Let Go – Let God

Written by Beverley Rayner

Are you struggling to let go and trust God? We can pray for you.

“That is why I am suffering as I am, yet I am not ashamed because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day” (2 Timothy 1:12, NIV).

Paul was imprisoned in Rome when he wrote these words to Timothy. Paul speaks with clarity and conviction, knowing that God will look after those things that are of most importance to him, even as he writes alone in his cell.

I wonder what was important to Paul. For sure he valued the gospel message that Paul had been so faithful in sharing. But I believe that people were his biggest investment—loved ones like Timothy that were now beyond his reach.

I have a book mark in my Bible –a picture of a little girl. Written on the back are the precious names and dates when I entrusted my three daughters to His care. That was many years ago when they were close beside me each day. Now they are scattered far and wide.

Have you entrusted a loved one to His care? Sometimes it’s hard to let go without giving way to fears that arise, especially when we see them making poor choices. Maybe it’s the mothering instinct that we have but many of us long to “fix” our children, our family, and those we love so deeply. I once heard a mother asked which of her children she loved the most. Her response was, the child that hurts the deepest.

Jesus prayed for his disciples as he was preparing to leave them. (John 17:11-15) He asked the father to protect them. While he was with them, He protected them, but now the time had come to send them out into the word. In verse 15 he asks the father not to take them from the world, but to protect them from the evil one.

This is my prayer for my daughters. I can’t shelter them from the evil in this world, but there is one who can. If ever I am tempted to worry about them, I look at my bookmark, and I’m reminded that I have entrusted them to His care.  My heavenly Father is a faithful God who has proved himself many times. He is able to keep that which I’ve committed to him. As much as I love them, He loves them more.

Who do you need to let go of today, end entrust to His care?

Thank you father that you watch over those that we love and that as we pray for them, you will continue to work in their lives through the power of your Holy Spirit. Help us Lord, to not be tempted to worry over them, but entrust them to your care. Amen

Questions: Is there someone you need to let go of and let God? Why does one struggle with entrusting a loved one to His care?

18 Responses to “Let Go – Let God”

• Michael Jantzen Michael Jantzen says:

Hello Tammy,

Thank you for sharing about your marriage. Understandably, trust has been broken and feels like it is beyond repair. His betrayal wasn’t just a one time thing; it’s become a pattern, so even if you forgive him, how can you even start to ‘hope’ that things will get better. You’ve placed him in God’s hands and taken steps to protect yourself from being hurt again, which is the right thing to do. I don’t know if he’ll ever change, but

I would encourage you to pray for him (which might be hard), but that places your heart into the right place with God…so you stay soft and are able to heal.

“I’d like to pray for you:

“Lord, Tammy has been deeply hurt. You know her heart…how she has hoped for the best but gotten dissapointed again and again. Lord, I pray that you would help her come to a place where she feels that you are enough for her, that your love is all she really needs at the deepest part of her being. Hold her in your arms, heal her and guard her heart from worries and fear. Amen.”

take care

• Tammy says:

My husband is a habitual adulterer. I am wife number 3 and he didnt make it 2 1/2 years before he cheated on me. And now, just 5 months after I found out about the first one, he’s at it again. I forgave him before because that is what I believe God would want me to do. And now, I’m just going to let him go completely and put him entirely into God’s hands.

I’m having a really hard time not calling or emailng him, but I know it is the best thing to be silent since I already confronted him in love. Due to the military, we are separated geographically so it’s very hard to heal when you only see each other every other weekend and now it’ll probably be never.

