Praise God for Answered Prayer

Written by Charles Spurgeon

devo-interact-icon-42x42Have you seen the short film “The Other Six Days“? Watch it online and then explore our new series of interactive life lessons based on the video.

Originally written by Charles H. Spurgeon, published in “Mornings & Evenings,” entry for October 30th, AM.

Updated to modern English by Darren Hewer, 2008.

“I will praise you, O LORD, with all my heart” Psalm 9:1

Praise should always follow answered prayer, just like the mist of earth’s gratitude rises when the sun of heaven’s love warms the ground. Has the Lord been gracious to you, and heard your voice as your earnestly pray? Then praise Him as long as you live! Don’t deny a song to Him who has answered your prayer and given you the desire of your heart.

To be silent over God’s mercies is to incur the guilt of ingratitude. It is to act as ungratefully as the nine lepers. After they were cured of their leprosy, they did not even bother to return to give thanks to the Lord who healed them. (Luke 17:11-19)

To forget to praise God is to refuse to benefit ourselves. Praise, like prayer, is one great means of growing our spiritual life. It helps to remove our burdens, to excite our hope, and to increase our faith. It is a healthy and invigorating exercise which quickens the pulse of the believer, and nerves us for fresh enterprises in our Master’s service.

To bless God for His mercy is also a way to benefit our fellow brothers and sisters: “My soul will boast in the LORD; let the afflicted hear and rejoice.” (Psalm 34:2) Others who have been in similar circumstances will take comfort if we say, “Glorify the LORD with me; let us exalt his name together. I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.” (Psalm 34:3-4) Weak hearts will be strengthened, and weak souls will be revived as they listen to our “songs of deliverance.” Their doubts and fears will be assuaged, as we teach and encourage one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs. Then they too will “sing in the ways of the Lord” when they hear us praising His holy name.

Praise is the most heavenly of Christian duties. The angels do not pray, but they never cease to praise both day and night. And we the redeemed, clothed in white robes, with palm-branches in our hands, should never grow tired of singing the new song, “Worthy is the Lamb.”

Question: Has your prayer been answered lately? Please share it with us, or a story about how God has answered your prayer in the past.

About this Author: Charles Spurgeon

91 Responses to “Praise God for Answered Prayer”

• Kathryn Kathryn says:

Yes God, we praise You for answered prayer and we also pray for those who feel sad and rejected when their prayers do not seem to be answered. We pray above all Lord that we may be drawn closer to you in the good times and the difficult times and that our one heart’s desire is to be faithful and obedient to Your word and to the teaching of Your precious Son, Jesus. We ask this in His name. Amen

• Sharon says:

great article and great comments too thank you all to Anna in the bible it says if you have a faith as small as a mustard seed nothing is impossible with God as your helper I am praying for you keep on for the 9 days good for you God bless you– sharon

• Anna says:

I forgot to mention, there’s also a power novena to St. Jude that I have been saying and today is only the 4th day and St. Jude is known to be the Patrol of hopeless cases. I will continue to pray the novena till I complete my 9 days. My faith is as small as a mustard seed, but that is all that is needed to reach out to the Father through His Spirit and through His Precious Son Jesus Christ, Our Lord and Our Saviour. Amen!

• Anna says:

I want everyone to know that we serve a living God! A compassionate God! A God who loves us and cares for us and all we go through. If our earthly fathers can care for us, how much more our Father in heaven? My son has two ferrets. We tried to do their paper work through someone back home and were refused :( my son and myself were heart broken :( It was hard for me to reach out to God, my heart ached, couldn’t pray, didn’t have much energy as I cried too much, didn’t eat, felt weak both in spirit and body, so I requested friends to pray, prayer groups to pray and I slowly started to pray myself and God opened another door through which my son found someone else in the States. This person contacted their agent in the country of our residence and yesterday, we received good news :) and although their charges are huge, my son is willing to pay, as long as his pet ferrets return with him, that is how much he loves them and more importantly, I wanted God to make it possible for the sake of my sons soul, that it would be saved and God made a way where there was no way! God changes people, He changes things. There is no problem bigger than God for God is bigger than all, in all, through all and upon all and God never wants to lose a soul. My son is more into science and with this miracle, I can now speak to him about God and how because of Jesus and through the Holy Spirit God heard my prayers and saw my tears and all is well. Someday, I will sit my son down and tell him that it was God who helped him through his time in the States and it was God who opened a door for him to take his pets back home. Praise be the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen!

