Written by Gail Rodgers

“God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son so that whoever believes in him may not be lost, but have eternal life.” John 3:16 (NCV)

Father in Heaven,

I need You in my life. Forgive me for going my own way without acknowledging You. Thank you that You sent Jesus to die for my sins. Thank you that You forgive me. Cleanse my heart and come into my life today. Please help me to grasp Your ways so I can walk securely in them even in insecure places. I need Your perspective in my life.

Guide me in Your truth, Lord God. Help me to make time to read my Bible. Thank you that Your Word will guide me as a beacon and a light.

You are my Savior, my Rescuer and my Redeemer. Thank you that it is You  alone who restores and renews my spirit and brings meaning to my life.

Today I put my trust in You. Thank you that You will give me the hope and help and peace I need in my journey through life. Thank you that You are my Savior.

In Jesus’ strong name I pray, amen.

Take Action:

Print out this prayer, date it and record “I have decided to follow Jesus today”. If this is the first time you have prayed to receive Christ, we’d love to hear about it! Use this form to let us know and we’ll put you in touch with a coach who can answer any questions.

8 Responses to “Following Jesus”

• Kathryn Kathryn says:

Not sure what the debate is about here. We do need to make some kind of a prayer (or just speak to God) when we finally come to understand that this is what He wants for us. I remember when I was challenged about not really being a Christian (although I thought I was because I went to church). I simply went to my room and asked God to forgive me for all my sins and that I was offering my life to Him. It was not emotional and I did not feel any different but others noticed a difference in me and I began to see my priorities change. That was a long time ago but because His promised Holy Spirit came to live in me, His grace to enfold me and His faithfulness guide and lead me, I am still walking in His way and I long to do this until the day He calls me home. We are all different but as long as we come to Christ n faith and walk as His disciples, that is what is important.

• Kate says:

Actions do not speak for themselves. Words give meaning to action. Since God is the God who speaks, we are able to and responsible to respond. Prayer is the quintessential human activity. This particular prayer is not a prescription, but a description. Believing has CONTENT, we must have words to describe He in whom we believe (however inadequate the words are).

• Chris says:

Friend, where do you read in the Bible to tell people that this is how one becomes a follower of Jesus? Its not in the Bible. If God wanted us to say a repeat-after-me prayer, he would have laid it out in His written word for us. But over and over the Bible says to believe. “Titus 3:5 King James Version (KJV)

5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us…”
    “1 John 4:14 the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world.”
    “In Acts 16:30-31, the Philippian jailer asked Paul and Silas: “ . . . ‘Sirs, what must I do to be saved?’ And they said, ‘Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved . . . .’ ”
    A prayer could be considered works…”I prayed that prayer so now I’m a Christian”. Do you see how that could make someone think he did something to earn salvation? It is a free gift. Simply know it and trust that Jesus paid our price at the cross. The Father poured out His wrath on His Son rather than me. May the Lord God help you see this. Thank you.

• Kate says:

Hi Natalie,

Thank you for sharing! Let us know what you find powerful and why. :-)

• natalie says:

thank you so much for this prayer it is a very owerful prayer

• natalie says:

this is a very powerful prayer.

• Gail Rodgers Gail says:

Hi Jennifer,
    I just wanted to say that if this is the first time you have prayed this kind of a prayer then … “welcome to the family of Jesus followers”.
    I’d like to invite you to read some devotions on my website http://www.gailrodgers.ca to encourage you in this journey.
    God bless you and thanks for sending your note. It encourages me.
    Gail Rodgers

• jennifer says:

Thank you so much for this prayer!!