Honor Your Mother

Written by Barbara Alpert

Is this a hard day for you? We would love to pray for you.

“‘Honor your father and mother’—which is the first commandment with a promise— ‘so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.’” (Ephesians 6:2-3)

Some reading today’s devotional find it easy to honor, love, and respect your mother. God chose a god-fearing mother to birth, nurture, and guide you for many years. She taught, encouraged, and disciplined you in the ways of the Lord. Her faith, values, and obedience to God helped shape you into the woman you are today. When Mother’s Day arrives, you freely celebrate, honor, and affirm your gratitude to her.

Others struggle when Mother’s Day arrives. For whatever reason, your mother may not have been, and still may not be, a good, healthy, spiritual role model. Your heart weeps as you continue to cling to sullen memories, anger, and bitterness. This wounded condition is actually robbing you from additional blessings God desires to bestow upon you. He wants you to enjoy life abundantly more than you could ever hope or imagine. Forgiveness is a vital key to unlocking more joy and blessings of the Lord into your life.

You may claim, “Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me.” (Psalm 27:10) As a Christian, the Lord has received you. You are His beloved daughter. More so, God made a way, through the bloodshed of His Son, to forgive and pardon you from all your sins. He will not forsake you regardless of your past, present, and future blunders when you repent and seek His forgiveness. Psalm 103:12 is a reminder that, “as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed your transgressions from you.”

When Jesus taught his disciples how to pray, He included the importance of forgiveness. In Luke 11:4, He said, “Forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who sins against us…” The apostle Paul wrote in Ephesians 4:32, “Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.” God graciously bestows His grace and forgiveness unto you daily. He expects that you do the same unto others. He may not be asking you to reestablish a particular relationship however, He wants to see you set free from former hurt, pain, and suffering.

Often it is easy to ask God to forgive us of our sins but sadly, it is much harder to extend the same to others. However, by the grace of God, as His Spirit works within our hearts, we are able to heal, understand more clearly, and forgive more easily. We grow in the likeness of Christ who came to rescue, redeem, and forgive not so much the honorable ones but the sinners, the poor in spirit, those sitting in darkness. Seek to forgive as God has forgiven you, so you may enjoy life on earth more abundantly.

Father, Help me to see my Mother as You see her. May I be a blessing to her today. Amen

Questions: How is your relationship with your mother? Has God blessed you with a spiritual mother in lieu of your natural mother?

8 Responses to “Honor Your Mother”

• Sharon says:

dear pam– praye–father God i pray for salvation for pam’s mom i pray for a soften heart and for her to see her need for you that it is a joy serving you God give her dreams and visions of your love for her i pray for pam help her and bless her i pray all of this in JESUS name amen

• Pam says:

I have a fantastic mother. She taught me so much. But she did not teach me about Christ. Sometimes it seems weird to have a mom that is ideal in so many ways, but when it came to spiritual things, she left me to make my own choices. She sent me to Bible Camp and she let me go to AWANA and Youth Group, but I think that she saw the social benefits (no drugs/booze, socialization with other kids my age etc) more than the spiritual benefits. I pray for her and accept her as she is, just as she respects my choices, but I know that some topics are “off-limits”. The biggest blessing in all this is my children, who know no such boundaries and freely tell her about church, bible verses, and what they’ve learned from devotionals.
    Thank you for the devotional, I was particularly touched by the use of Psalm 27:10 – one of my favourite verses, the one I recited at my baptism, the one that holds me up when my parents don’t understand my choice to raise my kids in a Christian home.

• Barbara Alpert Barbara Alpert says:

Dear Maya,

Thank you for your insight regarding “once we become mothers ourselves and what a difficult job that is”. Once we take on the role of motherhood our eyes are open more fully to understanding what our own mothers had to endure. Thanks for the link to your inspirational message. Have a blessed Mother’s Day!

• maya says:

What an inspiring article! So many of us today realize what significance our mothers play in our lives, both for good and for bad. The lesson of forgiveness is so important and timely. Thank you! When we become mothers ourselves, and realize what an incredibly difficult job that is, forgiveness becomes easier. I put together an inspiration message to all mothers out there, about how we can become better mothers by first taking care of our own happiness. I hope you enjoy it! http://www.greatlivingnow.com/2012/05/12/happy-mothers-day/ Happy mothers day to the mothers out there!

• Barbara Alpert Barbara Alpert says:

Donna,

May God’s peace, love and joy be with you today…Mother’s Day…and always! Thanks for sharing.

• Donna says:

I just wanted to thank you for recognizing that this is not a happy day for all ladies and for reminding us that Jesus knows our hurts and is there for us always.

• Barbara Alpert Barbara Alpert says:

Dear Tracey,

Mother and daughter relationships can be very difficult and what hurts more is when certain times of the year like “Mother’s Day” increases the awarness of our inner pain. You are not alone in this suffering for their are many others that struggle in this area too. At this point just begin to thank God for your mother giving birth to you and the good things she has done in your life. If you have not been open and honest with your mom about the strife she is causing you may want to have a heart to heart talk with her. Even though it may be difficult to open up and share your pain with her it may in fact bring healing and restoration to your relationship. Many mothers try to control their adult children for they have not learned that their role in their grown childrens lives have shifted. When you married and had children of your own your mothers role shifted as well. The greatest gift she can give to you now is being the best, gentle, kind-hearted grandmother to your children.

You may have to learn to set boundaries with your Mom so she knows what is good and acceptable in your family and what is not. Point out your mom’s good qualities to her and then share with her the ones that you prefer she does not bring into your family. If you are trying to have peace, love and joy flowing in your household let your mom know she is welcome to partake in the good qualities you live by, but you will have no part of the negativism she brings. Let your Mom know that when you need her wisdom or advice you will ask for such but she has no right to be controlling you and your loved ones.

If your mom does not want to adapt to changing her old ways then you have every right to protect your loved ones from such till she learns that it is imperative and time for her to do things in a new way. Ask God how He wants you to go about bringing resolution into your relationship with your mom so all of you may enjoy the blessings that follow.

Heavenly Father, May you be with Tracey this Mother’s Day and bring her the loving words You would want her to speak to her mom. Allow Your love to flow through Tracey as she learns to forgive, release and move forward in her role as a wonder mother to her children. May You soften and open Tracey’s mother’s heart to the hurt and pain she is bringing into their relationship. May You be in the midst of both of them as they learn how to value, love and honor one another for the good things and the wonderful future You set before them to share. Amen

• Tracey says:

Today is a hard day for me because my mother and I have always had a difficult relationship. Even now at 44 years old sherries to control my life and my family. I know I need to forgive her but I just wish I knew how, and what to do about this relationship. She continually hurts my family and it seems to me the best way to keep my family from that is to avoid contact with her. So how do I both honor her and yet protect my family from someone who refuses to treat them appropriately?