But I Have No Talent!

Written by M. Larson

Are you afraid to ask for help? You can ask us.

“Every one of us should use our talents and our gifts for the Lord to the utmost of our ability“, I said to the members of my Bible class.

“But what if you have no talent like me?” asked Andrea.  “I don’t really feel as if there is anything I can do as well as someone else.”

“Oh, yes, Andrea,” I said, “you have a gift to serve, perhaps more than one.  You just haven’t realized it yet.  It’s up to you to pray to the Lord to show you what your gifts and talents are.  And in the meantime, continue to learn more of His Word and take every opportunity you have to learn how to do something for Him.”

Several weeks later I was talking to the director of a child evangelism organization in our city.  “I’ll be starting classes for Bible club teachers in September,” he said.  “Do you know anyone who might be interested?”

Immediately I thought of Andrea and several other young women who had shown interest in growing and serving.  “I think so,” I answered.  “I’ll talk it up to the members of my Bible class.”

After hearing my pep talk, Andrea, Grace, and Wylene said they would like to learn how to work with children and reach them for the Lord Jesus.  After they started with their training program and began holding clubs in their neighborhoods, they were so thrilled!  At Andrea’s first club meeting, which she held with Grace, she had the joy of leading several children to Christ.  She was off to a flying start.

During the following spring Andrea was asked to help lead the singing at the Tuesday afternoon Bible club.  Andrea stood in front of about 300 children doing an enthusiastic job.

In our Vacation Bible School in June Andrea helped in the Primary Department.  On the second day, when I gave the invitation to receive Christ as Savior, 16 children prayed with me to receive Him and then came forward to indicate that they had received Christ.  I was able to call on Andrea and Grace to help me deal with them personally.

Andrea also helped me lead the two-part singing on a gospel chorus.  I don’t know what I would have done without Andrea–the young woman who had told me less than a year before that she had no talent!

The Apostle Paul wrote that there are many different kinds of gifts. In First Corinthians 12 he listed these gifts and abilities (verses 8-10, 28).  “All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and He gives them to each one, just as he determines” (vs. 11).

Questions: Are you using the gifts that God has given you? How can you know that you have certain gifts?

About the Author Muriel Larson

6 Responses to “But I Have No Talent!”

• Sharon says:

thank you for the article, good one, sometimes i think i don’t have talent but i know i can pray for people, christine i am sorry you are angry and think there is no god there just look at creation.

• florence says:

as am believing GOD for the manifestation of my talent ,will he show it to me or how.

• florence says:

i thank God for this channel, to reach out to those of us who are yet to no our talent.i dont no my talent and am still believing God for the manifestation of my talent.

• Barb says:

My dear Christina, I am so sorry for whatever made you so hurt & angry against God. For people who have a personal relationship with God through His Son, Jesus Christ, you can’t imagine how bizarre it sounds to hear someone say “There is no such thing as God”.You are partly right though, because God isn’t a thing, He is a Person Who longs to communicate with you, Christina, & each one of us. Nothing will stop us from eventually dying physically, but the Bible says in John 11:25-26 “Jesus said … “I am the Resurrection and the Life. Whoever believes in Me, though they are dead, yet shall they live. And whoever lives & believes in Me shall never die…”. Christina, we are all dead spiritually in our sins until we accept the sacrifice of Jesus’ death on the Cross, where He shed His own blood to cleanse us, and to give us “new” life.. When we choose to believe that truth, then the Bible says that we are “born again”. This is a supernatural act of God because the wall of sin that separates us is broken down through the death of Jesus Christ. Our eyes are opened, and we can receive the truth. Jesus said in John 14:6 “I am the Way and the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father but by Me”. My dear one, it is a choice that only you can make. The devil may tell you that you are crazy, or he may make you angry at me and/or God (he does that through your thoughts), but he doesn’t have the power to stop you from calling out to Jesus (even if it is to tell Him that you don’t believe but that you want to). When you make that choice, everything will change, and as I said before, you will see the Truth, Jesus, and He will set you free. Knowing Jesus doesn’t promise us a perfect life down here, but He will be with us through thick & thin. He said in Hebrews 13:5 “…I will never leave you nor forsake you”, and I can certainly attest to that! Please, Christina, find a Bible and read it, and God will talk to you through it. Trust me, the newspaper won’t do it, but if you read them both, you will see all the more that what the Bible says is true. Please go to http://thelife.com/study/knowjesuspersonally.html and you will get more info there about this, and you can also sign up with a mentor there, which will be very helpful to you. I’m sure that you won’t understand what I’m about to say, but I’m writing this because I love you – someone loved me enough to share the truth of the Bible & salvation with me, and I will be forever grateful to them and to God!!! My prayer is that we WILL meet in Heaven (NO fairy tale) someday, because to miss Heaven is the worst tragedy that anyone can experience! And either way, Heaven or hell, it is forever, no second chances once we leave this earth! and, I AM praying for you!!! P.S. If you comment on this, I will receive your reply via e-mail.

• Christina says:

There is no such thing as god. You’re a lunatic. Sorry you’re afraid to die, but fairy tales won’t change it. Blah blah jesus blah jars of clay? Lmao. Don’t pray for me. Read a newspaper instead.

• Nancy says:

Yes, there isn’t a one in whom God’s Spirit dwells that, by virtue of that very indwelling Spirit, is equipped to serve. Humanly, the “self” things (personally, and toward others) like compare, doubt, downgrade, tire, ignore are in control, but God Himself protects the one who He has called, and lifts up the willing servant into heavenly places here ’til we see Him face to face. We wonder at their peace and joy! and all the time, we missed that it’s all about Him ! With thankfulness for those dear ones who minister His Grace and Mercy by day and night.
    II Corinthians 4:7, “But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.”