Getting Priorities Straight

Written by M. Larson

Do you feel isolated, hurt or afraid and have no one to talk to?

An acquaintance of mine was a teacher at a Christian school, but I sensed that he seemed to have lost that first love for Christ. “Tell me something,” I said to him, “do you spend time with the Lord every day?”

“I don’t have time for that,” he said. “I get enough Bible preparing lessons for a class I teach.” Then I knew why he had lost his first love for the Lord, and why earthly things were more important to him than heavenly things.

If you are active in your church, do you get so busy doing things “for God” that you excuse yourself from not spending time with Him? Or do you sense this is happening in the lives of others serving in your church? If we serve the Lord in any capacity and aren’t putting Christ first, we lose our proper motivation. Consequently, we fail the Lord in some way!

What Are Our Priorities?

Sometimes I have been appalled at the slovenly way in which many who serve in the church do their jobs! If they came in late for their secular job almost every day, they would be fired. If they were not prepared to do their job properly, ditto. How badly the church has been hurt by those who do not make Him their first priority! God’s Word enjoins us to “do all things decently and in order” (1 Corinthians 14:40, KJV).

At one church where I led the Children’s Sunday School assembly, I noticed that some of the teachers did not attend the opening session. On investigation I discovered that they usually came in late and went straight to their classrooms. One teacher took that time to study her lesson!
Where do priorities enter in here? Maybe it only means getting up five minutes earlier in the morning. Definitely it means giving Christ our best—and cheerfully cooperating with other Christians in service for Him.

The Most Important Time Use

When Jesus visited the home of Mary and Martha, Mary sat at Jesus’ feet listening and learning, while Martha bustled about doing this and that, and constantly serving. Martha became exasperated with her sister, whom she thought was wasting her time and being idle. “Lord,” she finally exclaimed, “Don’t you care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her to come and help me!”

“Martha, Martha,” Jesus exclaimed, “you are anxious about many things. There is really only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has chosen that good part and it won’t be taken from her” (Luke 10:38-41.).

No matter how busy our days may be, our prime priority should be to “choose that good part.” We do that by setting apart some time each day to spend with our Lord: listening to Him through His Word and His Spirit and talking with Him, sharing our personal burdens and concerns for others.

When we make this time for the Lord, He gives us wisdom to have time for everything that’s important in His sight. Jesus told His disciples to stop worrying so much about mundane things. “But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you” (Matthew 6:33, KJV).

About the Author Muriel Larson

7 Responses to “Getting Priorities Straight”

• kanj says:

I have only one priority for the remaining of this earthly life and that is to emulate what Jesus Christ has taught/is teaching, and to please Him who loves me eternally.
    As for how much time I spend with the Lord each day? Each morning, I give the morning and each evening I give the evening. I’ve been a member here with you all for 3 years now and I find the fellowship here adds imensley to my spiritual growth. My life has a purpose now and all that’s required of me is to give one thing…..my heart to God.

• Dr. Muriel Larson says:

Oh, Tara dear, your comment is such an encouragement to me. I want so much that everything I do for the Lord and His work to count for something. So it’s a wonderful joy to me to hear that my article accomplished that. May the Lord bless and use you to His glory. In His love! Dr. Muriel

• tara says:

I’ve just read this article with tears streaming down my face. I used to wake up every morning seeking out to see his face. Lately, I’ve let my job, children and other things occupy my mind and heart. I’ve allowed myself to fall into a pattern of being so busy that my morning routine has become a thing of the past. I will NEVER again, fall into this destructive pattern, of seeking worldy things, feeling lost, out of touch, like a person watching life go by not really being a part of it. Without his light we are a empty shells. Lord, I’m so sorry for my choices. I love you with all of my heart.

• Fiona Williams says:

My first and last priority in life is spending time in His presence. I won’t go a day without seeking my God first.I spend time in praise and worship everyday of my life.I play gospel music at work which keep me focused and when I get home first thing my radio go on. I just want to be in His presence,because that is where I find peace,love,kindness,strength to carry me through lives journey.He is my first and last,my everlasting love. I cannot breathe without Him in order for God to bless me I must be a blessing unto Him.Allowing Him to use me as His servant. I can do all things through Christ who strengthen me.My favorite scripture in the world.Phil 4:13

• Barbara says:

I love spending morning time with God. Each day I awake to a fresh cup of brewed coffee, settle down in my chair and start my day in prayer and seeking the Lord. I don’t know any better way than to start my days off this way. The joy that comes from such morning time is truly a blessing. I have a little jingle that goes like this: “I love waking up with Jesus in my cup!” Kinda like the old Folgers commercial. Early in the morning I seek thee…before the cares and worries of the new day arise…for in doing so, He gives me the ability to make it through no matter what comes my way.

God Bless

• Great devotional! It’s sad how many Christians forfeit the life-transforming blessings of regular time in God’s Word(Psalm 1:2-3)because they esteem tending to their daily responsibilities as a better use of their time than time in God’s word.

• Life says:

Questions: What are your priorities in life? How much time do you spend with the Lord? …. My Answer a: these devotionals are a priority in my life, they are the first thing I like to do each day w/ a cup of coffee. Devotionals; praying for myself and for my family and friends, chat rooms, etc… It is also a priority, and “God gives me His wisdom for all that is important in His sight”… I like that verse in Matthew 6:33. b) I spend a great part of my day w/ the Lord and His counsel through HIs Holy Spirit. I rarely even speak without asking Him what to say…. What do ppl do without Him.