We Belong

Written by Helen Grace Lescheid

devo-interact-icon-42x42
Are you looking for a place to belong? Come join us in the chat room. Chats happen every day. We’d love to see you there!

“Giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light. For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.” (Colossians 1:12-13)

Have you ever felt like you were excluded from the “in” crowd? Maybe it happened in school when teams were chosen or perhaps there was a family gathering and nobody told you about it.  I know that feeling of isolation very well. I was a refugee kid in Europe, not as good as the children born in the country. In my young teens I became an immigrant in Canada. I couldn’t speak English, hit a baseball, shoot a basket, understand the jokes.  I was the odd one. I didn’t belong.

The feeling of not belonging trailed me for many years. Then Jesus came into my life and adopted me into his family. He made me a child of God. He qualified me to “share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light.” How? Through Jesus Christ, I’m no longer on the outside looking in – I’m on the inside learning to see all people as valued by our Father.

Think of it: the Creator of the universe loves us! In fact, he’s very fond of us. He delights in every detail of our lives. He created us for fellowship with Himself and with each other.  Our challenge as children of God is to reach out in love to everyone we meet, to make them feel valued and included.

Father, I feel so blessed that you have adopted me into your family. Fill me with your love so that I will see people as you see them and make them feel special and included.  Amen.

Question: Do you see someone standing alone in the church foyer? Walk up to him or her and begin a conversation, maybe even invite them for coffee.

8 Responses to “We Belong”

That’s great Kanj. It is true that when our confidence is in God and not ourselves, when we look to Him for acceptance and not what other people think of us, the fears that once may have held us in check no longer have power over us. “For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. So you must never be ashamed to tell others about our Lord.” (1Timothy 1:7-8)

• kanj says:

Jamie,
    Through the power of His Word, the power of His Word. I have peered out of this shell on a few occasions and even surprised myself.
    How do I see God using my shyness to accomplish His purposes? That one is easy. I’m a recoverying alcoholic who has shown many that life is not over till He announces!

So how have you tried to make that change Kanj? How do you see God using your introvertedness to accomplish His purposes?

• kanj says:

I yearn to be able to do such a wonderful and simplistic thing such as walking up to someone I don’t know and talk to them period. I’ve been a very introverted person, all my life. God knows this trait of mine. I know it’s something that I need to work. Coming out of one’s shell is easier said than done (in a roomful of strangers) even in church.

• Denny says:

Beautiful, Whitney! I love this post. I love all your posts, altcaluy. :) Thank you for sharing these well-written, uplifting words. I needed them tonight.

• B. Miller Brenda says:

This is a tremendous devotional, Helen, and I agree with both of you, Lori and julie, that the statement, “Through Jesus Christ, I’m no longer on the outside looking in – I’m on the inside learning to see all people as valued by our Father,” is a beautiful and succinct way to express the wonder of being taken out of the cold, isolating world we knew and tranferred into God’s awesome Kingdom of Light! I thank Him daily for the family I have formed since the day I received Jesus into my heart, and I pray that I will be a warm, welcoming face to those lonely people in the foyer, as well as a friend to come alongside them and help them in their walk with the Lord. I know it was painfully difficult for me to reach out when I was new in the church, and I would love to be a helping hand to those struggling now – including those who need to find their way to the Lord for the first time.

God bless you, Helen, and thanks so much for this inspirational writing!

• Julie Cosgrove julie says:

Super devo Helen. I love how you say instead of being on the outside looking in, you are now in the Body looking out through God’s eyes. As a plain, dowdy nerd, I was always an outsider in school and had low self esteem. It is still an issue that rears its ugly head every now and then. We all feel the need to belong and with Christ in us, we do. On a whole, I find Christian women more accepting and less back-stabbing and gossip-tended. Where as the worldly-minded tear people down so they seem better, Christ-minded build people up because they know He is best.

• Lori says:

Hi, “Through Jesus Christ, I’m no longer on the outside looking in – I’m on the inside learning to see all people as valued by our Father.” … I Loved this line. It spoke to my heart, because I’m the outsider in my family. There’s just a lot of sarcasm, pride, criticism, and finger pointing that goes on in my family, and when we’re all together (watch out). So, I don’t enjoy our time together at all, in fact, I dread it. However, this did help. I know that it’s OK to isolate myself from some, but w/ mom still alive in her 80′s I really can’t do that on holidays. It would just hurt my own children (and mom too), and I don’t want to see that happen. So, I always go, and am just very quiet sort of observing, but what I love is when you said instead of seeing myself on the “outside”- – I can see myself on the “inside” and look at each of my family members as “valued by our Father”, bc they are. It’s just up to each of them to accept it and live by it. I’m not the “outsider” after all. Thanks for the uplifting thought here. :)