Spiritual Harvest

Written by Lynn Mosher

If you are hurting from the pain of having lost a loved one, we care and  want to pray for you.

This time of year always brings to mind the seasonal word ‘harvest.’ As nature goes through its seasons, so we do as Christians. As Ecclesiastes 3:1 (NKJV) says, “To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven.”

We have seasons of dryness, seasons of refreshment, seasons of lack, seasons of plenty, seasons of grief and seasons of great joy. Circumstances come and go in our lives but our aim is to always work toward having a spiritual harvest, no matter what the circumstantial season.

God once whispered to my heart…

“If the ground is not turned, I cannot plant My seeds.

A life as a lovely green meadow with its abundance of wild flowers is a fair picture of beauty. But there’s more to be had from the rich soil lying beneath the surface blanket of a lovely green pasture. Cultivating this meadow can produce a harvest of fruit, of nourishment, of good things for others.

The Hand of the One tilling the soil is the One Who loves it the most and sees the greatest potential in it for a harvest. The roots of unwanted growth beneath the surface must be ripped out that the ground might be tilled and furrowed. This gives room to accept the seeds of new growth and eventually welcome a beautiful, golden field of harvest, waving its ripened grain in the breeze.

A life in the Hands of the One guiding the plow will display a fruitful meadow. When it is uprooted and turned over, it welcomes the plantings of the Master Husbandman and gladdens the hearts of others with its lovely field of produce.”

There are times when those deep furrows upon your soul open the soil of your heart, allowing it to receive the words of the Lord that they may take root and flourish with a crop of tasty fruit.

God is the Master Husbandman who sometimes must dig deep into our lives, knowing where the best soil lies. There He drops in His seeds of encouragement, peace, love, healing, or whatever, that they may grow for our benefit and for the help of others.

The Husbandman knows His soil and does not ignore His fields. He purposes to have a harvest and works each field until it is ripe for the picking.  May you realize that the Husbandman’s plough is at work in your life to produce the greatest harvest.

Questions: How have you experienced God working in your life in order to plant seeds for harvest?

About the Author Lynn Mosher

14 Responses to “Spiritual Harvest”

• Lynn Mosher Lynn Mosher says:

Sharon, you are very welcome. My honor. Let me know how you’re doing.

• ssharonb says:

lyn thank you for your prayers

• Lynn Mosher Lynn Mosher says:

Sharon, I’m so sorry that your heart is hurting right now. I know those things make deep wounds. I’ll be praying for you. May the Lord bless you with all you need.

• sharonb says:

right now i am having a hard time doing much of anything because of something that was said to me and about me by some one i thought i was close to please pray for me

• Lynn Mosher Lynn Mosher says:

Oh, my! Stephanie, that is so awesome! You know, I think the seeds that He plants within us grow to such a size that it takes the hammering of a storm’s elements upon us to make those seeds burst forth and produce a harvest. I am so happy to hear you are blossoming! Thanks so much for your comment. Blessings to you!

• Stephanie says:

WOW…had been dry for so long, it took God letting my life be turned upside down….before I let HIM finally take control. Had been saved and a Christian 14 years….but just become dry and barren. God turned my “ground” and let the storms rage…to water the seeds He has planted! Sometimes it takes those storms and pouring down rains to make those seeds He planted deep start to grow!!

What an amazing field of love He has growing in me now though!!!

• Lynn Mosher Lynn Mosher says:

Em, it thrills me to no end to know that God has used my words in your life. These *winter* seasons are always difficult, aren’t they? But God never abandons His field of care. He works it so lovingly. I know the Lord will bring you a harvest of blessings because you have allowed Him to work in your life. Be blessed!

• Lynn Mosher Lynn Mosher says:

Oh, Shelley, that is so wonderful! What a beautiful statement! I know you are the perfect soil in the hands of the Creator for it sounds as though great fruit is being produced in your life. Blessings to you!

• Lynn Mosher Lynn Mosher says:

Machelle, Thank you so much for your comment. I’m so glad this gave you some insight into the seasons of our lives. May all your seasons be fruitful ones! Be blessed!

• Lynn Mosher Lynn Mosher says:

Susan, Thank you so much commenting. Your kind words bless my heart. If God is the Husbandman of our hearts, then He desires the best harvest from us, doesn’t He? And you are so right…we can do nothing without Him! Blessings to you!

• Em says:

Wow, this was a hard message to hear, but I know it was necessary. I’m so glad I got this message today, I actually had a little mini-meltdown moment in prayer today, before God honestly asking Him how long & why has it been so hard for this time. Of course, His Spirit eventually comforted me & I went on with my day – but it is messages like this that I needed to hear.. It’s difficult to go through these journeys that are unpleasant, not comfortable or in our ‘ideal’ place, but boy has God been stretching me to trust Him… (sigh) hehe! May God give us grace & strength to endure. God bless you all.

• Shelley shelley anderson says:

This season mean a new change in my life as He takes out the dead and creates the beauty that is in me. When I look at His colours that he made I see what He dose in my life and that is to create a beautiful creation.

• Machelle Thomas says:

I was wondering exactly what does been in the season mean, and reading this about Spiritual Harvest has help me to get an understanding because I wanted to know the exact definition of season and where I could find it in the Bible.I was and have been through my season in my lifetime,with being single,getting over that I will be alright by myself for awhile longer.The Lord had said where there are two or more gather in my name I am present.Amen

• susan says:

Lynn, What an incredible encouragement to read this devotional. Such a good reminder that my LORD and Father brings these difficult seasons to till the soil of my heart…may I welcome His Hand and with this in mind, truly learn to be thankful in all circumstances and remember that He is at work to produce fruit in my life. I can do nothing apart from Him. Bless you and all who read this devotional.