Praise God for Answered Prayer

Written by Charles Spurgeon

devo-interact-icon-42x42Have you seen the short film “The Other Six Days“? Watch it online and then explore our new series of interactive life lessons based on the video.

Originally written by Charles H. Spurgeon, published in “Mornings & Evenings,” entry for October 30th, AM.

Updated to modern English by Darren Hewer, 2008.

“I will praise you, O LORD, with all my heart” Psalm 9:1

Praise should always follow answered prayer, just like the mist of earth’s gratitude rises when the sun of heaven’s love warms the ground. Has the Lord been gracious to you, and heard your voice as your earnestly pray? Then praise Him as long as you live! Don’t deny a song to Him who has answered your prayer and given you the desire of your heart.

To be silent over God’s mercies is to incur the guilt of ingratitude. It is to act as ungratefully as the nine lepers. After they were cured of their leprosy, they did not even bother to return to give thanks to the Lord who healed them. (Luke 17:11-19)

To forget to praise God is to refuse to benefit ourselves. Praise, like prayer, is one great means of growing our spiritual life. It helps to remove our burdens, to excite our hope, and to increase our faith. It is a healthy and invigorating exercise which quickens the pulse of the believer, and nerves us for fresh enterprises in our Master’s service.

To bless God for His mercy is also a way to benefit our fellow brothers and sisters: “My soul will boast in the LORD; let the afflicted hear and rejoice.” (Psalm 34:2) Others who have been in similar circumstances will take comfort if we say, “Glorify the LORD with me; let us exalt his name together. I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.” (Psalm 34:3-4) Weak hearts will be strengthened, and weak souls will be revived as they listen to our “songs of deliverance.” Their doubts and fears will be assuaged, as we teach and encourage one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs. Then they too will “sing in the ways of the Lord” when they hear us praising His holy name.

Praise is the most heavenly of Christian duties. The angels do not pray, but they never cease to praise both day and night. And we the redeemed, clothed in white robes, with palm-branches in our hands, should never grow tired of singing the new song, “Worthy is the Lamb.”

Question: Has your prayer been answered lately? Please share it with us, or a story about how God has answered your prayer in the past.

About this Author: Charles Spurgeon

66 Responses to “Praise God for Answered Prayer”

• Chris Chris says:

keisha…we rejoice in jesus great faithfulness in your life!!

• Keisha says:

I’ve been praying and asking loved ones to pray for me. You see I have gotten myself into quite a mess. I’ve made some poor decisions with my finances when I believed my income would continue to grow. I suffer from Major Depression, low self esteem, and marital problems. I’ve had friends say hurtful things because they don’t understand clinical depression. I have a son who depends on me and always tried to help my sister and mother. But when I got laid off and couldn’t find work, all of my problems compounded. I cried out to The Lord and he came to my rescue. I had an impossible financial need, one that seemed hopeless to resolve. But I continued to pray and tell God I trust him and he heard my cry and sent a blessing too great to explain. I encourage everyone to hold on even when it’s seems hopeless. Keep your Faith in God no matter what!’

• Chris Chris says:

victoria ramos…we rejoice in all of Gods great faithfulness to you and your offspring. blessings!

• Victoria Ramos says:

I have been praying to my Almighty father that my daughter Maria would not leace to Charlotte, North Carolina as soon as next year. She was very adamant about leaving and I prayed God for a miracle for her not to leave unless it was god’s will. I truly believe with all my heart he has answered my prayer. Maria had been struggling with college and since she wants to be an RN, today we went and she enrolled into a 14 month program for medical assistant, I’m praying that she will completely change her mind and stay here in California. My heavenly, father has answered my prayer. I have been praying for my girls, doing intercession for them, thankful prayers, morning prayers, prayers for sleep and It feels wonderful to see thst he answered my prayer and that their attitudes have also changed…. yay God is AWesome! !!! I love him so much!! Praise Jesus for his unconditional love and mercy that endures forever!!! Hallelujah and Amen!!!!! I kust wanted to share it with you all. God bless you all.