• Priscilla Powell says:

Lord I just want to thank you for being such a mighty, trustworthy, loving, God who we know is still sitting on the throne on the right hand of God. We thank you Lord that it does not matter how things Look, you are still Lord of lords & King of Kings.We thank you that you have given us Kingdom wisdom , Kingdom knowledge & Kingdom understand.We thank you Lord that we are not detracted by are reality but only stay strong in you standing on THE TRUTH. We thank you Lord for hearing the prayers of the righteous & for sending your anointing to bust every weight & yoke of bondage that the enemy set upon them to poison there faith. Thank you Lord for the spirit of Liberty. Amen

• Doris Beck Doris says:

My heart goes out to you Mary as it is so difficult to let go of our children and allow God to be God in their lives. At 22 it’s definitely time for you to stop bailing out your son and let him deal with the consequences of his actions otherwise you will be carrying him for many years to come. If you would like to have a mentor to walk alongside of you as you walk this journey please just go to this link and fill out the form and a mentor will email you privately. http://powertochange.com/discover/talk-to-a-mentor/

• Mary says:

My son needs prayer he always seems to make bad choices in friends. He did while in high school, the marine corps, and still does now that he is a former marine. He worries me that he will end up in some sort of trouble especially with drugs or drinking. He is 22 and am trying to let go, but he makes poor choices especially financially, and am getting tried of saving him financially cause he can manage his money. Just seems many of the kids now days, it’s all about sex, drugs, and raves. The just don’t seems to settle down and they seem to have a since of intitlement.

• B. Miller Brenda says:

It is wonderful that your husband supports you in your Christian faith, Cathy. I agree with you that being a Christian does not guarantee partnership for life; our personal relationship with Jesus Christ is what strengthens us to live out our faith and walk in Jesus’ love the way that He so desires.

• Shelley Shelley says:

Let go and let God!
    That is a biggie!
    But we can do it with confidence. In all sitautions in life in order to do things we need to let go and Let God do it for us. Going our own strenght is not good as at times can lead to a down fall. Jusr stick with it and he will guid you in your situation.

• Cathy says:

Angela, I’m a Catholic Christian, and I have been married to a Hindu man for almost 31 years. He comes to church with me every week, has raised our fur children to go to church and they have. He has also attended many Bible studies with me and we are now in a weekly bible fellowship homegroup. My friends are amazed, as they can’t even get their husbands who are Christians to go to church every week. He is a good man, father, husband. Very loyal and devoted to his family. Just because he is Catholic or Christian doesn’t always make them a lasting partner.

• angela says:

Dear friend, I worry about my children as they both are big boy 29 and girl 27 and both are not married. I pray everyday to bless them with catholic life parters. My daughter is on the weaker side and one she was friendly with a hindu boy but Jesus saved her from that relationship although she was down after that. Easy she gets friendly than she suffers. Please pray in this regard also pray for my son he is quite and humble boy.Pray for the extention of my work contract as it is expiring soon. I am a widow & need the job.

• Shawna says:

I read this devotion as I was having a chat with my youngest daughter who is in a marriage that is not healthy at all and is so blinded to the emotional abuse that is happening. Letting go and letting God is hard sometimes when you just want to step in and say the right thing to make them wake up and see things exactly as they are. But like someone else said we have to continually remember that God is in control and we need to continue to look to him and find our strength in him. Trust me I have cried rivers and rivers of tears. You love them so much and want more for them. Thanks for the reminder!

• Doris Beck Doris says:

This is such a powerful message in today’s devotional! Betty I hear your cry when you say it is often difficult as a parent to let go and let God! But when I remind myself that God loves my children more than I ever could and that there is never a panic in heaven, then it is easier to trust God to work in the lives of my family, husband, children and grandchildren.

• DonnaL says:

Thank you Beverley for sharing with us today. I have been reminded that my worry over a family member is not honoring to God. If I believe that He is Almighty God and Savior then I must trust Him with everything in my life including my dear family. Praying for my trust to increase in this area and for strength to let Go and let God.

• Lottie says:

Thank you for reminding me to continue to trust the Lord for my children
    and my everything.

• Andrea says:

Myself to be honest. God told me to trust Him but it seems I’m unable to give myself to him even though I have done so. We struggle with entrusting because God is not acting fast enough on their behalf, so we pick it back up again needlessly! Pray for me please!!

