Simple Rest

Written by Julene Uganecz

Are you waiting on God for an answer? Let us pray for you.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)

Magazine headlines often talk about simplicity and rest. The ideal is there inside the beautiful pages – to carve out more time for what is most important – but in reality, this goal is so hard to reach. Why is it that measurable tasks (such as receiving a university degree, raising seven children, or running a marathon) can seem more attainable than simplicity and rest?

One humid rainy morning while out on a run on our Indonesian street, I saw a beautiful sight. Since it was wet outside, the road was clearer than normal because in Indonesian culture they do not like rain. Many of those who were out traveling to work or school by motorbike were decked out in large ponchos.

A certain motorbike caught my eye:  a father was taking his child to school. But I could not see the child.  All I saw was the father, wearing a poncho, and the child’s legs were poking out behind him from underneath the poncho.  The child had hopped onto the motorbike behind her father, and the father had draped the back of his poncho over his child. This is how the father took his child to school. The child could not see where she was going, but she rested in the dark shadow of her father’s poncho … because the father knew where he was going.

Don’t we desire this sort of rest, this child-like life of simply trusting?  Are you tired of madly driving through life, failing to rest?  Are you weary from stress and missing out on what is truly important?  Carve out time today and sit on your Father’s lap.  He has something to tell you.  Turn off the radio, TV, and phone.  Sit in silence.  Open His word.  Pray.  Tell Him about the burdens you’re carrying.

Jesus invites us to come and find rest for our weary souls in Him.  Unlike the burdens of this world, Jesus’ yoke is simple. Jesus provides rest.  Like the child sheltered by her father’s rain poncho, we too can rest under the Heavenly Father’s wings … for He knows where He is going.

Father, Thank you for your promise to take care of my burdens. Forgive me for being filled with stress and anxiety. Help me to trust you with my worries and cares. Amen.

Question: What burdens do you need to give to the Lord today?

9 Responses to “Simple Rest”

• K says:

I like this witness, too.!!! I am curious about what it is like to live in Indonesia. Perhaps a private email?

I am looking to make a change.

• Julene Uganecz Julene says:

Thank you, ladies, for your encouraging comments!
    Living in Indonesia, far removed from what was familiar, God taught me through illustrations from every day life there — analogies about His love, His guidance, His detailed knowledge of each of us.
    I am honoured that I can be His instrument, relaying the truth that He has lovingly shown me.
    What a good God we serve!
    May we each find the rest He so longs to give our souls.

• Doris Beck Doris says:

Julene,
    Thank you so much for the reminder that resting means that we trust the Father and trust that He does know the direction that we need to head. Just what I needed this morning as we are trusting God to know the direction that we are heading which isn’t clear to us at the moment in a certain area.

• kanj says:

It’s been a very long time since I’ve made a comment. I’ve been blessed to be with this site for 5 years. With the absence, many changes and with change spiritual growth as well. I don’t know why but my heart guided me to come here this morning. After reading the Word, I dove right into the devotional. The Lord’s timing is precision. Through you I was given an opportunity to be reminded that I am never down nor out, not as long as my heart listens to the still soft and tender voice.The burdens I need to give to the Lord today is extensively long but I know in my heart that He’s got all the time in the heavens to listen to me.
    This prayer came to mind. Although the words aren’t mine, the thought touches home:
    ”God, if there is anything in my life that is taking Your rightful place, help me to let it go that I might love You fully, amen.”
    May God bless each and every woman who is touched, but by the grace of God, to be here at this site.
    Kanj

• Nita says:

I’m an Indonesian who live in Central Java, your illustration about “father’s poncho” is very clear to me. I used in that situation. I hate under my father’s poncho because I can’t see anything, but it’s the only way how my father protected me. We hate to be in dark shadow but it’s the only way God cover us. Thanks for remind me.

• Thank you, Jolene, for this beautiful picture of resting in Jesus covered in “his rain coat.” Wow! I will keep this picture in my mind when things are a bit stormy in my day.

• Christy says:

This Bible passage and message is exactly what I needed today. I find it hard to simply rest in Christ. But seeking his face, being still and listening is when we hear/feel Christ’s presence.

• Joy Ann says:

How sweet to read these inspired words of wisdom about prayer this morning…just in time for when I needed them most….Our God is a wonderful loving father, who like the description in the story, does indeed know the best road for our life’s journey together Thank you for sharing this insight.

• R. Toddy Jadoo Toddy says:

Thanks so much for this illustration of rest and trust. I was blessed by your devotional. It is so hard to trust God but over time as we diligently seek Him and He reveals Himself to us we learn to trust like little children again. It is awesome to be in the will and walk that God has chosen for us. Our hearts can never imagine the vision He has for our lives. Thanks again for your message.