Fleas

Written by Debbie West

Share this Devo on Facebook and Twitter: Being thankful is the key to overcoming difficulties. http://powertochange.com/blogposts/2013/09/11/fleas/ #LifeDevo

Rejoice always! Pray constantly. Give thanks in everything, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)

During the rise of the Nazi Regime, Corrie Ten Boom helped many Jews escape the terror of the Nazis in Holland. As a result, Corrie and her family were arrested and sent to dismal, disease-ridden, flea-infested work camps. Under the vigilant eyes of soldiers, Corrie and her sister Betsy smuggled in a Bible and read the words of hope to other malnourished and discouraged detainees.

Grateful for being able to hold their modest worship service without being discovered by the guards, the sisters prayed and gave thanks. In 1 Thessalonians 5:18, they found instructions on how to pray……”give thanks in all circumstances.” So on one occasion, Betsy thanked Him for the fleas that plagued them in their barracks. Corrie balked, but Betsy insisted that they should not only give thanks in pleasant circumstances, but in all circumstances.

Several days later, Betsy overheard a guard say that she avoided the part of the barracks where the women had their Bible study because of the fleas. What may seem unpleasant or unfair to us, may be something God uses to bring hope and further His kingdom. Always be thankful. (Story from The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom )

Father, I often pray for You to remove me from uncomfortable or painful situations. But You have a bigger purpose than my comfort. Bring peace to my mind and soul as I walk through tough times. Make me truly thankful in all circumstances.

Action Step

Write down the name of a difficult situation you are in, or a difficult person with whom you interact. Begin to pray and thank God for that situation or person. Watch and see what God does. Make a comment below so others can pray too.

Resource: Cling to God in Hard Times

11 Responses to “Fleas”

• Gwendolyn Hunter says:

Pray for my husband, Charles Hunter who wants a divorce. Be with my children Zola, Charles Jr and Charlene that they will see God in me and accept the changes in me as will their father. I pray for friends who have alienated themselves from me and family that is distant. I want my life to be pleasing to God and to be used for His purposes. I have no other resources for life except faith in God

• Betty says:

Please pray for my grandson’s grandmother. She has temporary custody of him and is not allowing me, nor his brother or sister to see him. I’m praying for God’s will in this situation – and want what’s best, of course, but I am asking that God reunite this family – my daughter and all of her children. Thanks! And if that can’t be, I’m asking that He provide a way for me to have custody.

• Linda Arney says:

God has brought me through so many trials from losing my son, to raising the rest of the 5 by myself.. as my husband died too.. Everyday it amazes me the joy and help God gives me to work through all my trials and daily life. My husband now is recovering from severe illnes/surgery and left me to run everything again but the funny thing is God had me in this same circumstance years ago so I was prepared to face what comes during this trial and in fact isn’t a trial but a joy to already know the path to chose. God truly loves me and walks daily in my life.

• Kathy says:

Thank you Lord for your faithfulness as I am going through a very difficult time in my marriage. You have brought many comforting words from scripture & this devotional today. I am praying God will help me to be thankful in this cricumstance & make my marriage stronger.

• D. West says:

Nakia,
    I’m glad you decided to comment. Thank you for sharing your journey of thankfulness. It is truly an art. God bless!

Debbie

• Nakia says:

I don’t normally comment on the devotions I read, but I couldn’t continue on with my daily readings without expressing how this devotion was right on time for me. More like confirmation. I have been hearing and reading for years how I should be thankful during my trials as well as the good times. A couple of months ago, I decided to trust God and do just that. I began thanking him for trials, even when I didn’t want to. I can’t describe the peace that now floods my life, and even though I still sometimes lose it when a trial comes my way that I feel is unfair, I am continually practicing the “art” of thanking God. And I will continue to do so. I’m watching God work in my life, and I pray that everyone who reads this devotion is already in the practice of thanking God in all circumstances…

• D. West says:

Father, guide James in his job search. We know there is purpose in trials, even though we cannot see them. I pray James will know you better as he walks through this difficult time. Thank you that you hear us when we pray. We praise you for what you will do in James’ life. Amen.

• James says:

I have been unemployed for some time now and money is starting to run out I have applied for various jobs but no positive response. I pray that God will give me guidance for the future, but at present do not see what he has in store for the future and the future looks bleak. Weekends used to be something to look forward to but now I see them as a marker for another week of failure. I look around at others which whom I worked, who are not christians and they have employment and don’t understand why my prayers have not been answered .

• Kristen says:

Thank you, Father, for Jay and the trials you are giving me. I know there must be a bigger purpose in this I have yet to reaize.

• dee says:

Today’s email is so timely ..I could not sleep last night .. asked God for peace in my mind and heart as a widow x 7 years… He flooded the room with peace like the devotion reads ..This am I am still single but I am thankful for confirmation ..I will write down the situation and cont. to pray

• Charity says:

We have faxed an uncomfortable and painful situation. We were in the process of adopting 2 children while falsely accused and charged of child neglect to our own biological children. This forced the removal of our foster children. After painfully and humbly fighting the charges, feeling embarrassed and emotionally spent, all charges were
    Dropped. We are now beginning to restart the process of adopting these two precious children. We prayed for God to remove this situation but he was faithful. While we walked through this he was with us and not only provided a safe and temporary home close by for our foster children but he has allowed us to lean on him when feeling humiliated and upset and brought people along to encourage and affirm us as parents. He showed us that everything he has us walk thorough is not just for us but for others and ultimately everything is for His glory. He did not removed our pain and situation. But used it as a testimony of His faithfulness. God is good despite the circumstances we find ourselves in.