Cockroach on the Keyboard

Written by M. Larson

devo-interact-icon-42x42Do you have situations in your life that are very stressful? Want to talk to someone?

Join us for our Daily Devotional Chat today in our Women’s Chatroom at 10:30 am EDT.

As church pianist I started to play the introduction for the choir during the morning service. After several measures, I glanced at the keyboard and was so startled that I almost missed a beat. There, on middle D, lay a stunned cockroach flailing its legs. Obviously it had run into the path of my flying fingers.

What could I do? Gritting my teeth, I went on, gingerly trying to avoid middle D, but not always able to do so. (The choir number would be in the Key of D!) Finally, halfway through the first verse I was able to flick the now-deceased roach onto the floor. (Well, that’s one way to kill a roach!)

Some problems we may face are not so easily resolved as a cockroach on a keyboard. They might not be brushed off during the first phase of the situation. We may have to live with them longer than the first verse. But I have learned that if I just keep looking to the Lord for grace and trusting Him with a problem, He takes care of it one way or another.

Sometimes as we pray, He shows us ways to make the situation easier, as I did by avoiding the “middle” D while I played. Sometimes He shows us how to deal with the situation, as I did by flicking that roach to the floor during a whole note in the melody. (Thank heavens for piano “hold” foot pedals!)

Then during or after the resolving of the problem, there’s the cleanup.  After church I went to the rest room and washed my hands off using liquid soap.

But in dealing with life’s problems, we may often need a more comprehensive spiritual cleanup.

It may be necessary to ask the Lord to forgive us if we have sinned. “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (1John 1:9, NIV).  We may discover a need to forgive any who have hurt us. “Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you” (Ephesians 4:32, NIV).   And let’s never forget the One Who guided and helped us! Let’s thank and praise Him for His help and deliverance.

“Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; his love endures forever” (Psalms 107:1, NIV).

Questions:
How do you deal with the problems in your life? Why do you suppose some problems stay longer than others?

About the Author Muriel Larson

10 Responses to “Cockroach on the Keyboard”

• kaddee says:

thank God i don’t have to rely on raid God is more powerful!

• kanj says:

with the Lord in my life, any trial that is bigger than me, i give to Him (which applies to every trial). i know i can’t prevent trials from happening but put all trust and hope in Him. and in the times that I feel i know what i’m doing and don’t take it to the Lord, i soon realize that i need Him even more.
    i always thought i was a strong person without the Lord in my life, that i was in control. well, this well rounded, in control, take charge kinda person soon found herself drowning at the bottom of the pit and even though i knew how to ‘swim’, i did not get out until the Lord saw that I was ready, that i had seen the light. i had finally succombed to the fact that i was weak. now three, almost three years later, i am strong but i’ve not let go of God’s out-stretched hand. i’m empty now and if it is God’s plan, i’ll have a few years to get full, be of help to others instead of myself.

• sharon b says:

andi

• Andi says:

Wow……..Sharon. May HE honour & bless this giving over to HIM.

• sharon b says:

today i just told God i am a mess and to take me and do what He wanted to do with me

• Trisha says:

When i have a problem, my first reaction, being a perfectionist, is to panic. My insides go berserk! The anxiety level gets worse before it gets better. i imagine all kinds of things resulting from the situation. The LORD has been working with me about this. He feeds me his Word through websites like this one. One scripture HE gave me is in 1 Chronicles 16:11 “Seek the LORD and HIS strength, yearn for and seek HIS face to be in HIS presence continually”.

• Andi says:

Oh Evelyn, how well I can relate to what you write of yourself. I was a Professional Organizer! It was years before I came to grips w/God BEING Sovereign and there being NO room for anyone but HIM on the throne. In fact it was during our years living in an almost ‘feudal Kingdom’ in which God taught me to understand HIS Sovereingty……and these were the years of learning to live w/the cockroaches as well. LOL and thanking HIM for those days and lessons learned.
    Be blessed this day Evelyn Woman of God and thanks for your godly input

• Evelyn says:

Unfortunately, in my life, depending on the problem, because I am such a problem solver, I try and fix the problem right now , in my meager power. Well, I’m sure you see my dilemma. I do not have permission to sit on the throne. I am not God. He does not need my help.
    So, what have I learned to do? I have learned to pray for my heart to be still and for God to grant more wisdom, mercy and grace as He works out the “kinks” in the situation. Also, just reading God’s word brings comfort to a seemingly impossible situation. Many times, it has helped me just to re-focus my thinking. I have an awesome group of people who pray for me on a regular basis and for specific needs, as well. I reach out to them when life throws its fierce darts and find comfort in knowing that the God I serve, still hears and answers prayers.
    Some problems may last longer than others because through the problem, I have opportunity for God to mature me in an area or areas that He wants to use in bringing glory to himself and drawing others into His eternal kingdom through my witness.

• Andi says:

I too am LOL as I remember our days in missions and cockroaches were a daily part of our life. We did indeed have to resolve living w/them over the long term and it was a challenge. You have said well Muriel that some issues tend to take time but they don’t have to overwhelm us.
    I also thank you for this word today as I have to ask forgiveness of both God and one person. I needed this loving reminder to forgive. I will forward this devotional along w/my contrition right away; gulp and let my emotions catch up to my actions!

• Gail Phillips says:

I particularly enjoyed Muriel Larson’s devotional today as my family is currently vactionning in Florida and have to share our accomodations with a few cockroaches. Coming from Albert where the climate is cold, we never have these pesky creatures. Being able to access truth media via our daughter’s laptop has been a special blessing while we are away from home.
    Blessings Muriel.
    Gail (a Canadian mentor for this site)