delivered to them. I know, only God will make them find the cheque of $469 which was the balance we paid for them to ship us our boxes to Kuwait. Please pray they find the cheque and send us our four boxes of our clothes and household things. I will let all of you know as soon as God finds my son’s cheque and we receive our boxes, which I am sure we will, for there is nothing that is impossible for God! May He be praised for all time. In Jesus’ name, I pray, AMEN!
    Be blessed all, Anna (Kuwait)

• Anna says: