Preparing Your Heart for the Lord
Ask the Lord to search your heart! Heart searching prepares your heart for prayer and leads to personal revival.
Psalm 139:23-24 says, “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test my thoughts. Point out anything you find in me that makes you sad, and lead me along the path of everlasting life.”
1 John 1:5-10; Psalm 32:1-7
Confession of faith is necessary for fellowship with God and revival among God’s people.
Prayerfully consider the following questions:
Every “yes” answer means sin is in your life.
On reading these questions, as you are convicted of sin, confess it at once to God. Be willing to make it right. Then you can claim cleansing and forgiveness.
1 John 1:9, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
Be sure to name your sin to God, as, “Lord, I have not put you first in my plans,” or “I have neglected Your Word and prayer.” Do not make the least excuse for sin of any kind in your life.
Proverbs 18:13, “He that covereth his sins shall not prosper; but whosoever confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy“.
No matter what others do or do not do, Christian, leave nothing undone on your part. God wants to work through you to bring about a great spiritual awakening. He can begin by your fulfilling every requirement shown by the Lord through the Holy Spirit and His Word. A revival from the presence of the Lord begins today if you desire it. Read the scripture first. Ask the question, give a truthful answer “yes” or “no”.
- Is there anyone against whom you hold a grudge? Anyone you have not forgiven? Anyone you hate? Anyone you do not love? Are there any misunderstandings that you are unwilling to forget? Is there any person against whom you are harbouring bitterness, resentment, or jealousy? Anyone you dislike to hear praised or well spoken of? Do you allow anything to justify a wrong attitude toward another?Matthew 6:12-15: “…and forgive us our sins, just as we have forgiven those who have sinned against us. Don’t bring us into temptation but deliver us from the Evil One. Amen. Your heavenly Father will forgive you if you forgive those who sin against you; but if you refuse to forgive them, He will not forgive you.”
- Is there anything in which you have failed to put God first? Have your decisions been made after your own wisdom and desires, rather than seeking and following God’s will? Do any of the following, in any way, interfere with your surrender and service to God: ambition, pleasures, loved ones, friendships, desire for recognition, money, your plans?Matthew 6:33: “…but seek first His Kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.“
- Have you failed to seek the lost for Christ? Have you failed to witness consistently with your mouth for the Lord Jesus Christ? Has your life not shown to the lost the Lord Jesus?Mark 6:15: “Others thought Jesus was Elijah the ancient prophet, now returned to life again; still others claimed he was a new prophet like the great ones of the past.”
- Are you secretly pleased over the misfortunes of another? Are you secretly annoyed over the accomplishments or advancements of another? Are you guilty of contention or strife? Do you quarrel, argue or engage in heated discussions? Are you a partaker in any division, or party spirit? Are there people whom you deliberately slight?John 13:35: “Your strong love for each other will prove to the world that you are my disciples.”
- Have you robbed God by withholding His due of time, talents, and money? Have you given less than a tenth of your income for God’s work? Have you failed to support mission work either in prayer or in offerings?Acts 20:35: “And I was a constant example to you in helping the poor; for I remembered the words of the Lord Jesus, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive’.”
- Are you undependable so that you can not be trusted with responsibilities in the Lord’s work? Are you allowing your emotions to be stirred for the things of the Lord, but doing nothing about it?I Corinthians 4:2: “Now the most important thing about a servant is that he does just what his Master tells him to.“
- Are you in any way careless with your body? Do you fail to care for it as the temple of the Holy Spirit? Are you guilty of intemperance in eating or drinking? Do you have any habits which are defiling to the body?I Corinthians 6: 19-20: “Haven’t you learned that your body is the home of the Holy Spirit God gave you, and that he lives within you? Your own body does not belong to you. For God has bought you with a great price. So use every part of your body to give glory back to God, because he owns it.”
- Do you take the slightest credit for anything good about you, rather than give all the glory to God? Do you talk of what you have done rather than of what Christ has done? Are your statements mostly about “I”?I Corinthians 10:31: “Well, I’ll tell you why. It is because you must do everything for the glory of god, even your eating and drinking.“
- Are you self conscious rather than Christ conscious? Do you allow feelings of inferiority to keep you from attempting things you should in serving God?Ephesians 3:20: “Now glory be to God who by his mighty power at work within us is able to do far more than we would ever dare to ask or even dream of – infinitely beyond our highest prayers, desires, thoughts, or hopes.”
- Do you underpay? Do you do very little in your work? Have you been careless in the payment of your debts? Have you sought to evade payment of debts? Do you waste time? Do you waste time for others?Ephesians 4:28: “If anyone is stealing he must stop it and begin using those hands for honest work so he can give to others in need.“
- Do you complain? Do you find fault? Do you have a critical attitude towards any person or thing? Are you irritable or cranky? Do you ever carry hidden anger? Do you get angry? Do you become impatient with others? Are you ever harsh or unkind?Ephesians 4:31: “Stop being mean, bad-tempered and angry. Quarreling, harsh words, and dislike of others should have no place in your lives.”
- Do you listen to unedifying radio or TV programs? Do you read unworthy magazines? Do you partake in worldly amusements? Do you find it necessary to seek satisfaction from any questionable source? Are you doing certain things that show that you are not satisfied in the Lord Jesus Christ?Ephesians 5:16 “So be careful how you act; these are difficult days. Don’t be fools; be wise; make the most of every opportunity you have for doing good.“
- Have you neglected to thank Him for all things: the seemingly bad as well as the good? Have you virtually called God a liar by doubting His word? Do you worry? Is your spiritual temperature based on your feelings instead of on the facts of God’s word?James 1:17: “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like the shifting shadows.“
- Are you taken up with the cares of this life? Is your conversation or heart joy over “things” rather than the Lord and His Word? Does anything mean more to you than living for and pleasing Christ?Philippians 3:7-8: “But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things.“
- Do you ever, by word or deed, seek to hurt someone? Do you gossip? Do you speak unkindly concerning people when they are not present? Do you carry prejudice against true Christians because they are of some different group than yours, or because they do not see everything exactly like you do?Philippians 2:14: “In everything you do, stay away from complaining and arguing (so that no one can speak a word of blame against you. You are to live clean, innocent lives as children of God a dark world full of people who are crooked and stubborn. Shine out among them like beacons lights, holding out to them the Word of Life)”.
- Have you neglected to seek to be pleasing to Him in all things? Do you carry any bitterness toward God? Have you complained against Him in any way? Have you been dissatisfied with His provision for you? Is there in your heart any unwillingness to obey God fully? Do you have any reservations as to what you would or would not do concerning anything that might be His will? Have you disobeyed some direct leading from Him?Philippians 4:4: “Always be full of joy in the Lord; I say it again, rejoice!“
- Do you engage in empty and unprofitable conversation? Do you ever lie? Do you ever exaggerate? Cheat? Steal? Carefully consider…do you overcharge?Colossians 3:9 “Don’t tell lies to each other; it was your old life with all its wickedness that did that sort of thing; now it is dead and gone.“
- Do you have any personal habits that are not pure? Do you allow impure thoughts about the opposite sex to stay in your mind? Do you read that which is impure or suggests unholy things? Do you indulge in any entertainment that is unclean? Are you guilty of the lustful look?II Timothy 2:22: “Run from anything that gives you the evil thoughts that young men often have, but stay close to anything that makes you want to do right. Have faith and love, and enjoy the companionship of those who love the Lord and have pure hearts.“