From New Age to Eternity: My Journey Back to Christianity

Written by Eveline Maedel

faith_newageThe New Age movement is growing rapidly and gaining influence in our modern society. In his book, “Searching Issues” Nicky Gumbel quotes a survey that estimates that 25% of Americans are involved in some form of New Age practice. Many of those taking an interest in New Age are seeking deep, spiritual experiences and meaning in their lives.  Even Christians, who have allowed their faith to dry up, can become victim to seeking fill that spiritual vacuum elsewhere. I know. I’ve been there.

It began more than ten years ago. Although raised, baptized, confirmed and married in the church, I did not really know God.  I knew of Him, but I didn’t really have a relationship with Him.  With a deep desire to know something more than what I was getting out of my occasional Sunday attendance, I began to look elsewhere.

Understanding the New Age movement

New Age has been around for many years.  It is an eclectic mix of practices involving Eastern mysticism, occult, meditation, humanism, nature religions and various self-improvement techniques.  On my quest, I read tarot cards, collected crystals, and studied Buddhism, meditation, visualization and Wicca.

New Age gains its appeal by emphasizing the importance of experience and spirituality. On the surface, who would question its apparent values of love, compassion, and unity?  It promises Utopia.  New Age also seduces in its worship of self (God is within you) and its apparent freedom from guilt (no such thing as sin).

I didn’t realize it at the time, but the further I got into the New Age movement, the farther I got from God, whom I was desperately seeking.  I was constantly moving from one practice to another, reading the latest book, seeking the latest “experience”.

We live in the instant generation.  We want our answers now.  “New Agers” often move from one technique to another, one guru to the next, seeking the next better spiritual high. Though the power found in many of these experiences is real, it is often short lived and fails to satisfy.

Finding spiritual fulfillment

There came a day when I simply could not read yet another New Age book.  They all sounded the same and I was slowly realizing that none of this was filling me up.  Spiritually, I was empty.

Returning to church was not easy.  At my first attempt, I cried during the service and felt very alone.  It would have been all too easy to walk out the door again. I struggled deeply with what I thought I believed in. Could Christianity be true?

I also struggled long and hard with pride. It took me a very long time to admit that I had been traveling down the wrong path. I thought myself fickle and wondered if Christianity would be “just another phase” for me.

I realize now that I should have talked to someone at this point, but I felt that if other Christians knew about my involvement in New Age I would be spurned, or worse, lectured to. I wanted to know more about Christ, not what I had done wrong.

Fortunately, I kept on going back. Occasionally at first, and then every Sunday. I attended workshops, read Christian books and took the time to sort out my faith.  Slowly I let the Holy Spirit seep back in and fill me up.

Representing Christ

But what of others in the New Age movement? How are we presenting Christianity to those earnestly seeking spiritual fulfillment?

In Acts, we are told of how Paul spoke to the Athenians about their altar “To an Uknown God”. Paul tells them that the God they worship as unknown, is “the God who made the world and everything in it” and who “himself gives all men life and breath and everything else” (Acts 17:23-25).

God is not some impersonal energy floating out there somewhere. God is real. He is the creator of the universe, and He wants a relationship with us. Acts 17:28 says, “For in him we live and move and have our being.” Christians need to show more of this experience of God, this relationship, to the outside world.  Our very lives must demonstrate the supernatural, lasting power of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Instead of condemnation, show compassion. Look for common ground in some New Age beliefs – the search for truth, fulfillment and spiritual experience – and use these as a bridge to discussion about Jesus Christ.

Jesus said to the woman at the well “If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.” (John 4:19)  We need to show how this living water is working in our lives and how deeply it satisfies.

The challenge for Christians is to live with Christ as the center of our lives, the Well of Living Water that will never run dry. We need to show others that Christ is relevant today and that the search for a transformed life can only rest when it meets the awesome power of the Holy Spirit.

In Christ the seeker can come home

You can receive Christ right now by faith through prayer. Praying is simply talking to God. God knows your heart and is not so concerned with your words as He is with the attitude of your heart. Here’s a suggested prayer:

Lord Jesus, I want to know you personally. Thank you for dying on the cross for my sins. I open the door of my life to you and ask you to come in as my Savior and Lord. Take control of my life. Thank you for forgiving my sins and giving me eternal life. Make me the kind of person you want me to be.

Does this prayer express the desire of your heart? You can pray it right now, and Jesus Christ will come into your life, just as He promised.

Is this the life for you?

If you invited Christ into your life, thank God often that He is in your life, that He will never leave you and that you have eternal life. As you learn more about your relationship with God, and how much He loves you, you’ll experience life to the fullest.

