Family Devotions

Written by M. Larson

Do you feel discouraged about getting your family devotions set up so everyone is eagerly participating? You can talk to someone about that.

Join us for our Daily Devotional Chat today in our Women’s Chatroom at 10:30 am EDT.

Is your family altar one of enthusiastic expectancy–or does it draw yawns? What can we do to make it more interesting and spiritually rewarding?

Seek God’s guidance
He promised, “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go” (Psalm 32:8, NIV). Our Lord was the most fascinating teacher who ever lived; thousands listened to Him for days! Certainly He can help us make our family times with Him a highlight of our family’s day.

Gear the get-together to your family
If you have young children, you may wish to use The Children’s Version of the King James Bible or Bible story books written for children.  Or you might read Scriptures and then explain in simple language what they mean.  A scriptural book geared to your children’s understanding might also be used. For one period of time we read daily from the Children’s Pilgrim’s Progress Book to which our young daughter eagerly looked forward to.

Encourage participation
Sing a gospel song or chorus. Let older children take turns reading the scripture. Take prayer requests, and have a round-robin of prayer.

Encourage scripture memory and creative worship
Let each family member recite one of his or her favorite verses. Even more thrilling is trying to make a little song out of a favorite verse. Give as an example some known scripture chorus such as, “I Will Sing of the Mercies of the Lord Forever.” A key to composing a song from a scripture verse is repetition. Try it yourself first. Colossians 3:16 says, “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.”

Encourage a spirit of praise
Let family members tell of answered prayer and other blessings. Pause briefly to allow them to praise and thank the Lord for these gifts. Recognition of God’s blessings and spoken gratitude for them are powerful builders of faith and love toward Him. And after all, isn’t that a main purpose of a family altar? Psalm 92:1 says, “It is good to praise the Lord and make music to your name, O Most High, to proclaim your love in the morning and your faithfulness at night.”

Richard Monckton Milnes said, “The Christian home is the Master’s workshop where the processes of character molding are silently, lovingly, faithfully and successfully carried on.”

Questions: How do you make your family devotions more interesting and spiritually rewarding?  Why is it important to have enjoyable family devotions with the whole family?

About the Author Muriel Larson

9 Responses to “Family Devotions”

• Zandile says:

Oh Thank you thank you, God bless every women of God….we are more than conquerors through our Lord Jesus Christ. Let the Holy Spririt guide us in everything. Amen!! Our Chirldren & Husbands will become what we want them to be. Keep on ministering to them always. Love you all my family.

We can do this, remember nothing is impossible with God (Luke 1v39)

• Marilyn says:

Hi Sharon! As I was clarifying my point, I was speaking in generalities and not intending to direct my comments to anyone in particular. Please forgive me if you felt admonished, as this was certainly not intended. God bless!

• sharon b says:

marylyn i don’t have any conflict with anyone

• Marilyn says:

Hi Sharon! I did not intend to suggest that women should not lead devotions with their children. I just believe that a Christian wife’s priority should be to her husband. This is her highest calling, and she honors God by submitting to His design for marriage. If leading devotions with their children is agreeable to her husband, that’s great! If, however, doing such leads to conflict between them, then I believe it would be wiser to respect her husband’s wishes. Their children will learn more about God through their mother’s ‘quiet and gentle spirit,’ and her sacrificial love, than through devotions on a battlefield!

• sharon b says:

helen
    i agree that women can and should lead devotionals for their children if the man does not or can not do it

• Marilyn says:

I once read a book, Husbands Who Won’t Lead, And Wives Who Won’t Follow. This book described my marriage perfectly. My husband and I had been married for 17 years when I came to Christ, and our marriage was more of a battlefield, than a refuge! He was an angry controller, and I set up a fortress around my heart, and shut him out. I had filled the empty places of my heart with food and shopping, trying to satisfy a need that only God could. After the Lord penetrated my heart, tearing down those walls, He opened my eyes that I might see the ‘whole picture’ of our marriage, and not just my husband’s failings as a loving leader in our home! However, my new-found faith, and his unbelieving heart, created a new means by which Satan could divide us further. Becoming more ‘spiritual’ and now longing for a Christian home, I was soon finding myself the ‘spiritual leader’ in our home, which can sabotage the marriage and undermine my goal of marital restoration! Men NEED to be respected, like women need to be loved. If the husband thinks his wife is disappointed in him, even on the spiritual level, he will withdraw from her. We wives have incredible influence on our husbands, and we can choose to make it positive or negative. When wives, whose husbands don’t/won’t lead, take the lead, they deflate their husbands further. A man’s confidence is pivotal to his leadership, and when he knows that his wife is confident in him, he will soar! It has taken me another 15 years to learn this, but I am now realizing the wisdom of 1 Peter 3:1-7. Being a quiet and gentle spirit is a challenge for me, for I tend to be outspoken and opinionated. But this very characteristic, which can be useful in some areas, can be damaging in others. I am ‘under God’s construction’ in this area of my life, and would encourage any wives who may see themselves in this situation, to seek God’s wisdom and design for the marriage relationship, as you submit yourself to His refining work, and commit your husband to God’s redeeming work.

• Parve says:

Thanks for the encouragement Helen..i’m actually in a situation like that…my hubby not to keen to lead devotions..a practice i started about a month ago..so i go through a devotional (“one year devotional for kids) with my son…we are both learning a lot and i’m praying that my husband will one take it up and join us and maybe lead them also.

• Helen says:

I want to encourage the women who do not have a male leader for devotionals in the home. Please go ahead and lead devotionals yourself. I missed out on teaching our grown children because I thought my husband should lead the devotional. Even tho it states in the Word that the husband is to teach the children the Word, many husbands do not want to lead. Devotionals are a great informal way to teach and they encourages the parents to intentionally role-model the devotional topic. God bless all parents as they teach and live in godliness moral charater in all parts of their lives. Remember, you are continually watched as if on TV to your children.

• sharon b says: