Praise God for Answered Prayer

Written by Charles Spurgeon

devo-interact-icon-42x42Have you seen the short film “The Other Six Days“? Watch it online and then explore our new series of interactive life lessons based on the video.

Originally written by Charles H. Spurgeon, published in “Mornings & Evenings,” entry for October 30th, AM.

Updated to modern English by Darren Hewer, 2008.

“I will praise you, O LORD, with all my heart” Psalm 9:1

Praise should always follow answered prayer, just like the mist of earth’s gratitude rises when the sun of heaven’s love warms the ground. Has the Lord been gracious to you, and heard your voice as your earnestly pray? Then praise Him as long as you live! Don’t deny a song to Him who has answered your prayer and given you the desire of your heart.

To be silent over God’s mercies is to incur the guilt of ingratitude. It is to act as ungratefully as the nine lepers. After they were cured of their leprosy, they did not even bother to return to give thanks to the Lord who healed them. (Luke 17:11-19)

To forget to praise God is to refuse to benefit ourselves. Praise, like prayer, is one great means of growing our spiritual life. It helps to remove our burdens, to excite our hope, and to increase our faith. It is a healthy and invigorating exercise which quickens the pulse of the believer, and nerves us for fresh enterprises in our Master’s service.

To bless God for His mercy is also a way to benefit our fellow brothers and sisters: “My soul will boast in the LORD; let the afflicted hear and rejoice.” (Psalm 34:2) Others who have been in similar circumstances will take comfort if we say, “Glorify the LORD with me; let us exalt his name together. I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.” (Psalm 34:3-4) Weak hearts will be strengthened, and weak souls will be revived as they listen to our “songs of deliverance.” Their doubts and fears will be assuaged, as we teach and encourage one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs. Then they too will “sing in the ways of the Lord” when they hear us praising His holy name.

Praise is the most heavenly of Christian duties. The angels do not pray, but they never cease to praise both day and night. And we the redeemed, clothed in white robes, with palm-branches in our hands, should never grow tired of singing the new song, “Worthy is the Lamb.”

Question: Has your prayer been answered lately? Please share it with us, or a story about how God has answered your prayer in the past.

About this Author: Charles Spurgeon

121 Responses to “Praise God for Answered Prayer”

• Susan says:

Kevin,

Praise God. Thank you for sharing your testimony. Yes, HE IS GOOD!

• Susan says:

Temy,

WOW! I like that attitude. Yes, let us boast in the Lord. Yes, God’s children should be like this. I agree with you. Our God is good and He want us to experience Him. He so loving.

Thank you Temy for sharing your experience with us. God bless you!

• Susan says:

Sharon,

I agree with you. He was, He is and He will be good to us always. What an awesome God we serve!

• Susan says:

Ann,

Praise God. God is good.

• Susan says:

Maxine,

True, He has been faithful to us so far and I am sure, He will continue show His mercy towards us. I encourage you to just soak in His love, get to know this great God so deeply.

Bless you!

• Susan says:

Salmina,

You are right. God is so good, how much we praise also that is not enough. Because, he is there with us always, His love, His care, His blessings, His protection…yes..He is a good God.

Salmina, sorry to hear your situation. I’ll pray for you.

Father God,

Protect Salmina, be with her, draw her closer to You, make her faith grow and bless Your child. Lord, I pray for her situation. Whatever may be, You give Salmina wisdom and I pray that You change her husband. Thank You for hearing our prayers. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

• Susan says:

Richard,

Mary, is the mother of God. We have to respect her but we don’t have to pray to Mary. We can approach God through Jesus Christ. Through the death of Jesus, we have access to God at any time. In Mathew 1: 11 says..On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.
    So the wise men, worshiped ‘Him”, not the mother Mary. Isn’t?

• Richard says:

Oh, most beautiful flower of Mount Carmel, fruitful vine, splendor of Heaven.

Blessed Mother of the Son of God; Immaculate Virgin, assist me in my necessity

Oh, Star of the Sea, help me and show me you are my Mother.

Oh, Holy Mary, Mother of God, Queen of Heaven and Earth,

I humbly beseech you from the bottom of my heart to succour me in my necessity

(Mention your request here)
    There are none that can withstand your power.

Oh, Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee (3 times)

Holy Mary, I place this prayer in your hands (3 times)

Amen.
    This prayer is never known to fail and is to be said for 3 consecutive days. Publication on granting of the favour must be promised and done.

Thank you for your divine help, I cannot thank you e

• Salmina says:

Praised and glory be to Him who created the earth and the heavens. With His love he then created me in His own image. Thank you God for taking me through 2015. It was a difficult time for me. My husband forced and insisted that I have a relationship.There is and was nothing like that. I thank Lord even after torture I am still strong in the Lord knowing that He is loving. I thank the Lord that I still have employment. Glory and honor to Him

• Maxine says:

Thank you Lord for 2015. I praise you, only you know my trials and by your continuous mercy me and my family are saved. I will praise you and thank you and serve you as my saviour. I pray for 2016 as a blessed year and your will be done. To God be the Glory great things he has done!