69 Responses to “From New Age to Eternity: My Journey Back to Christianity”

• Crisha says:

Answers to Tom-

You asked: “You say you “spent years in the christian (sic) faith . . .” “and when enlightement (sic) came”. . . Exactly what do you mean by “enlightenment”? From where did it come?”

My answer: It came from a higher place from within. At a point in my life where I had nothing but my faith I looked into the inspired words of the bible and saw truth in a more empowering light. This was then backed up through miracles that began to take place in my life as a result. Healings, peace and a oneness with God I had never felt in all my years as a “Christian” I am one that had been bless from a child with visions and dreams that come to pass. A vision confirmed this new enlightenment with Jesus statement saying the kingdom of God is within you. That we are the sons of God. and that when we see him we see the father (this is because just as jesus we all are the reflection and extention of the ultimate source of this world). That take your cross and follow me was to follow in his way, his understanding, his revelation, not in worship to the Man Jesus.

You asked: Since being a Christian is to be a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ, the virgin-born Son of God and creator of all things, are you saying that you now deny those things and have turned your back on him as such? If so, in what are you placing your faith for eternal life with God after you die?

I deny that he is to be worshipped as greater than us. I embrace that he is to be honored as incarnated revelation of the christ within all of us. That gratitude should be given to him for the revelation and the reconnection of our souls mind back to an understanding of who we are. You also have to understand that the virgin birth story as been told is multiple religions even before Christianity. It is the portion of scripture that is to be taken as written recordings from the enlightenment of the men of that day. Yes it is inspired! Yes it is the word of God. Why because all of humanity is an expression of God itself and therefore our words are God inspired according to our own revelations. I could not turn my back on him because my worship to his was enlighten and has evolved to a true understanding of him, of which we all still do not understand in its entirety. The christ is my guide and my knowledge of the fact that I am an extension of source is directly become of Jesus, I love him for that.

You asked: You say the Bible “is misinterpreted to make it focus on him.” Could you please give some specific misinterpretations as examples? You also state, “The bible is a collection of teachings that express the enlightment of the men of that day.” How did you come to that conclusion? Are you then denying that the Bible is the revealed Word of God to mankind?

I think I answered some of this in the last section but would like to say that all sacred text is a revealed word of God to mankind to find our truth and our God expression. If you ever study religion or spiritual practice seeking God you will come to understand it all is about enlightment. For example, to the men of that day heavens where the clouds (literally) they had no knowledge of the stars and planets and magnitude of the universe as we do today. There are other examples but this post is already long.

I hope clarity has come to you through my response. I encourage you to hold tight to your faith and if all this sounds erroneous it is ok, your purpose may be to reveal Jesus to all and mine has evolved to reveal his greater intent. Both are divine and perfect in the presence of God we all seek the same a connection with the source that created us to give us joy, love and peace in this experience. God Bless.

• Naomi says:

If you may, would you please email me .
    I feel lost and I need a divine appointment to guide me I know that there is a time for everything , but now I feel so lost and unmotivated . I attended a church and I felt the Holy Spirit as I cried and since then I have felt more lost than found

• Naomi says:

Since I was a young girl I was religious. Getting older I had to find a reason for everything I thought maybe I was to do it all myself , be better without any help because I had all I needed within; since I was made in Gods image. I was becoming more New Age without realizing it. Things I have practiced before even discovering New Age was almost natural to me. Energy Healing for example. Well I am here because I find myself so confused and I need answers. I always thought I had a connection with God. And I thought well if Jeuss did it so can we, then does that make his a normal person just like us ? but he reached Christ consciousness and we can too. I find it hard to label myself Christian or follow religion. I find it kind of odd to be completely honest and I don’t feel so open to it as I’d love to be .
    I think I think too much in this area

• Tom Tom says:

Crisha—
    There are several things in your post that I’m very curious about.

• Crisha says:

It is hard for people to let go of tradition. Especially when their views are so isolated. New age opens that isolation. You believe in Jesus because you ‘believe’ it’s the law of the universe. You feel changed by Jesus because his enlightenment was so impactful it reached beyond the realm of his time. He is the founder of new thought itself, literally. The bible is misinterpreted to make it focus on him. The bible is a collection of teachings that express the enlightment of the men of that day. Now you ignore the enlightment of today because you are afraid to let go. You didn’t go back to christianity because new age or new thought was unfulfilling. You went back because it’s easier to look to someone else for help or as a savior than it is to look within yourself. I spent years in the christian faith, a minister and teacher of the faith and when enlightement came it was a breathe of fresh air. I honor the power and presence of the christ in me because the christ is within us all but Jesus was just a man who reached the highest state of enlightment in history and shared it with the world. Most people aspire to that but never obtain and therefore create a figure to worship. But I say this. if it works for you to be a christian then be a christian because any form of spiritual enlightenment is better than none at all. God bless and let the universe serve you.

• Tom Tom says:

Kevin—
    I read and reread your post with interest because there are some points in it that I’m confused about. Maybe you could clarify because many things you say seem to blur the difference between biblical Christianity and New Age beliefs. You seem to be trying to meld the two together.

You mention using the Bible as an aid for guidance, but several of your thoughts are contrary to what scripture teaches. Is this also an attempt to reconcile New Age with Christianity?
    You also make statements regarding how true Christians must go through some sort of tribulation, then refer to millennialism. Are you saying that all earthly trials and struggles are designed to lead a person to the truth?

When you say that you “surrendered” to the Lord, what exactly do you mean? And why would your losing everything be indicative of surrender?

• Kevin says:

I attended church with my family and children for over 15 years and just seemed to go through the motions. When I did finally hit a major obstacle I needed to reach out and get serious with my forgiveness prayer to Jesus. What changed in me was when I actually surrendered fully to see what would happen. Over the years, I did go through this same new age following with Buddhism and others. I now consider all of that Christ’s way to show me the different layers of spirit within the spirit realm in order to understand why the Christ realm is different from the others. The Bible became the way to associate what questions I had during this process and much later by understanding that all true Christians must go through a full tribulation in order to understand how to increase into their glorified bodies and into the higher consciousness of the Christ realm. The rapture in reality is the increase in consciousness that is given by Jesus at the appropriate time in the process (pre, mid, or post) depending on each individual case and the sincerity of their search. This is why a full tribulation must be had to proceed past the falsehoods given and learned in our fallen state lower consciousness world that we all start in. I will say, that in complete surrender, I lost my SVP titles, got divorced, lost my house and condo, and even had my car repossessed. I did lose everything including 401 savings although I made it through because of everything that continued to happen during this time that allowed me peace in the process. That is what true Christianity is all about. Attending weekly church has nothing to do with it. I’m afraid many will remain stuck not knowing the actual process and working through it. May God bless all those with enough faith to get through their tribulation before final judgment takes that last effort away from them to get into higher consciousness and a continuation of learning in peace with others in their glorified bodies.

Hi Telelia, I appreciate your emphasis on the names of God because Hebrew names give us insight into the character of individuals. The names of God given in the Bible help us to understand His nature. So a name like Adonai is used to reveal His sovereign authority over all things since, as you point out, it means Master or Lord. Adonai is the plural form of Adon and both forms are used to refer to other beings and not just God. An example would be the angels who were sent to rescue Lot and his family from the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah were addressed by Lot as ‘lords’ ‘adonai’ (Genesis 19:18) ‘El’ and its plural form ‘Elohim’ are similarly used both as title for deities and as a name for God. The Creation account in Genesis uses ‘Elohim’ when it says, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the Earth.” (Genesis 1:1) Here is is using ‘Elohim’ as the name of God rather than just a generic title for a deity. So calling the supreme creator of the universe ‘God’ is more than just using a title for Him but it is actually His name as well.

The interesting thing is that same grammatical structure used to describe God’s creation is repeated in John’s Gospel and clearly referring to Jesus, “In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God…All things were made through Him, and without Him was not anything made that was made…And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen His glory, glory as of the only Sin from the Father” (John 1:1,3,14) This is just one of the places where we understand that Jesus is Adonai, Elohim, Yahweh, God.

Can I ask you why you feel that the Bible is just another book? If it has no divine inspiration how do you explain the accuracy of prophecy that is contained within it’s pages? I could point to many instances in the Old Testament that describe what were for the prophet, future events, but for us are history like Daniel’s description of the Gentile empires that would rule over the land of Israel. The description of the rise and fall of the Babylonian, Persian, Greek and Roman Empire are specific and clear even though they were written many years before the Babylonian Empire ever fell. Who but Adonai could have inspired such insight?

• Tom Tom says:

Telelia—
    Obsessive? About names? It would seem you are. And I would absolutely agree that your obsession is a direct result of your “dabbling” in satanic things, spirits, rather than pursuing the truth of Creator God.

Much of what you wrote can be addressed directly, such as the names of God, the validity of the Bible, who Jesus is, etc., but keeping things simple, let me just ask you this—after what are you seeking? The truth? Eternal life? The one true God? How to be right with God?

• Telelia says:

I’m with Nigel- I felt like I lost my faith throughout high school- and I do practice many new-age things; I’ve dabbled in tarot and other cards, meditations, etc- some of which you can think of as meditaion ~ prayer.

However- I struggle as defining myself as christian- I don’t go to church, I’m not mainstream. The bible is another book to me- it was written by man and edited by the church. It feels like a shell of what it used to be. Shoot even names are edited [ Lucifer is latin- what was his real name?]
    Yet.. I still talk to and pray to Adonai [ the abrahamic god- simply saying god isn’t enough for me. there are many gods out there- as in whoever you put first is a god essentially in your life] and I wish other christians would address him by his name. Adonai, Yahweh, Jehovan, etc- there are many. They each are true. And he talks right back. I find our relationship extremely healthy. Yet… I don’t know a thing about Jesus. Every prayer I hear that starts with Jesus I tune out- it doesn’t ring anything to me, doesn’t do anything. That’s what I mean by not being mainstream christian- they all talk about Jesus like he’s the pure water in the desert. And for me? It’s all about Adonai. Adonai is my spiritual guide father, aegis, sentinel, teacher. he is the one who holds my hand, or swats me when I’m doing bad. And it tears me up because I keep hearing how you are condemned to damnation because you don’t believe/talk to/have a relationship with Jesus.
    BTW I do find it a bit hypocritical about Jesus- everybody says Jesus Christ, etc, the Reedemer- yet I have talked to many people who claim to be christian and the moment I say Adonai nobody knows who I’m talking about- and it upsets me. Deeply. Like.. to the point it disturbs me. I feel obsessive about this btw. Like… I can’t begin to explain.
    However- my obession with names started when I felt that when I talked to spirits- i needed to be more specific- and about the verse “do not take the Lord’s name in Vain” and was always told that the Lord’s name was God- when god is simply a title. Just.. obsessive.

• Sharon says:

to tom thank you that the only thing I could think of I know its not a good analogy good analogy you came up with God bless– sharon

• Tom Tom says:

While no analogy of the trinity is perfect, ice-water-snow is rather poor because no two of them exists at the same time the way God as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit do.

A better analogy I’ve heard that also deals with God’s own creation is space-time-matter. In total they make up everything in the universe, while each is separate but cannot exist without the others.

• Sharon says:

to Nigel good comment and thank you for it for the Trinty think of the triune God as water, ice and snow all three of them are water. talking to God is like talking to a person and I would think most Christians are genuine in their faith and the clergy too I am praying for you. Sharon

• Nigel says:

I have had some of your experiences, with the exception of getting involved with anything remotely New Age. I lost my faith (or so I thought) and when I regained it (12 viewers later) I thought I would go back to being a Christian. Although I’ve been to very many different churches, the ritual never seems the right way to worship God, the doctrine rings hollow and I content myself with sharing some kind of worship with people who I believe worship the same God as me. It’s no good quoting the Bible at me, as it remains just another book. I’ve tried reading various books suggested by Christians and some of them have had a deleterious effect! I thought about the prayer that you have, above, and realised that I couldn’t repeat the words and have them feel genuine. I would be doing something as silly as trying to lie to God. I have a sense of spiritual oneness that appears to tie in with many of the experiences of Christians who have a personal relationship with God, the only difference being that Jesus isn’t in there and I can’t help thinking of the concept of the Trinity as a thinly disguised polytheism (adopted as doctrine, somewhat reluctantly, at the Treaty of Nicaea). I have also seen what Christianity does to some people. I have spoken to clergyman who are quite transparent in the way that they try to manipulate other people’s thinking. Shared worship remains a bit of a problem for me… both monotheistand heathen.

I have examined the various ways in which people become Christians and it has become apparent to me that divine intervention or grace plays an indispensable role in this. Taking some heart from this, I have come to the conclusion that God will make me into a Christian, if he wants me to be one. I pray nightly that God will change me in any way that he finds pleasing… sometimes I feel that the process of me feeling so I lost my faith was very important part of my spiritual development, essentially cleansing me a dogma and doctrine of Christianity. Please excuse any typographical errors, I’m blind and this was written using speech recognition software.

• Alfred says:

Dear Itumeleng, God in His wisdom made mankind with the ability to chose. If we had been made to be mere puppets (with no free choice) than God would miss the pleasure of us “wanting to serve Him”. We are powerful in that we are able to determine our own destiny. The powers of darkness are there so that we MUST make a choice —- to serve them or Holy God. When the angel, Lucifer, fell (in deciding to oppose God) he set up his own little kingdom, as you say. Lucifer, the Devil, is not able to directly hurt God, so he works at causing mankind to fall, which indirectly hurts God. So, the war goes on, and we (the “apple of God’s eye”) are caught in the middle of it!
    You, Ituseleng, say that the Creator had to come and live and die like we do. Yes, in His great love for mankind, Jesus came to show us how to live, and then suffered so that none of us could ever say “He does not understand”. I count the Salvation Plan a miracle by design: we read in 1 Cor 15:21-23 “For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive.” Also, it says in 1 Cor 15:45 “And so it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.” NKJV. Jesus was that “last Adam”! Now I’m waiting for HIS return to rapture His people!

