Purple Heart Christians

Written by Becky Toews

devo-interact-icon-42x421Take today’s next step:  Don’t wait on the sidelines, join The Life!

“Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts…” (Hebrews 3:7b-8a)

How many of you have been wounded by unmet expectations? Have you been hit by a mischaracterization of who you are? Have you ever had a relationship explode in front of you? Have you experienced disappointment so strong that it has seared future hope?

Everyone needs encouragement, but Christians who have been wounded in battles such as these need a special infusing of courage in order to remain faithful and loyal to their commander in chief. When the shrapnel of rejection, betrayal, or disappointment hits, we have the opportunity to choose how we will respond. Will we let the wounds calcify and harden our hearts or be used to propel us on to moral excellence?

Those who receive Purple Hearts in the military are those who have been killed or wounded in battle by shrapnel, mines, biological agents, or explosions. Most who are given this Medal of Honor exhibit the same mindset as my father-in-law, who received the Purple Heart in WWII: “I was just doing my duty.”

God intends that the wounds we receive in life not harden us, but “purple” us as we listen to his voice and simply “do our duty” in the midst of battle. We are in a great spiritual conflict.  If we have not been wounded in one way or another we’ve probably spent most of our time in the barracks or on KP.  If we are truly engaging, we will get hit at some point or another….many times. When this happens, remember that no “damage” is permanent. We serve One whose voice will teach us how not to harden our hearts, One whose redemptive love will transform us into “Purple Heart Christians.”

Thank you Lord Jesus for being with us as we engage in spiritual warfare. Thank you for touching our wounds and helping our hearts not to harden, but heal. Thank you for making us more than we ever thought we could be…for your glory. Amen

Question: Are you in the battle or on the sidelines? How does that affect your faith?

8 Responses to “Purple Heart Christians”

Hi Sha, it is amazing how sometimes God gets a message to us. Have you found some promises of God from the Bible that give you encouragement and stamina to keep going even in difficult circumstances?

Lord Jesus, I pray for Sha and ask that You would help Sha to be aware of Your presence. I pray that the promise of Romans 5:3-5 “suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.” would be clearly fulfilled in Sha’s life and present struggles. Amen.

Sha, let me invite you to connect with one of our mentors. I know you will find your mentor to be caring and encouraging, a good listener, and will consistently point you to Jesus. Just fill out the Mentor Request Form here and one of our mentors will be in touch with you soon by email.

• Sha says:

I was feeling very discouraged and hurt with life and than out of nowhere this little plastic bead of a Purple Heart appeared on my work desk, I recieved advice from a veteran, and found this advice here. I tell ya I’m trying not to harden my heart I am thankful though for the caring reminders I hope I can fulfill that desire of God not to harden my heart things have been so difficult for so long

• Francine says:

Everyday it is spiritual warfare. It is so disturbing how the world is so twisted and how the media feeds off of it. Morals are at an all time low. Being a servant of Christ is very difficult and only the bravest and toughest are called to do His will! Just like other Christ servants the blatant hate of Christ and anyone who believes in Christ is an epedemic. Biblical promises are seen as hate by the unbeliever. Unbelievers have no respect for Christ and especially servants of Christ. I for one intend to go out strong declaring Jesus as Lord and Savior and build my house on His word! I will do His will even if I am hated for it! God is calling all His servants “To Arms!” Gird yourselves and continue the good fight for the King of Heaven and Earth! The King of Kings!
    Hallelujah!!!

• Beck says:

whether I volunteered or was drafted in, God placed me in the midst of battle. I think I finally hit a turning point the other night, for the better. This devotional reassured me today that God really is still there. I want to be a purple heart Christian. :) Everyone who is fighting your battle, keep moving forward and stay strong, for God’s standing at the end of our lives, and what has yet to happen for us, is past for Him. He knows what He’s doing. He is in control of your life.

• Shari says:

I recently underwent a bilateral mastectomy after a breast cancer diagnosis. There has been purple bruising around the incisions. The mention of wounding and scarring in the midst of battle- and yes, loss- in this case, the prayer for the Lord to touch the wounds help my heart not to hard but heal makes me remember: We participate in the fellowship of His sufferings, and in the end there is a great reward. Can’t quite explain why this devotional has touched my heart, but I am grateful to be reminded that our losses and battles never escape my Lord’s attention. Thank you.

• Fidele says:

My dear sister Alice.
    These scriptures have brought me much comfort over this week:

Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my meditation. Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray. My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O Lord; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up. (Psalms 5:1-3 KJV)

My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. (James 1:2-4 KJV)

for the joy of the Lord is your strength. (Nehemiah 8:10 KJV)

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong. (2 Corinthians 12:9, 10 KJV)

Stay encouraged and be blessed.

• Fidele says:

I currently am in a situation were a family member has been given 2 weeks to live. However have hope an assurance of Gods goodness knowing that He has the final. It has shown me that without Him Jehovah. All is lost. Family members who are yet to receive Christ have been torn apart by this news. I have bad to intercede on the behalf of my family.
    It had really taught me the importance of having Christ in my life.

• Alice says:

thank you so much for this devotion, God is speaking to me I can just say I had a real hard week and my heart been searching, i have been praying for God to remove the pain and disappointment I felt but today I feel much better after reading this is God grace and love to answer me. Thank you Lord for the PTC has given hope to me everyday. God bless the weirder of this. God spoke to me through you.