Help My Husband Accept Jesus Christ
How do I help my husband believe and accept Jesus Christ? He has a stubborn heart and does not want to believe. He attended Bible studies for many years yet all he did was raise questions and criticize the Bible. He feels overwhelmed by a sense of emptiness and does not feel any purpose for life. He has been in such a state for the past four or five years. He is in agony. I know Christ can take him out of this state of void and give him purpose. I really want to help him.
Adivce (Angela Chiang): I feel your anxiety and worry about the salvation of your husband. I see that your ability falls short of your wish when you try to make your husband believe in Christ. I really care about you and hope I can cheer you up by encouraging you to see things from a different perspective. An anxious heart will not solve your situation. Worry is a stumbling block to trusting in the Lord. The following suggestions may be helpful to you. I hope to hear your improvement shortly and by God’s grace, may you experience the joy of interacting with your husband in spirit.
- First and foremost, you need to establish a good relationship with God. Jia-zhan, God is real. He is the living God that rules the entire universe. He loves you. He also loves your husband whom you share your life with. The more you pray and read the Bible, the more God will provide you with wisdom and patience. Whenever you feel as if you are unable to bear the burden, God will reveal to you the truth through scripture, prayer, the church, people around you and things that happen to you.
- When you realize God loves your husband too, you will not feel lonely. You are not fighting the battle alone; instead, you are co-working with God in leading your husband to Him. We Christians consider it our great commission to lead people to God, including our spouse who shares in our life. God is exceedingly willing to care about your husband along with you.
- Knowing that you are co-working with God, you need to rely on Him, and seek strength and wisdom from Him. Do not be anxious about anything, present your requests to God by prayer and petition. You can pray to God: “O Lord, I know you have remarkably more concerns for the salvation of my husband than I do, for the grace of salvation is indeed for those who have not believed in you. I hereby present my husband in your gracious hand. May your Holy Spirit move him inside so that he may long to know you. I am unable to make him believe in you, yet only your Holy Spirit can lead him to you. I am willing to watch and pray for him. May you help me so that I shall not lose faith in you for I believe you will not forsake him.”
- Let me tell you the principle of being a wife. I want to share with you two scripture verses. 1st Peter 3:1-2 from the New Testament says, “Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives.” I encourage you to care about your husband with a sincere heart, love him and make him experience the virtue of you so that he has an equally loving heart for you and aspires to share with you his problems, concerns, troubles and happiness. When he shares with you, you may affirm him, accept him, encourage him, forgive him and support him based on the principles of your faith. If he shares with you about the struggles in his work, you may seize this opportunity to invite him to pray together and ask for heavenly wisdom from God.
- I think it is a good thing that your husband wants to go to Bible studies. His doubt and critique of the Bible indicate that he takes faith seriously. They are merely hurdles he can not cross now. You can be assured that the Christian faith can withstand any rigorous examination. Be patient and try to understand his questions. Very likely, his doubt is something we have not thought about. You should rejoice that your husband is a man of thought. Do not engage in an argument with him. Do not turn on him instantly either but rather acknowledge his questions. You may say, “Why haven’t I come up with these questions? These questions fascinate me. Let’s do some research and see if we can find the answers in the Bible.” Then you need to carefully mull over the root of his questions. You can study the Bible with him. It is fine that sometimes he gains the lead in the debate. Someday he will find the answers. You should lead him patiently, one step at a time. Surely, you shall continually pray for him in private, asking God to open his heart and soul so that the Holy Spirit will soften him and make him understand the truth.
I have several friends who helped their husbands understand the Bible in a similar way. The actual time it took varies individually. Some people accepted Christ quickly while others took longer. You fulfill what you can do and leave the rest to God. God’s timing is always perfect.
I pray that you may trust and obey His leadership wholeheartedly. I also pray that the Lord will bestow His extraordinary strength and wisdom upon you to love and care for your husband in your solo battle.