• Itumeleng says:

There’s something people forget to remember, and that thing is so powerful that it pull Good and evil, God and devil towards it, all this supernatural beings die,rebel and live to gain this one thing. The God who created everything had to kneel,suffer pain and submit to death for the sake of this one being. Even that liar who was once a beauty creature of God,had to rebel when he heard the plans God has for this one being. Even it goes against itself. This being can mimic God by creating its small heaven on earth, creating the world out of earth,bringing the supernatural into the physical world e.g(wireless communication). This same being also surprised God and made Him to repent(Gen 6:6). Even God almighty had to frustrate this beings from building a tower of babel(Gen 11:4-9). Entlek what’s so special about HUMAN BEINGS?

• Tom Tom says:

Nathan–
    I would suggest that the only definitive way to have the “third eye” go away would be to have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit of God. Any other source of direction in one’s life is of Satanic nature and is contrary to God.

If you will believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and trust in him alone to save you, you will be Holy Spirit indwelt.

• nathan marlowe says:

dose the feeling of the third eye ever go away

• Tom Tom says:

Miguel–
    Also, the Bible says over and over again such things as “The LORD said,” and The LORD spoke saying.” No other book has direct quotations attributed to God Himself.

• Tom Tom says:

Miguel–
    The verse I quoted from 2 Peter specifically tells us how the Bible came to be. “But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.”

As far as those people without Bible access–consider this:
    Man is sinful. There is not a single person on earth who hasn’t sinned against God in one way or another. Every person has broken God’s law and is therefore under His condemnation. Without faith and trust in Jesus Christ, there simply cannot be forgiveness of that sin. God will only accept the blood sacrifice of a perfect man, which is why he had to send his own perfect son, Jesus, to become a man to die for our sins. Acts 4:12 states, “God has made the one and only way to be reconciled to him, and that is through Jesus Christ.” Therefore, those who have not yet heard of Jesus will simply be judged according to their own sin. That is why Christianity has been spread by the words of those missionaries throughout the centuries who have faithfully carried the gospel of Jesus Christ to the far ends of the world. I always tell people who are concerned about those who have never heard, “If you are so concerned for them, become a Christian and go and tell them before it is too late.”

• Miguel says:

“We know that the Bible was physically written down by holy men who were moved and directed by the Holy Spirit to convey God’s truths to us”. How do you know they were Holy men? How do you know they were directed by the Holy Spirit and not other kind of spirit with an agenda?

And again, what about people who has no access to the Bible? What could they do?

• Tom Tom says:

Miguel—
    We know that the Bible was physically written down by holy men who were moved and directed by the Holy Spirit to convey God’s truths to us. 2 Peter 1:20-21 tells us, “But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.” We learn in John 1:1 that Jesus IS the Word of God and so all scripture comes from the Word of God, Jesus. The tri-une God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit act in unison in so many ways. That’s what makes scripture literally ALIVE. (“All Scripture is inspired by God (inspired means “God-breathed”) and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.” 2 Timothy 3:16. The Bible takes on living qualities in its makeup and function and its impact and influence on mankind goes far beyond what any man-written book has ever done.

It is a common misconception that the Bible has been changed, but that is not true. Unlike man-made religious books like the Book of Mormon (3,913 revisions and changes) or the Koran (which was subjectively chosen by Muhammed from at least three different versions in circulation at the time), the Bible we have today is the Bible the first century read. Considering that it is God’s Word to us, the same God who created all things is perfectly capable of preserving his Word to us. It was only after the Gnostics started writing falsehoods about Jesus that the church fathers came together in the 4th century A.D. to carefully consider those writings and deny their authenticity.

One of the wonderful beauties of the Bible is that it has stood 2,000 years of higher criticism and careful examination and has never been proven to be anything other than what it is—the Word of God.

• Miguel says:

Thank you Tom, this was so helpful!
    Now, what gives the Bible this superior authority if Jesus didn’t write it? Also, it has been changed several times along history by those in power, so how do you know it hasn’t changed some of its original meaning? And what about people that has no access to it?
    I’m sorry if I incommode someone…
    Again, thank you a lot.

• Tom Tom says:

Hi Miguel—
    Thanks for joining the conversation. It’s good that you are asking these questions as they show you are seeking to know the truth. Jesus said you can know the truth and the truth will set you free. I cannot give thorough answers to all of your questions at one time, so I’ll give some brief overviews and responses. If you’d like more specific answers, please feel free to ask one or two at a time.

The Bible is the revealed word of God and Jesus IS the Word. (John 1:1, 12-14). And since the Bible makes it clear that God/Jesus/Holy Spirit created all things, all things are under their direction. Therefore, the answers to your questions are either directly in the Bible or taken as being opposed to the Bible and therefore they are false.