• cynthia says:

My Father,King,saviour,Friend,counsellor, healler,Almighty I give honour, praises, glory to my God, our God, your God. His worthy all the glory!!! All the praises. He is my whole life. I praise God for giving his son Jesus christ, to safe me!!! Whatever I desire, I believe I received when I asked in “Jesus name”. I’m not gona wait untill I see results, I’m gona thank God right now!!! God is faithfull to his word, I’m a blessed child. Gods the vine, I’m the branch and surely I bear friut. My children see and wittness Gods faithfullness. Ishia 45-work in my life today. Amen!! Abraham,Isaac and Jacobs blessings, work in my life today, I’m their bloodline, Amen!!! If Gods for me, no man can touch me. God commanded his Angels to open up th super natural realms on me!!! Amen so it be

• Daniel Ahawo says:

Thank you lord so much for the answered prayer, I have been praying from march 2015 to get a miracle money, (which is not long) to take my kids back to school, yesterday 4th I told them to prepare they’ll be going to school tomorrow not even knowing where the money will come from, though I applied for a loan but I was told in the bank that the latest I can get it is Wednesday 6/5/2015, but as I woke up at 3 AM at Dorn going to the toilets today I took my phone to Google some prayers because i had no sleep in my head, the first massage i saw is that the money i applied for has been deposited into my account. Thank you father and your name be praised for ever and ever amen, you are a true and a real God. My advice for you my fellow Christians, never give up on prayers, pray till your prayers is answered, God will never let you down. Am his witness, i can testify, he’s a true God…

• Daniel says:

I thank the almighty father, my loan to clear the debts I owes people have been approved and I can get it anytime soon, Got thank you so much and your name be praised forever and ever amen

• Sharon says:

praising God for his love for us and that we can live in a such lovely country. good article thank you f0r posting this God bless you all

• gemma says:

I thank God for his unconditional love and mercy for me and my family. I praise him, worship him, honor his name and love him with all my heart and might. Thank you Jesus for listening and granting our prayers always. He has blessed us with divine favors and miracles. Thank you for filling me with your divine peace, joy, unconditional love and protection.
    1) I was bypassed for a promotion which i knew i was over qualified for at work. My character and reputation was under attackec by my boss. I cried out to the Lord and asked that i would find another job with a good schedule and better pay. I applied and interviewef for a position in another dept. After 3 months of continued prayers, I was granted this position with better working conditions, pay, and working environment.
    2) i was blessed with another part time job close to my house.
    3) God healed my husband’s shoulder pain.
    4) God’s presence in our lives has changed our lives for the better. my children are know how to pray, thank God, seek him and praise him and they give me testimonies on how they are spared from danger and other divine favors they receive from him.
    I encourage everyone to keep their eyes, mind and energy focused on the Lord despite going through problems. Acknowledge him in everything you do in your life. No fear. The Lord is always with us. Ask and you shall receive, knock and the door will open, seek and you will find. I also pray the prayer psalm 91 and the jesus cover me with your precious blood. Very powerful prayers.
    I hope these testimonies help and inspire you to stay with the Lord no matter what happens in your life. One thing to receive blessings is to forgive those who hurt you in the past and present. Pray for those people who persecute you who make your lives miserable. Surrender your pain, sufferings, resentment and problems to tne Lord and ask him to fill you with his divine peave and love. I guarantee you, you will see a big change in your life. All you need is God Have faith in his promises. He is faithful in his promises and is never late.
    Thank you jesus for being in my life.

• Kate says:

It is great to rejoice in the Lord!

• Vicki says:

Praise God that He gives us saving faith–and then blesses us when we exercise that faith. He gives us a talent, and then blesses us when we use it. All good gifts are from God. Praise God for answered prayer…for working in the life of a young man to cause him to see that drugs were not helping him, that he has decided to make changes in his use of recreational drugs and by faith that this young man will be saved and God will make major healing changes inside of him. Praise God who is able to do exceedingly above all that we even ask for.

• Maxine says:

Praises be the One and Only God, Lord of all. He sees and knows. Thank you for your mercy you heard and answered my prayer and I am truly thankfull. Lord Jesus you are so worthy of praise and deserved to be praised night and day. I feel so humbled by your love for me. Thank you Lord for hearing and answering my prayer. Amen

• Shelley says:

Thank you both for your comments and may the Lord our God bless you both, in Jesus Mighty name Amen

• Mae Asis says:

Thank you Praise God our Father! He gave me an internship to complete my requirements in school! Hallelujah! In Jesus’ name Amen!

• maria says:

Tnank you Lord Jesus and his blesses mother for prayers answered. in desperate need over at lot of
    situations. we have had a lot of heartache with deaths of family members, and a childs health which we have had good news with. Prayers and novenas never fail. God is always near believe in him and he will help and comfort you if you ask. I pray almost every day. Thank you

• Shelley says:

May the Lord our God bless you Cheryl.

