April 12th, 2009 forced a change in my life. I remember making my way across the darkened parking lot and slipping in behind the wheel of my car in silence. Rain slipped down the windshield and I opened the window ever so slightly, hoping that the chilled air would remind me to breathe. For 10 days I had sat at the bedside of my husband and best friend. That night his battled ended and I knew he was resting peacefully in the arms of God. As I pulled away, more than just the road ahead was seemed dark and unfamiliar.
Change comes suddenly and without warning, often in ways we are not prepared for. A loss of a relationship, job loss, bad news, unwanted circumstances are all outside of our control. The change forces new challenges and opportunities to navigate the road ahead and forge on to allow God to lead us to new destinations.
If you are facing change in your life there are a few keys in making change your friend rather than foe:
- Allow yourself time to heal emotionally, physically and spiritually from the shock of the unexpected. Making decisions to soon or for the wrong reasons can complicate your situation. The Holy Spirit can heal the brokenness and emptiness and bring wisdom in making decisions about your future.
- Surround yourself with wise friends who will guide you and provide Godly wisdom. Be open and honest even transparent in the feelings you are experiencing.
- Accept the fact change is a part of life and understand your setbacks can be followed by comebacks.
- Know your steps are ordered by God and He has a plan and purpose for your future.
- Understand that disappointments have meaning. If you separate the word dis from appointment it means cut off or separated from your appointment. Stalling in the land of disappointment will keep you from reaching the great and exciting destination God still has for your life.
- Postpone major decisions but when you are ready aggressively take action to move ahead. Don’t allow doubt or fear to camp in your thinking.
- Believe that nothing happens that God is not fully aware of and has provision to bring you into a new level of faith and wisdom.
Got change? Whatever change you are facing today God is still in control. The clouds will roll back and the sun will shine again. Change when accepted constructively will become deposits and investments that will become more valuable over time.
Take the Next Step
Coping with Change
Finding Peace in Troubled Times