Equipped With the Sword

Written by M. Larson

Do you struggle with the deep darkness of depression? We want to talk about that with you.

“I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you” (Psalm 119:9, NIV).

I awoke at two in the morning and was instantly aware that a strange feeling of anxiety gripped me. I couldn’t understand it.  I had never felt this way before without knowing why I was anxious.

“Lord, what is the matter?” I asked.  “Why am I anxious?”

I thought about things that had happened or thoughts I had had during the past week.  “Is it because I celebrated another birthday and I’m getting older?” I wondered.  I thought about that, and then discarded the thought.  I had lived a good and full life.  I knew that when I died I would go to be with the Lord.

What then?  Was I fearful for my elderly mother, or my two daughters?  Well, I had put all three into the Lord’s hands.  My mother trusted the Lord and I knew He would take good care of her.  My daughters had some problems, and I taken them to the Lord. But still the feeling of dread persisted.

This feeling lay on me like a heavy weight. “Lord, help me!” I cried silently.

Just then a Bible verse I had memorized flashed through my mind; and I said it aloud:  “I sought the Lord and he heard me, and he delivered me from all my fears” (Psalm 34:4, KJV).  As soon as I said that, I felt God’s sweet peace come over me.  The anxiety was gone.

I have had that experience happen several times since then, but as soon as I reminded myself of that verse, I was delivered from anxiety.  Using that verse is just one of the many ways in which I have learned the power of the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God (Ephesians 6:17)

The sword of the Spirit is the only offensive part of the armor of God listed in Ephesians 6.  If I had not memorized Psalm 34:4, I’m not sure I would have been equipped to banish that heavy burden of anxiety.  Perhaps I would have laid there for hours with that burden.  But I had memorized God’s Word for all kinds of occasions, and in this instance that verse had paid off.

The Bible has many scriptures that can fortify or help us or others. Here are some particular ones: Guilt: 1 John 1:9; Temptation: 1 Corinthians 10:13; Worry, Fear, Anxiety: Philippians 4:4-8; Need: Philippians 4:19; Depression: Matthew 11:28-29; Suffering: Romans 8:18; Calamity, Confusion, or Disappointment: 3:5-6; Sorrow: 2 Corinthians 1:3-4; Loss of Faith: Hebrews 11:6; Witnessing for Christ: John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10, 13; Ephesians 2:8-9.

Fortification verses can be memorized when we walk or drive to work, when we are waiting in line or a dentist’s office, whenever a particular scripture helps or impresses us.  Memorizing scriptures has not only helped me, but enabled me to help other people, too.

The psalmist said, “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you” (119:9, NIV).

Questions:
Do you struggles with depression? http://lessons.powertochange.com/study/suicide.html?section=suicide

About the Author Muriel Larson

11 Responses to “Equipped With the Sword”

• Thank you, Barbara, for noting the omission of the full Scripture reference for “Calamity, confusion, disappointment” in my article, “Equipped With The Sword.” The oversight was made in my typed copy in my documents-and I have inserted it. It is Proverbs 3:5-6, which has been one of my top mainstays in my life!

• Barbara D. says:

Calamity, confusion, disappointment in the article shows chapter 3:5,6 as
    the reference. It comes after a reference to the Book of Romans and I want
    to confirm that the above-mentioned 3: 5,6 refers to Romans, also.
    Written by Ms. Muriel Lawson on October 23, 2010.
    They are wonderfully powerful Bible references that I intend to print for
    my own use.
    Thank you for your God-inspired words and the God-inspired site.
    Blessings,
    Barbara

• sharonb says:

i do know God has blessed me with a wonderful family and many other ways but it is so hard some times i miss my parents and brother so much

• Hi Sharon–One of the best ways to banish depression over losses is to praise the Lord for the blessings you do have!

• sharonb says:

i struggle with depression and have off and on for years mostly about family and the fact that i am the only one left out of my mom dad and brother even though i have a wonderful husband children and grand children i still fell so alone sometimes

• Zyra says:

Hi, thank you for sharing these. I just noticed that the first verse was incorrect. i think its psalms 119:11 but the texts is right. thanks again.

• Cathy says:

I am not good with memorization of Bible verses, never have been. I am a good visualizer, however. When I am anxious at night, I just tell Jesus I am anxious and ask if he will spend time with me. Then I imagine we are on the beach together, (just like he was when Peter was out fishing in the boat with some of the other disciples). Jesus is cooking fish for me in an iron skillet over a firepit. I feel peaceful just spending time with him like that.

• shelley ehh anderon says:

I use to have depression but my faith which was very small brought me through to be the person that I am today. I am still that lump of clay that is still being bounced around to creat in me what the Lord my God has in store for me.

• ria says:

I so agree with this article. I have been awaken during the night numerous times by stress and anxiety. I talk to God until I finally fall back asleep. sometimes thats not until 1/2 hour before the alarm buzzes. I thank Him anyway for spending time with me in the still of the morning. I may be sleep deprived but I find myself a little closer with God. I know stress and anxiety will soon pass as I leave all my worries in the Masters hands.

• Eloise Williams says:

Thank you very much …..I had a desire to continue retaining scriptures by memory…..you presented an open door for opportunity….God Bless You

• lori says:

I wish my memory were better and that I could memorize all of these beutiful verses. It’s happened to me as well, when I remember a verse and say it, that feeling of “peace” that overcomes the fear or whatever it is, and God’s love overtakes it, and it’s beautiful how He takes it all from me as I ask, and I not only feel peace, but I don’t even think about it any longer and whatever it is … is resoved. PTL I loved your devotional. Thanks for the verses. I have saved them into a document.