• Anna says:

Dear Anne,
    It is not my husband, it’s my 23 year old son Nasser who wants to work for a company here in Kuwait called ZAIN and I had prayed to the Father and told Him to let him get a call for an interview before Christmas and he did! Praise the Lord for that, he has so far completed two interviews with them and now I wait upon the Lord to continue and bless my son with a good package offer and my Nasser starts working there within the next coming days. I continue to put my trust in the Lord for He always comes through for me and I ask you to continue to lift my Nasser in prayer too and as soon as he gets the call to join them, I will inform you and all here and will also give a donation here in thanks to the Lord for His ways which are most definitely not ours for He works in ways we could NEVER even begin to understand! Thank you my dear for your prayers and trust in God that He will come through for my son :)

• Sharon says:

praise God for 2015 it was a pretty good year

• Temy says:

Praise be to God who daily loads us with benefits. I had the most challenging and amazing 2015. God showed himself in my life and my family by answering almost all our innermost heartfelt prayers. I’m in awe as to how my situation changed to financial freedom, spiritual growth, cancer remission for my sister and peace in all ramifications. I am not ashamed of the gospel and I will continually boast in the Lord. He’s indeed a good father.

• Esther says:

Praise be to God! I am humbled by God’s amazing grace. I had lost my job and for the last 3 months I prayed to get one. Today I got the best news– the company I applied at has offered around twice than what I used to get at my former job. I am a single parent of one kid. Through the years, God never ceased taking care of us. Prayers are powerful and God truly answers them. We just need to put our faith and confidence in Him..and also have patience to wait (easier said than done). His answers do not come when we want it, but they always come at the right time. Alleluia!

• kevin morgan says:

God is to be praised. He will, just as he promises , give you any thing you ask. I asked for somethingi didn’t think possible. But I prayed and believed he would answer. God did. God is magnificent.

• Anna Dsouza says:

Dear Anne,
    I am so happy for you that the Lord came through for you and helped you with your financial problems. I pray that your husband finds a job. God is ever so generous and I am sure He will continue to bless you. Keep the faith, no matter how small and He is always there for us.
    God bless you always,
    Anna.

• Anne says:

Praise the Lord. I was struggling with finances. My husband does not work so I am the only bread winner. I have two sons going to private schools. I lost my glasses and I needed to pay insurance for my car. My salary could not pay for all that. I decided to pray two novenas; 13 blessed souls and Infant of the Prague. Last week I got more money than I thought and I was able to pay for all my financial responsibilities. Thank you Lord for answering my prayers.

• Anna says:

Hi Doris Beck,
    It was so sweet of you to share a prayer with me. What I did was, put a stop payment on that bank check and I have sent them the balance by bank to bank transfer from my account in Kuwait to their account in Bank of America, Hester Branch, California. Let us pray, that this time, they will send me my shipment without further delay okay. God has always blessed me in ways I cannot even have the right words to thank Him and He will make sure that this time Air 7 Seas Logistics will ship my boxes without further delay.
    God bless all of you here and may He grant whatever the desires of your heart are, as long as they are in accordance of His will. May He be praised always and forever. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

• Doris Beck Doris Beck says:

Hi Anna,
    Let me join you in praying for your son’s cheque to be found and the boxes to be shipped.

Dear Heavenly Father,
    Thank you that prayer is your idea and that you do in face hear us and answer our prayers.I lift up Anna to you today and the needs of her family. Lord it appears that there is some deceit here on the part of the company, so would you help that to come to light so the cheque can be found and their things shipped? Thank you Lord that you already know about this situation and we leave it in your hands! Amen

• Anna says:

Hi everyone, hope you all are well and God has answered your prayers.
    I am so happy for you Maria. Yes, we serve a wonderful God. There are no words to even imagine His love for us who do not deserve to be loved the way He loves us, but He does. I am praying to Him through St. Jude for Air 7 Seas, a shipping company to located my son’s cheque that they claim to have misplaced even though according to the tracking no. of UPS, it was delivered to them. I know, only God will make them find the cheque of $469 which was the balance we paid for them to ship us our boxes to Kuwait. Please pray they find the cheque and send us our four boxes of our clothes and household things. I will let all of you know as soon as God finds my son’s cheque and we receive our boxes, which I am sure we will, for there is nothing that is impossible for God! May He be praised for all time. In Jesus’ name, I pray, AMEN!
    Be blessed all, Anna (Kuwait)

• Anna says: