Clover and Trusting God

Written by M. Larson

How big is your God? Discover more about Him.

Join us for our Daily Devotional Chat
today in our Women’s Chatroom at 10:30 am EDT.

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding” (Proverbs 3:5).

When I was a girl, I was superstitious about four-leaf clovers. I held a common belief that they were lucky. I would find and pick them and put them in my Bible! When I came to know the Lord and realized how utterly contrary to faith in God and prayer they actually were–I cleaned the clovers out of my Bible and threw them away.

But I still like clovers in general and enjoy seeing them grow in my yard. They provide nitrogen for the garden, they make a good ground cover, and the red clovers especially are rather pretty.  Healing teas made with red and white clover flowers may be applied to some types of external sores or taken internally for specific conditions.

Our God has made so many provisions for our well being in this world! He has given us all kinds of good, nutritious food to eat that supply what our bodies may need. He has given us herbs for healing various ailments and some to even calm our emotions. We can know these things; but unless we partake of them, their invisible benefits do us no good. Some eat nothing but junk food. It fills the immediate void but has no substance or nutrition to it.

Superstitious beliefs are like junk food: in a sense they fill a need, but they stand between genuine fulfillment and us! Both superstitious beliefs and trust in God require faith.

Complete trust in God meets our needs in every way. When we trust in our Father in Heaven no matter what happens, without trying to understand in our own human way, we have peace.

Psalms 37:3-4 says, “Trust in the LORD and do good; so shall you dwell in the land, and you will be fed. Delight yourself also in the Lord; and he shall give you the desires of your heart.”

Often I have looked back at things that happened–which at the time I just could not understand–and I can see how wonderfully God worked them for good (Romans 8:28). Some things, however, I still don’t understand; and I don’t know if I ever will until I get to heaven. But one thing I know: I know in Whom I believe! And I know that He knows so much better than I do what is best!

Lord God, today I want to recommit my heart to You and trust You fully with my life. Give me patience and grace in the areas where I do not fully understand what is happening. I release my worry to You and trust You to take care of the details and work good in and through my circumstances. Thank you Lord. In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.

Questions: How can one learn to trust God in ALL circumstances even though some are difficult to understand?  What does the word “faith” mean to you in relation to having faith in God? What are some of the characteristics of God that helps us trust Him?

About the Author Muriel Larson

Daily audio podcast: A second daily devotional, Reconciling Love & Justice, today on the Men’s Devotional Blog

7 Responses to “Clover and Trusting God”

• kanj says:

Muriel, thank you for the devotional. To answer your first question: learning to let go and let God has comforted me in this wonderful journey with all it’s joys, blessings and trials. trials have many levels of sorrow and it’s these trials that have brought me to Christ.
    to the second question: when I say, hear, read the word ‘faith’ I think of nothing else but the word ‘love’ adjoining it.
    to the third: God is a loving God, a forgiving God, God is our Father who will never abandon us no matter what.

• Dr. Muriel Larson says:

Thank you, sisters, for your encouraging comments. Oh, Candyce, I have known throughout my Christian life that I would certainly go to Heaven when the Lord calls me home. And I walk with Him and talk with Him all the time. Arlette, I have gone through many trials in my life, and I’m so grateful that I have been just able to turn them over to my Lord and always have His amazing peace and joy in my heart! Praise the Lord!

• anonymous says:

Thank you, Muriel. I really needed to be reminded of this. I even thought of that today, ‘none of this makes sense,’ when thinking upon a certain situation. Thanks for reminding us that sometimes we might never fully ‘understand’ a situation, but God is somehow, mysteriously at work.
    sister candyce, the author wrote-in the word ‘until’ before ‘I get to heaven,’ saying she may not know until she gets to Heaven. I know, it’s easy to miss!
    Sisters, thanks for sharing. I’m encouraged by your faith. Arlette, thanks for sharing your testimony. I guess I sort of went thru a similar thing, but have been waiting on God to help me & pull me through. There have been so many misunderstandings with people, and it’s just left me drained at times. I pray for strength & protection, if you can lift up a prayer thanks. God bless you all.

• Candyce says:

I’m wondering why the author didn’t seem to have any assurance of salvation. She said “i don’t know if I’ll ever get to heaven.” By my understanding we do know. We know that by Christ we are welcomed into heaven. That for those that believe and love him, he is creating a place for us.

The rest of the devotional is good and the previous ones that I’ve read but that line just made me wonder.

• Arlette says:

I went through a horrible, long, painful and totally awful series of situations that I thought would see me in the grave and thought that is where I wanted to be. I thought nothing good would ever come from such horror. I was wrong. I found that God’s peace truly mended my life. It wasn’t a flash of light or a booming voice and then presto! all was well. It was a series of days and weeks that the pain began to fade. I began to believe I could be forgiven and repent my sins. I began to praise my Father as I saw the wonderful blessings of my life. Joy came from seeing and thanking the Lord for all His gifts. All things I gave thanks for from a beautiful afternoon breeze to the most wonderful and sweet animals that I get to care for to my amazing family. I saw all that He had sent to me and His love was always there. He was there for me always and is there for us all if we just have even a little faith.

• christy says:

God’s timing is always perfect. He knows what you need to hear, when you need to hear it. Thank you for allowing Him to speak through you. One thing I would like to share that a friend just shared with me this morning…in all circumstances we must keep our eyes on the Lord. If we dwell on earthly things, then the enemy has won. We must trust in Him at all times and know that He will not leave us alone. God bless you today.

• shobana says:

Hi ,thanks for the message this is the exact message i needed today because i am undergoing a proiblem which i totally could not understand….i am assured that god will give peace to my heart..thanks