How to be Filled with The Holy Spirit – Homeless Jesus Example
The concept of welcoming Christ into our hearts and lives is presented early on in the Christian journey. We are often quoted Christ’s welcome from Revelations 3:20, “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.”
So we take that first step and open the front door to Jesus. But what happens afterward? With time, we show Jesus around, but do we treat him like a tentative guest or does he get to move in and make himself completely at home in our lives?
Why not ask to Jesus to move in today? He doesn’t just want to be a guest. Christ wants a key. Give it to Him, and you won’t believe the renovations He will do.
You can appropriate the filling of the Holy Spirit right now if you:
1. Sincerely desire to be directed and empowered by the Holy Spirit (Matthew 5:6; John 7:37-39).
2. Confess your sins. By faith thank God that He has forgiven all of your sins – past, present and future – because Christ died for you (Colossians 2:13-15; 1 John 1; 2:1-3; Hebrews 10:1-17).
3. Present every area of your life to God (Romans 12:1, 2).
4. By faith claim the fullness of the Holy Spirit, according to:
- His command – Be filled with the Spirit. “And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit” (Ephesians 5:18)
- His promise – He will always answer when we pray according to His will. “And this is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests which we have asked of Him” (1 John 5:14, 15).
How to pray in faith to be filled with the Holy Spirit:
We are filled with the Holy Spirit by faith alone. However, true prayer is one way of expressing your faith. The following is a suggested prayer:
“Dear Father, I need You. I acknowledge that I have been directing my own life and that, as a result, I have sinned against You. I thank You that You have forgiven my sins through Christ’s death on the cross for me. I now invite Christ to again take His place on the throne of my life. Fill me with the Holy Spirit as You commanded me to be filled, and as You promised in Your Word that You would do if I asked in faith. I now thank You for directing my life and for filling me with the Holy Spirit.”
Does this prayer express the desire of your heart? If so, bow in prayer and trust God to fill you with the Holy Spirit right now.
If you prayed this prayer, we would love to hear about it!
Image credit: Seite-3