• Cheryl says:

I was researching thankfulness for answered prayers & ended up here. I knew I was exactly where I was supposed to be when the first comment I read was Lisa’s about her dog, because I’m thankful for God answering my prayers in nearly identical circumstances. My mom’s little dog is 13 years old, & with the exception of a heart problem he’s in relative good health despite his age. However, he got sick all of a sudden, right after my mom was unexpectedly hospitalized last week. I prayed that God would heal her dog if it was His will; that He would give us more time to love and be with him. One thing the vet had to check for was cancer, & I could see how worried my mom was. Whereas I’d normally worry (but not let her see it), I realized how peaceful I felt while the vet ran the tests. There wasn’t any cancer that she could see, & after being treated my mom’s dog seemed so much better. He’s continued to improve. God heard even this prayer, as small as it may seem, & to borrow Lisa’s words, I know He did this. I am so thankful to know, pray to & praise our compassionate Lord, & I’m thankful that I can join those here in doing the same.

• Kate says:

Dear Lisa, thank you for sharing your story here. May you be blessed with increased faith this Christmas. God is good and our hope in Him is sure. Peace to you! Kate

• Lisa says:

My dog is my whole life.. he is my child, my companion, my bed sharer, my everything and at only 6yrs old his xrays showed what looked like cancer. The vet said if the antibiotics don’t work it most probably is and if so it is the one that can’t be treated. Dogs that have that type only live a few months. The antibiotics didn’t work and I thought I could die from fear and worry. I never ask God for anything, and I have a lot of bad things happen in my life, but I begged him to please don’t take my baby. I am grateful for every day I have with him and it would be the end of me. On returning to the vet after the antibiotics didn’t work and he seemed worse he was xrayed again and found no cancer. I KNOW God did this, I know it. Thanks for listening :-)

• Tom Tom says:

Joy Kh–
    We serve an awesome God who is always ready to hear the plea of a humble and contrite heart. Praise Him that He had patience with you and revealed Himself in a very special way!

• Joy Kh says:

I really needed to thank my personal saviour Jesus Christ. I have wandered away from Him though I come from a christian family. And a wake up call from God changed my life completely. I asked God for his forgiveness and asked for something which was impossible to me and that I’ll change my lifestyle forever until I see Him face to face. And He just showed me a sign leading to the greatest miracle. All I can say is, do not give up on God. I am not making things up but God Lives today… and pray with faith and ask Him with a thankful heart. Remember that you have already started showing faith when you pray and ask. You lose nothing. And ask all in the name of Jesus Christ and see the change . I love you Lord. I love you Jesus Christ.

• Sharon says:

I praise God for his continual provision for us. my husband went through a teachers strike even he was not involved he still did picket duty to support the teachers and still God provided for us in ALL ways praise God for his love and provision still praying for a financial breakthrough from money owing us from the government from the strike we didn’t get full pay during the strike and just a financial breakthrough

• Anita Garcia says:

Took my 88 yo mom with slzheimers for eye appt due to her macular degeneration and doc said vision worse and referred us to specialist for possible eye injections. I worried for a week. I didn’t want to put mom thru that, but didn’t want her to go blind.i prayed to god. Eye specialist said vision was20/40 and there was no leakage and no treatment required. What a relief. I thanked god!

• Mary Pinckney Mary Pinckney says:

Laura,
    We praise God with you today! He is such a faithful God. I pray that you will continue to see changes daily. May He continue to surround your family with His love and grace. In Jesus name,
    Mary

• Laura says:

So grateful for God’s perfect timing in answering this prayer. For the past two years my 80 year old mother has endured, loss, grief and health issues that has resulted in a depression that has kept her from doing most everything by herself. After her spouse died in August we moved her to Texas closer to her daughters and TODAY she was able to prepare a dish and walk downstairs to a senior potluck all by herself. This is the first step for her to try to live independently again. Praise God for answering our plea that she would try to keep moving forward with life. Amen!

• Chris says:

keisha…we rejoice in jesus great faithfulness in your life!!

• Keisha says:

I’ve been praying and asking loved ones to pray for me. You see I have gotten myself into quite a mess. I’ve made some poor decisions with my finances when I believed my income would continue to grow. I suffer from Major Depression, low self esteem, and marital problems. I’ve had friends say hurtful things because they don’t understand clinical depression. I have a son who depends on me and always tried to help my sister and mother. But when I got laid off and couldn’t find work, all of my problems compounded. I cried out to The Lord and he came to my rescue. I had an impossible financial need, one that seemed hopeless to resolve. But I continued to pray and tell God I trust him and he heard my cry and sent a blessing too great to explain. I encourage everyone to hold on even when it’s seems hopeless. Keep your Faith in God no matter what!’

• Chris says:

victoria ramos…we rejoice in all of Gods great faithfulness to you and your offspring. blessings!