If by the astral plane you are referring to the spiritual realm, then there are good things there. God is spirit; God is perfection; therefore the spiritual realm does have good things in it.

Jesus is perfect and part of the tri-une God, but we would have to define what “good” is before answering whether he is the only “good thing out there.”

People do not go to hell because they have sinned. Jesus paid the total price for all of mankind’s sin. People go to hell because they have not availed themselves of the cure for sin—Jesus Christ. Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but by me.” Therefore, without faith in Christ, one cannot be saved.

Yoga incorporates more than simple stretching and strength exercises. A major tenant of yoga is internal meditation, a focus on oneself or a blanking of the mind to allow spiritual access from without. That lends itself to the entry of evil spirits. Therefore, it should not be practiced by those seeking God. Other physical exercise or meditation on Bible passages is a focus on God and the physical body he gave us.

Any spiritual teachings outside of the Bible and its truths (I.e. chakras, shamanism, etc.) are contradictions of scripture and evil in the sight of God. The Bible and Jesus Christ are the only spiritual truths we should feed on.

There is not only no reason to believe that your date of birth has any affect on your life, but the Bible prohibits such things as astrology. God’s word speaks about some of the starry configurations, but astrology has corrupted their meanings.

As previously stated, not everything is evil. (God, Jesus, the Bible for examples.) However, the world has been corrupted by sin and is driven by Satanic forces, and therefore tends to be evil in most ways. Jesus will soon return to remove the evil and return things to the perfection that God created.

There are no personal lessons and missions that we have to acknowledge. There is the need to believe and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ in order to restore our relationship with God, and there is the need to read and obey his holy word, the Bible. Absolutely no one can, in any way, experience or understand their purpose for being here, where they came from, or where they are going outside of a relationship with Christ.

• Miguel says:

Hello from Spain!

I’m just a bit lost between New Age and Christianity in my search for Truth. I would appreciate it so much if you shed some light on some of my questions:

Are there only bad things in the astral plane?
    Is jesus the only good thing out there?
    Wouldn’t it be better to ask for god’s help to be protected? (He’s more sovereign, or at least the same)
    What about people that has never heard of Jesus? Can’t they be saved?

If yoga is bad, what is the limit between this practice and just a bit of stretch in your room? Do I have to take care when doing pushups and this stuff?
    Are the chakras real? If so, do they need to be balanced even if we don’t have to crack them opened?
    Do I have to be careful when singing also?

What about shamanism? Ayahuasca? Is their contact with nature also a deception? Isn’t it safe to go to the upper spiritual world? Don’t they really heal people and care about nature and righteous living?
    It’s clear your date of birth has a lot to do with who you are, don’t we have to be aware about this?

If everything is evil, what’s the point to be here? Do we have to learn something?
    Don’t we have personal lessons and missions that we have to acknowledge?

Thank you!

• Tom Tom says:

Shawna–
    Your struggle to feel accepted by God is not uncommon. Oftentimes, it is a result of the teachings of the church you attended–a teaching that all too often is not scriptural. The bottom line is that we are saved by grace and we are kept by grace and it is not necessary or even possible to “do” anything to get it from God or to keep it. If it was, then it wouldn’t be grace. Here is a short description of grace:

Grace in mentioned 170 times in the Bible. Consider some of the ways it can be defined:

Grace is God’s unmerited favor. That is, grace is God doing good for us that we do not deserve. In the Bible, grace and mercy are like two heads of the same coin. Mercy is God withholding judgment or evil that I deserve; grace is God giving me blessing or good that I do not deserve. Because of God’s mercy, I do not receive the judgment of God against my sins; because of God’s grace, I receive eternal life and a promise of heaven though I do not deserve them. Both mercy and grace come to me though the Lord Jesus Christ.
    Grace can also be defined as God’s sufficiency or God’s fullness in the life of the believer. God told Paul, “My grace is sufficient for thee: for my trength is made perfect in weakness” (2 Corinthians 12:9). That is, the grace of God in Paul enabled him and empowered him in his weakness. Another verse states, “And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work” (2 Corinthians 9:8).

God’s grace working in us supplies the sufficiency whereby we may abound to every good work. I like to call grace “God’s enoughness.” By this I mean that God is enough for us no matter what the situation we face.

This being the case, you can see that grace is first of all necessary for salvation. Ephesians 2:8 states, “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God.” One aspect of salvation is called justification. That is the act by which we are declared just (righteous) before God on the basis of the payment Jesus Christ made for our sin. The Bible clearly teaches that we are justified by the grace of God (Romans 3:24; Titus 3:7).