• babysteps says:

I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.” He relieved the fears I had for my daughter. Thank you Lord!

• Diana says:

Thank you, dear Father in Heaven for your answered prayers today. Bless you and thank you for all you do. I will continue to draw close and try and live my life by You. Thank you!

• Sharon Sharon says:

praising God for life that we can live and that HE gives us life to live daily

• Arthur says:

I have a friend of almost 50 years who had a series of operations on his intestines due to scare tissue that would close off his bowl. The doctors felt strongly that if it happened again they could not do any more operations. After some years it happened again and they were just waiting to see how his situation progressed. This was life threating. I began to pray will great earnestness over three days. I began to have a sense of knowing that he would be healed. When I called the hospital the last time he answered and said his condition was essentially normal and they even were considering discharging him that day. They wanted to be cautious and let him leave the next day.

• Sharon Sharon says:

we are praising God for small answers in prayer for a young man with cancer but are still praying for continued and complete healing for him

• Al says:

The Most High has saved my job and allowed me to continue to work. I will always praise His Holy Name!

• Shelley Shelley says:

Dear Father God,

Lord I Know that you are an awesome God, but You are also my savior too! Lord I lift up all who read this message that they will be encouraged and will keep on praying at all times in all areas of there lives. In Jesus Mighty Name amen

• Jill says:

Carmen,
    I am so happy for you! God is an AWESOME God yesterday, today and tomorrow…ALWAYS! God Bless!

Hi Jan, It is pretty cool to hear stories like Carmen’s, isn’t it?! And to know that God has a miraculous way of supplying each of our needs that is unique to us. Your miracle may come in the gift from a stranger or it may come from God leading you to make different decisions about your finances. We often get disillusioned that it is our ability to make money that supplies our needs but ultimately it is God’s plan that takes care of all that we need. We just see some as more miraculous than others.

Let me remind you of the words of Jesus when He said, “So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’… Your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” (Matthew 6:31-33) God knows all that you need and He has a plan of how He will provide for those needs. Our job is not to figure out how we can make it happen but rather to focus our attention on God and follow His direction in life. That way when He leads us into the plan that He has we are ready to obey and make the choices that He leads us to. Sometimes He is going to lead us to get out and do a job search, other times He will guide the way we budget, other times it will be through an unexpected windfall, and other times it will be through severe testing. But we can always trust that God’s provision is always perfect for us and for His plan no matter how it looks for us.

Heavenly Father, I thank You for the plan that You have to provide for Jan’s needs. You know that she has been praying for a long time and it seems like nothing has changed. Father, I ask that You would help Jan to let go of the stress and worry and to trust in Your plan. Help her to focus her attention on knowing You better so that she is able to follow Your leading and direction. Give her peace and contentment. In Jesus’ name, amen.

• Jan says:

I am in a similar situation – have been praying and praising for 2.5 years – need help soon.

• Jan says:

I could use a miracle like that – you have no idea!

• Carmen says:

I just discovered your website and the Holy Spirit spoke to me and told me to give God’ s praise for all the glorious things He has done for me. Years ago, I was about to lose my house in Florida. I was just separated from my ex-husband and I became a single mother with 3 young children. I always believe in God. This miracle happened in year 2000. At this time, early in the morning around 6:00 am I used to listen to “Prayer Circle” in WRMB. I sent my prayer request asking to pray for my children and explain my situation about losing my house. A lady read my request on the radio. This is where the miracle happened. The lady called me and told me that some people had called to offer their help. One of them called me and met with me. He told me that he was driving on the highway and when he turned the radio on he heard the prayer request. He never listened to that radio station before and He thought it was God working on my behalf. I was 6 months behind on my mortgage plus interest. This God’s man and his church paid the debt for me. Plus the next year they continue to pay y my mortgage monthly on their own. Plus they paid off my car. When it was back to school time they still help me with my children. This man was sent from God. God is a Great and Powerful God. I want to dedicate myself to Him to serve Him in spirit and in truth. I love you Father God. In Jesus’ name AMEN.