Do you long for the Holy Spirit to fall fresh on you? God’s magnificent power is available to refresh and transform every aspect of your life.
The Amplified Bible uses six names to describe the person of the Holy Spirit. “And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, and Standby) that He may remain with you forever” (John 14:16).
Consider the Spirit’s powerful resources available for you to live a life honoring to God:
- Making choices – pray with your indwelling Counselor
- Daily stress – wrap yourself in the indwelling Comforter
- Difficult situations – call on the Helper
- Hurting relationships – trust the One who stands at God’s right hand – your Intercessor
- Mistakes – you have an Advocate
- Life’s too heavy – draw on your Strengthener
- Just can’t go on – lean on the Standby
Imagine how our lives could change if we chose to live every moment in the power of the Counselor-Comforter-Helper-Intercessor-Advocate-Strengthener-Standby Person of the Holy Spirit. Dear reader, please don’t just think of the Holy Spirit working only in extraordinary ways in major events. He can and does do that, of course. Rather, think of Him living through you in every moment of life. There is nothing you face alone…absolutely nothing! The indwelling Holy Spirit yearns to indwell and empower you.
“The Holy Spirit Whom He has caused to dwell in us yearns over us – and He yearns for the Spirit [to be welcome] – with a jealous love” (James 4:5 AMP). James offers to us a picture of God yearning over His people, eager to dwell within our lives through His Holy Spirit, more eager than we are to be indwelt. This being true, take courage, for it means that God is willing to do everything in His power to enable us to live a Spirit-filled life.
My prayer is that the Holy Ghost will become a Holy Guest – a permanent guest in your life. When you asked Jesus Christ into your heart, the Holy Spirit sealed your adoption into God’s family. You received all of the Holy Spirit there is to receive! The Holy Spirit does not manifest Himself in stages. Since He is a person, you cannot get Him in little pieces. You either have all of the Holy Spirit or none of the Holy Spirit. As you grow in love with your Lord, you learn to know and trust more in the person of the Holy Spirit in your life. The Spirit’s power is there – learn to trust in His power.
We often think of the Holy Spirit in relationship only to the Pentecost experience at the birth of the early church. Realize that
- The Holy Spirit was present in creation – “moving over the surface of the waters” (Genesis 1:2 NASB).
- The Holy Spirit was present in the creation of man – “Let Us make man in Our image” (Genesis 1:26 NASB).
- The Holy Spirit was present at every important event in the life of Jesus – His conception (Luke 1:35), His baptism (Matthew 3:16), the beginning of His ministry (Matthew 3:17), His temptation experience (Luke 4:1-4).
- Isaiah prophesied the Holy Spirit’s work in the life of Jesus in Isaiah 61:1-3. This same Holy Spirit indwells us to do His work in today’s world.
Anne Graham Lotz’s book Just Give Me Jesus gives her insights about the person of the Holy Spirit.
- In the Garden of Eden, God had been with man.
- In the Old Testament, God had appeared to man.
- In the tabernacle, God had dwelt among men.
- In the history of Israel, God had spoken through men.
- In the Gospels, God was visible as man.
- But at Pentecost, God became available to dwell in man!
Paul encourages us to be filled to all the fullness of God and to be filled with the Spirit. In Ephesians 5:18, he says: “And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit.” That can be translated, “be being filled.” That is a process. In my life, it is a constant process. The secret of “being filled” is simply this: We must live in instant confession of any sin in which the Holy Spirit brings conviction and respond in instant obedience to what the Holy Spirit reveals to us. Simply put, we confess and we obey. “Delayed obedience” is “disobedience.”
The Holy Spirit clothes us with Himself! Think of that, dear reader! The Holy Spirit is:
- In us
- Around us
- Behind us
- Beside us
- Before us
- Under us
- Over us
- Through us
What more do we need?
God has given you His Holy Spirit to help you live life according to His perfect plan. As you depend on Him, He will “strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being” (Ephesians 3:16-17). Why not pray this suggested prayer today? As you pray, remember that God cares not so much about your words as the intent of your heart.
Dear Father, I need You. I acknowledge that I have sinned against You by directing my own life. I thank You that You have forgiven my sins through Christ’s death on the cross for me. I now invite Christ to again take His place on the throne of my life. Fill me with the Holy Spirit as You commanded me to be filled, and as You promised in Your Word that You would do if I asked in faith. I pray this in the name of Jesus. As an expression of my faith, I thank You for directing my life and for filling me with the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Excerpted from Empowered, by Esther Burroughs (Birmingham, AL: New Hope Publishers, 2003). Used by permission.