• Betty says:

As a parent it is difficult at times to let go and let God. We feel responsible for our chldren’s welfare. I say this especially in regards to a grown daughter who is troubled in so many ways emotionally, and financially to make it from one pay day to the other. I’ve prayed and cried and have poured myself out month after month, year after year. I keep hoping to see an end to this drama. I get the message of letting go, but I’m finding it hard to know how to handle this situation.

• Brenda says:

Ros, my name is Brenda, and I am a blog mentor on Power to Change. I was encouraged greatly by this devotional, and I am so thankful that Beverley’s “Let Go – and Let God” helped you to find the peace you needed to place yourself and your husband into the hands of God once again. In reading your post, I can feel the depth of your love for your husband and your pain as he goes through this medical crisis, and I would like to pray for you now:
    Dear Lord Jesus, You know perfectly the hearts of this dear couple and You love them intimately. I thank You for the faith of Ros in submitting herself and her husband to Your care, and I just ask You, O God, to fill the hearts and minds of both Ros and her husband with Your all-surpassing peace in Christ Jesus. O Jesus, You are the Lord our Healer, please just lay Your tender hands of tender care and mercy on Ros and her husband, and let Your healing grace flow out of You and into both of them, from the top of their head to the tip of their toes. May Your perfect will be done in their lives and in their marriage, Father God. Please draw them close to You, O Lord, even as You comfort them now according to Your assuring Word in John 10: 27-30:
    “My sheep recognize my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them away from me, 29 for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else. So no one can take them from me. 30 The Father and I are one.”

O Lord, thank You for the wonderful faith of Your daughter, Ros. I pray that You will reward her faith, as You promise in James 4:8: “8 Draw close to God, and God will draw close to you,” and again in Jeremiah 21:3: “I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love. With unfailing love I have drawn you to myself. ” Thank You for Your faithfulness to Your people, O Lord God, our Loving Father. I pray these things in Jesus’ name. Amen.
    Ros, I am so glad you responded to this devotional post, and I encourage you to write in at any time. I would love to talk with you and walk with you in your faith walk any time you desire, and if you want to talk with a mentor, just click on this link: http://powertochange.com/experience/talk-to-a-mentor/
    I also want to encourage you to seek prayer at the following link at any time: http://powertochange.com/experience/need-prayer/
    In addition, please feel free to join us in chat, including daily prayer chats at 8 AM ET at this link: http://powertochange.com/experience/chat/
    Please know that I will continue to pray for you, Ros, and for your husband, and I would love to know how you are both doing. God bless you,
    Your sister in Jesus,
    Brenda

• I love the idea of writing down those we have entrusted to God on the back of our bookmarks – especially those in our Bibles! Thank you for this, Beverley.

I know that I need to let go of my husband and my mom, and also my closest friends, as I do tend to worry and want to “fix” what is wrong in their lives, all the time knowing I do not have the power to do so. Yet, God surely does, and He will intercede – when they ask Him for help, as He is a Gentleman, and will not force Himself into our lives! Oh, how I sometimes want Him to force His way in when things are not going as I want them to go! But it is at these very times that I have to remember that God is in control, and that He will work ALL things out for the good of those who love Him. How do I know this? Because God has promised me this in the Bible, His Word, and The Lord cannot lie, so I know He will be faithful to His promise! Praise be to God forever! I can certainly trust Him with the lives of my loved ones! For His love for them is even greater than mine, reaching further than the east is from the west, deeper than the deepest oceans, higher than the highest of skies! Praise be to You forever, O faithful Lord God!

• Ros says:

thank you so much for the reassurance in this devotion tonight – my husband has 8 brain tumours, and i am struggling so much to just entrust him and his future (and mine too) to God. sometimes my faith is strong, but today,i was just feeling so down and discouraged. you have reminded me of just what i need for these really low times.