But not only are we saved by the grace of God–we also serve the Lord and live the Christian life by the grace of God. The letters of Paul always speak of a blessing of grace for the believers (along with peace). Just for an example, Romans 1:7 states, “Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.” Paul is speaking to believers who are already saved and on their way to heaven, but he also recognizes that they need grace for living the Christian life. They need God’s strength and sufficiency.

A good verse to help explain this grace by which we live is 1 Corinthians 15:10
    where Paul testified, “But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.” It was God’s grace that made him what he was. It was God’s goodness working in him that made him the great servant of God he was.

So, obviously, we also need the grace of God. We need it first of all for salvation. Without the grace of God, we cannot have eternal life. However, we also need the grace of God for our daily walk with God. We are weak and prone to stray. Jesus told us that we can do nothing without Him (John 15:5). But God provides daily strength through His grace working in us. We should seek this grace for living from him. Then, we should believe that He will provide what He has promised and walk with assurance that His grace is working in us.

It was only recently Shawna that I started really living by God’s grace and not “doing” things that I thought would please him. If you’ll rest in his grace, you’ll begin to how he wants to work in your life by reading his word and spending time with him in prayer.

A caution however–The things in which you are dabbling to make some sort of “connection” are things that are idols in God’s site and will build a sin barrier between you and God. While crystals, reading cards, yoga, and chanting may seem to give you some inner benefit, they are deceitful evils that will only confuse you and lead you astray. You need to eliminate all of those things and place your faith and trust in Jesus Christ and the grace of God for direction. You might want to read the Book of Galatians which goes into some detail regarding the grace of God.

• Shawna says:

Does Jesus and the Holy Spirit not dwell within us when we ask him into our hearts? Are we not given the filling of the Holy Spirit? Does He not empower us with His presence? When I look for the God within I’m looking to where He sits on the throne within. I was raised in a Christian home so I’ve heard the whole story and as a Christian, I’ve experienced His love & faithfulness. Yes I’m struggling with my faith as a follower of Christ as I want to feel connected intrinsically and intimately with the Father not just going thru the motions and I’m TIRED of the fear of EVERYTHING!!! I’ve found that connection more with yoga, meditation and prayer then the church. I find the constant fear based control of Christianity a sterile environment. I want to feel empowered to know my steps are sure and motives are true. I’m tired of having to be suspicious of everything! Do I not carry Christ with me or better He carry me where ever we are? Did he not create everything and does He not have everything working to His good and perfect will. I believe the Father is God of and over all creation. His Creations are tools to be utilized not feared nor worshipped. I do have crystals, read cards, do yoga, pray, chant, meditate and all of these things give me something tangible to grasp onto or DO to connect with the One who started it all! History and humanity shows that we are broken but I’m tired a religion that beats us up if we don’t keep to inside the box and again be suspicious of everything. Did he not give us discernment and intuition? His love is where I finally find my resting place and where I lay my hope. He will lead me to the place of peace because my relationship with Him was the whole reason for my existence. That relationship is a 2 way living and breathing thing or it’s just subjugation is it not??

• Itumeleng says:

YES! GOD is very BIG yoh! And His LOVE is HUGE!
    Thanks for this enlightenment.

Hi Ltumeleng, don’t be afraid to ask your questions of God. He wants your honesty. It is in our moments of honesty that He will come and meet with us. One caution though, make sure your questions are honest. I have known people who ask questions that are more distractions from the real issues in their life. They don’t want to acknowledge that God has spoken to them so they throw up a smoke screen of questions so they don’t have to respond to what God is calling them to.

To respond to your question, the danger was not in the existence of the Tree of The Knowledge of Good and Evil, but in creating humanity with the freedom to choose to love Him or not. If we could not choose to reject God, we never would really be able to love Him. The Tree was good, not evil. It was humanity’s decision to eat of the fruit of that tree so that we could be our own authority rather than submit to God’s authority. God is the ultimate source of what is Good because everything Good is a reflection of His perfection. Eating of the fruit was saying that God is less then perfect, and we could do better. Remember what the serpent said to Eve, “God knows that when you eat of [the fruit] your eyes will be opened and you will be like God, knowing Good and Evil.” (Genesis 3:5) The only way that anyone can be like God is to be independent of God’s authority; that was what Adam and Eve chose.

The Good News is God loves us so much that He sacrificed Himself so that our rebellion against Him could be dealt with and we can live life with Him. Even knowing that we would choose to rebel against Him, God still created humanity so that we could experience the full extent of His love. He still gave us the choice not to love Him so that we could discover what it means to be loved by Him. Many people are still so focussed on being independent of His authority that they choose to ignore His great love for them. But for those who respond to His sacrifice on their behalf, He has adopted them as His children, to live in the fullness of His love forever. That is an offer He makes to you too. Are you ready to accept it?

