Go Forward

Written by Emmie Stanley

Does it feel like your life is under construction? Try our online study Golden Nuggets from Philippians.

And the Lord said to Moses, ‘Why do you cry to Me? Tell the children of Israel to go forward”‘ (Exodus 14:15, NKJV).

Sometimes we pray and pray about something but nothing seems to change. Maybe God is saying the same thing to us as he said to Moses, “Why do you cry out to me? Do something!” There are times in which we can be like little children sitting on the floor crying and just waiting for someone to pick us up and fix everything. The truth is that God picked us up at the point of our salvation, and He fixed everything at the cross. From there it is our responsibility to take hold of what has been accomplished for us, apply it to our lives and go forward.

Too often we think that God should be moved by our “need,” but God is not moved by need, He is moved by faith. Faith requires action. It starts by knowing what God’s promise is for you in your specific area of need. Get into the word and find the scriptures that speak the truth about the matter and start to saturate your mind and spirit with that truth. This is what it means to have our “minds renewed” (Romans 12/2).

By the power of the Holy Spirit, the word of God, and a decision on our part to go forward and take hold of the salvation promises that God has for us, things will start to change. Jesus said that it was finished at the cross, now it is for us to take up the cross and follow Him into victory!

“Then He touched their eyes, saying “according to your faith let it be done to you” (Matthew 9:29, NJKV).

“For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also” (James 2:26, NKJV).

Questions: What does it mean to have our minds renewed? What causes God to be moved?  How would you describe faith?

7 Responses to “Go Forward”

• B. Miller Brenda says:

Kathie, I hear the pain and desperation in your response. Sometimes it can be so hard as we struggle to understand just how and why things happen as they do. Yet it is so important to keep our eyes on Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith, as well as our Comforter. Would you like to talk with someone privately, Kathie? I encourage you to connect with one of our online mentors by going to this link:

God bless you, Kathie

• Sandi says:

I agree. We all need to step out in faith. Sometimes it’s scarry. We also need to lean on others for help in our times of need and sometimes we’re afraid because people have let us down. I pray all the time,especially when things are out of our control, like when storms hit.I pray for God to let them pass-over. He does.

• i am a christian been at the age of 12 yrs. and lost my father the same year my mom and dad where very mean 7 kids and yeel and whip us the blood would flow and there would fight due to drunkness both have passed on and my baby brother,we are doing well i am the only one that goes to church. but have bad child hood very poor but clean. my 3 kids had a great life there always say how we lived for our kids and we loved it i have the last 33 years old has been into drugs since the age 17,now has 4 fenoly’s for drugs of all kind on him and will serve up to 8 years in prosion and it is huring us soo bad i am living with prays for strengh i am so lost and hurt that my sweet boy is so sick he been rehab’s went back same way he can not live with us it is so bad thank God he has no kids. please help!

• Sharon Wilson says:

Just what I needed to hear today. Thank you.

• B. Miller Brenda says:

Bobbi, you are so right! Often what we need to do in faith is what is right before our eyes, but we miss it looking for something bigger or more complicated. God does not intend for our faith walk to be complicated and difficult, but filled with His joy and peace and love! I like your “formula” for success, too, Bobbi: pray, listen, and take action! Simple and doable! And even better: easy to remember! Thanks so much for your comment, Bobbi! God bless you.

• Bobbi Bobbi says:

I remember one time when i had left my lights on and hand went off to watch a parade. When I came back my battery was dead and I was so upset and just started praying for God to rescue me. I kept asking Him to please send someone to help me. I then heard his still small voice say to my spirit..” Bobbi, do you see all the people walking around outside? (people leaving the parade) Use the voice I have given you and take action. go out and ask someone for a jump!” I was sort of surpised by that, though after the fact I laughed. I got out of my car and did just that, I asked for help. Sure enough, the person who came alone next was more then willing to help and jump my car, and they just so happened to be the person parked next to me. Yep, sometimes we need to, pray, listen, and take action. Thanks for the devotional reminder!

• B. Miller Brenda says:

I love this devotional, Emmie! Too often I have stood still and waited for God to move on my behalf. Finally, I am beginning to understand that I need to act on my faith and step out of the boat if I want to walk on water. Jesus will hold me up when I place my faith in Him, but He can do nothing if I remain sitting in the boat! It is definitely scary to take that step of faith, but are my words of faith in Christ empty if I expect to plunge to the bottom of the lake? I think they are, and my faith needs to be far more than words for others to see Jesus in me; it has to be a living example of how I believe that what is not yet seen will be seen simply because, in His Word, the Lord Jesus said it would come to pass, and His Word is Truth!

Praise be to God for the gift of faith. I am opening and claiming my gift of faith, and standing on His Word today, and I am moving forward with my dreams in the great future God has planned for me!

Thanks again, Emmie Stanley!