Creativity Given by the Holy Spirit

Written by Suzanne Benner

Is your best never good enough? Talk to a mentor.

“See, I have chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah,  and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with wisdom, with understanding, with knowledge and with all kinds of skills — to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts.” (Exodus 31:2-5)

The New Testament provides instruction on the gifts of the Holy Spirit which God bestows on believers; gifts like wisdom, faith, prophecy, healing, teaching, helping and speaking in tongues. But this Old Testament story conveys a broader picture of the working of the Holy Spirit in our lives.

God, the originator of beauty and creativity, gives His creation – us – the ability to create. Listen to the words used to describe the artistic ability of these people:

• “See, the LORD has chosen Bezalel…and He has filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts.” (Exodus 35:30-31)
  • “And [God] has given both him and Oholiab…the ability to teach others.” (35:34)
  • “[God] has filled them with skill” (35:35)
  • “All who are skilled among you are to come and make everything the LORD has commanded.” (35:10)

God chose them, filled them, gave them ability and then He called them to create beauty for His Tabernacle. Do you have the ability to paint or draw, build or design, sew or weave, write or act, sing or dance? God bestowed these talents on you. He put these skills in your life for you to use to bring glory to His name.

Joy and purpose flow through me at the thought that God gave me skills for a reason! How will you use what God has given you?

Holy God, You created us to create. Fill me with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge. May I use what You have given me for Your glory. Amen

Questions: How does knowing the artistic abilities you have come from God impact you? Does it surprise you that God gives the Holy Spirit to enable us to create beauty? Why or why not?

7 Responses to “Creativity Given by the Holy Spirit”

• Alfred says:

Hi to all of you. I appreciate the positive nature of all these responses. My wife says she cannot draw a straight line with a ruler; yet she excels at baking, cooking, singing, managing finances and knitting. She is also a great care-giver, and one to communicate with family. I’ve got talents as an artist, a woodworker & hand-man. Are our giftings not all equally important?
    To Lily I would say, Yes, our gifts need to be developed in order to be useful. To leave them buried is an insult to God, who gifted us. Though I am well aware of the source of my gifts, it strikes me as important not only to thank Him for these, but also to seek ways of glorifying Him through these gifting. What could be more rewarding than have some soul find Jesus through our God-given abilities & gifts! May all I do glorify my Lord and Savior!

• Lily says:

well the holy spirit gives us the gifts which must be used and improved. If a person does not improve their talents, they will regret for it later. so the notice for all the children is that even if they have stage fright or nervousness when they are on stage, still put courage and move forward.That is how a child of God should be. I hope that all the viewers are praying and using your talents patiently. Thank you!!

• Suzanne Benner Suzanne Benner says:

Dear Juli Ann,

Thanks for your concern. I’ve been away for a few days, thus my tardy reply.

I think you answered your own question very well and I’m glad you took the time to post it, so that others could be reminded of the truth and be encouraged. Satan can use our feelings of insecurity to lie to us and say we aren’t loved by God. Each of us is loved by God, not because of anything we do or do not do, but because we are His creation and He has chosen us.

It is very true that God gifts each one of us differently, some with artistic abilities as the men mentioned in the devotional, others with gifts of faith, healing, prophecy, speaking in other tongues (1 Corinthians 12); others God calls to be pastors, teachers, evangelists or apostles (Ephesians 4); still others are gifted to serve, encourage, contribute to the needs of others, lead, and show mercy (Romans 12). All gifts are given to build up the body of Christ and glorify God, therefore no one can take pride in their gift, nor should they feel shame or lacking because they don’t have a particular gift that seems more visible.

Heavenly Father, thank you for Juli Ann and the way You have gifted her. May each one who reads this blog ask You how You have gifted them. May You encourage them through Your Holy Spirit and remind them of the truth of Your gifts.

• Barbara Alpert Barbara Alpert says:

Paula, So glad that this devotional spoke to the Spirit within you. I pray that God’s Spirit will gift you with inspiration and creativity as you plan the craft, lessons and games for the girls. I am certain the girls will learn and be blessed by the various ideas you come up with. Have fun with the girls next week!

• Paula says:

This devotion feels me with excitement! My after school girls group begins next week. I was feeling dull and completely devoid of creativity. This scripture gives me hope that The Lord will give me the gift of creativity in crafts, lessons and games.

• Juli Ann Danner says:

Suzanne,
    I have a small problem with today’s devotion. To someone like myself, who hasn’t been blessed by God with artistic abilities, but, with many other abilities, I worry that someone like myself reading this devotion would listen the devil’s lies causing them to doubt God’s love for them because He hadn’t blessed them with these artistic gifts. I am blessed with the gift to do amazing research and document what I find. I am blessed with the wonderful gift of sympathy and empathy for others which then results in me being blessed with the gift of compassion for others. I am blessed with the love and ability to clean most any area like a real pro.
    Thanks for taking the time to read my response.
    Juli Ann

• Kristin says:

I sometimes forget that it’s for his glory that I can sing, and lead others in praise. I loose focus on what’s the most important part of why He would gift me in this way. And, when I do that, I over look the people He has put in my life to lead everyday: my children. I’m convinced today that leading 100’s of people in praise and worship is nothing compared to watching my children fall inlove with our Lord Jesus, and teaching them how to express that in song. When God is glorified, my life is fulfilled and satisfying.