The Nine Ungrateful Lepers
“One of them came back to Jesus, shouting, “Glory to God, I’m healed!” He fell flat on the ground in front of Jesus, face downward in the dust, thanking Him for what He had done…Jesus asked, “Didn’t I heal ten men? Where are the nine?” (Luke 17:15-17).
Are we thankful for God’s miracles?
I have often thought about how exciting it will be when we get to heaven and our eyes will be opened to all the miracles God did for us – most of which we are unaware of. We will also come to realize how many times we rationalized away many of the miracles…like the nine lepers who were healed.
The cartoon character, Charlie Brown, gave several suggestions as to why the nine lepers never returned to Jesus to give thanks. Keep in mind that these are only suggestions, but they reveal a whole lot about human nature:
- One man waited to see if the cure was real.
- One waited to see if it would last.
- One said he would see Jesus later.
- One decided that he had never really had leprosy.
- One said he would have gotten well anyway.
- One gave the glory to the priests.
- One said, “Oh, well, Jesus didn’t really do anything.”
- One said, “Any rabbi could have done it.”
- One said, “I was already much improved.”
Think about it…are you thanking God for all He has done and is doing for you? Or are we, like the lepers, rationalizing away God’s miracles?
Father, would You please give us an attitude of gratitude – every day? Thank You! Amen.