• Victoria Ramos says:

I have been praying to my Almighty father that my daughter Maria would not leace to Charlotte, North Carolina as soon as next year. She was very adamant about leaving and I prayed God for a miracle for her not to leave unless it was god’s will. I truly believe with all my heart he has answered my prayer. Maria had been struggling with college and since she wants to be an RN, today we went and she enrolled into a 14 month program for medical assistant, I’m praying that she will completely change her mind and stay here in California. My heavenly, father has answered my prayer. I have been praying for my girls, doing intercession for them, thankful prayers, morning prayers, prayers for sleep and It feels wonderful to see thst he answered my prayer and that their attitudes have also changed…. yay God is AWesome! !!! I love him so much!! Praise Jesus for his unconditional love and mercy that endures forever!!! Hallelujah and Amen!!!!! I kust wanted to share it with you all. God bless you all.

• babysteps says:

I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.” He relieved the fears I had for my daughter. Thank you Lord!

• Diana says:

Thank you, dear Father in Heaven for your answered prayers today. Bless you and thank you for all you do. I will continue to draw close and try and live my life by You. Thank you!

• Sharon says:

praising God for life that we can live and that HE gives us life to live daily

• Arthur says:

I have a friend of almost 50 years who had a series of operations on his intestines due to scare tissue that would close off his bowl. The doctors felt strongly that if it happened again they could not do any more operations. After some years it happened again and they were just waiting to see how his situation progressed. This was life threating. I began to pray will great earnestness over three days. I began to have a sense of knowing that he would be healed. When I called the hospital the last time he answered and said his condition was essentially normal and they even were considering discharging him that day. They wanted to be cautious and let him leave the next day.

• Sharon says:

we are praising God for small answers in prayer for a young man with cancer but are still praying for continued and complete healing for him

• Al says:

The Most High has saved my job and allowed me to continue to work. I will always praise His Holy Name!

• Shelley says:

Dear Father God,

Lord I Know that you are an awesome God, but You are also my savior too! Lord I lift up all who read this message that they will be encouraged and will keep on praying at all times in all areas of there lives. In Jesus Mighty Name amen

• Jill says:

Carmen,
    I am so happy for you! God is an AWESOME God yesterday, today and tomorrow…ALWAYS! God Bless!

Hi Jan, It is pretty cool to hear stories like Carmen’s, isn’t it?! And to know that God has a miraculous way of supplying each of our needs that is unique to us. Your miracle may come in the gift from a stranger or it may come from God leading you to make different decisions about your finances. We often get disillusioned that it is our ability to make money that supplies our needs but ultimately it is God’s plan that takes care of all that we need. We just see some as more miraculous than others.

Let me remind you of the words of Jesus when He said, “So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’… Your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” (Matthew 6:31-33) God knows all that you need and He has a plan of how He will provide for those needs. Our job is not to figure out how we can make it happen but rather to focus our attention on God and follow His direction in life. That way when He leads us into the plan that He has we are ready to obey and make the choices that He leads us to. Sometimes He is going to lead us to get out and do a job search, other times He will guide the way we budget, other times it will be through an unexpected windfall, and other times it will be through severe testing. But we can always trust that God’s provision is always perfect for us and for His plan no matter how it looks for us.

Heavenly Father, I thank You for the plan that You have to provide for Jan’s needs. You know that she has been praying for a long time and it seems like nothing has changed. Father, I ask that You would help Jan to let go of the stress and worry and to trust in Your plan. Help her to focus her attention on knowing You better so that she is able to follow Your leading and direction. Give her peace and contentment. In Jesus’ name, amen.

• Jan says:

I am in a similar situation – have been praying and praising for 2.5 years – need help soon.

• Jan says:

I could use a miracle like that – you have no idea!

• Carmen says:

I just discovered your website and the Holy Spirit spoke to me and told me to give God’ s praise for all the glorious things He has done for me. Years ago, I was about to lose my house in Florida. I was just separated from my ex-husband and I became a single mother with 3 young children. I always believe in God. This miracle happened in year 2000. At this time, early in the morning around 6:00 am I used to listen to “Prayer Circle” in WRMB. I sent my prayer request asking to pray for my children and explain my situation about losing my house. A lady read my request on the radio. This is where the miracle happened. The lady called me and told me that some people had called to offer their help. One of them called me and met with me. He told me that he was driving on the highway and when he turned the radio on he heard the prayer request. He never listened to that radio station before and He thought it was God working on my behalf. I was 6 months behind on my mortgage plus interest. This God’s man and his church paid the debt for me. Plus the next year they continue to pay y my mortgage monthly on their own. Plus they paid off my car. When it was back to school time they still help me with my children. This man was sent from God. God is a Great and Powerful God. I want to dedicate myself to Him to serve Him in spirit and in truth. I love you Father God. In Jesus’ name AMEN.