• Itumeleng says:

I have a lot of questions and sometimes I feel like I’m being against good when I ask them. The truth is I’m interested in knowing God the creator. I have a question if there’s an answer, ” Why did God place the tree of knowledge of good and evil in the garden, if the tree was this dangerous?”

• Elkay says:

Sameboatasyou, thank you for your comments and praise God for your return to Christ! You used an important phrase in your post, that phrase being “the truth of Christianity” and it is this that distinguishes Jesus Christ, who described Himself as “the way, the truth and the life”, from all of the impostors in the New Age movement. Jesus went even further and said of Satan, our eternal adversary, as “When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies.”

I strongly encourage your returning to church, being careful to select a Bible-teaching and Christ-honoring body. Jesus said, “Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.”, the way we “abide in Him” or better yet, “live in Him” is to be active in a church, because today it is Jesus who is the head of the church (Col 1:18). And here the term “church” refers to a group of 2 or 3 or more Christians, for He also said, “For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.” (Matt 18:20) So when you are “in fellowship with other believers”, you are abiding in Christ! And that is the most safe and secure place on this fallen earth!

• sameboatasyou says:

Thank you so much for posting this.

I can completely relate, I being a believer in God my whole life who strayed once to atheism, to born again Christian, to a Christian jaded by the church I attended to a new age fool and now back to the truth of Christianity.

I had feared my straying from Jesus and God and dabbling in the lies of the new age movement as potentially unforgivable, but through prayer, bible reading and asking for forgiveness I am regaining my hope. Reading this fills me with hope even further.

I also plan to go back to the church I abandoned 4 years ago while distancing myself slightly from getting too involved, I want the worship but I don’t want the politics.

Thank you once again, I love your testimony. I hope others also trapped in this false movement will also see the truth of it’s deeply deceptive way.

Bless you! And everyone reading this! You’ve made my day :)

That is great news to hear of how your prayers have made a difference in your life. In this article Eveline talks about how Jesus’ death on the cross pays the penalty for our sin against God and how His resurrection gives us the promise of new life with Him guiding us every moment of every day. Did you and your cousins talk about trusting in Jesus?

• Dan Webster says:

Jamie, the thing that Jesus does that New Age philosophies do not do is that He “sets us free from ourselves.” I no longer am bound or inclined to do the same things that I used to BEFORE I met Christ. So, for me, it’s that simple! I realize that some of us suffer from things that are organic; in other words, we are more prone or inclined to be persuaded by certain temptations or sins, than say, a friend or neighbor. It matters not however, because Jesus paid the price for it all. Now, I should’ve elaborated more about my previous comment, “I’m not sure He’s for everybody.” What I should have said is that not everyone will choose Jesus, therefore, He is not for everyone. It’s a personal choice. Just today, a neighbor asks me for prayer. However, this same person does so to manipulate, based on my experiences of dealing with him. So, just because a person asks for prayer doesn’t mean they are spiritual, saved, or whatever. Just because I say I believe in the New Age religion or beliefs doesn’t mean I’m spiritual either! What it comes down to is “do I personally know Jesus?” If you meet me, you can never say you haven’t. The same applies to Christ, if you met Him, you’ll know.

• Kim Storozhuk says:

Hi Jamie,

I pray to God and thank him for what he has giveb me in my life and ask.him to guide me.

Ever since I been praying, I stopped hearing voices and seeing strange things.

I feel like there is still demons that try to get to me at times, but that with the help of God, I can see more clearly.

My anxiety is getting better too and I have a biggercapacity for compassion.

I had gone the past 28 years without the guidence from God so its a lot to take in now. I am happy that I have chosen to do so though :)

Thanks for telling us your story Kim. What was it about praying that changed things for you? What do you pray about?

• Kim Storozhuk says:

I was baptized Catholic when growing up. My parents were not religious and said they baptized me so that I could have the choice when I grew up.
    In my mid 20s I started to notice that i felt empty. Before then, i always had my family and always focused on school and acheiving the best grades.

After college, I moved to the mountains away from everyone and everything I knew. It was here where I started to really change.

Being alone made me think a lot. Looking back, I see that I was spiritually starved. I started getting into New Age pbilosophy through books, Then i started collecting crystals and meditating and reading a lot of info online.

I still felt lost though. One day I woke up and decided that I should move back to the city to go to school and find a professional job.

I was living bymyself then and had been studying New Age teachings for a few years. One day while meditating, my body staryed vibrating, there was a loud ringing in my ears, and everything felt weird. I was so frightened that I forced myself to snap out of it.

Later I found out that I was about to astral project. Knowing this, I felt like I came across some super power. It made me feel special and I continued with my study of the New Age movement.

Little did I know that the further I was getting into it, the further I was getting away from God.

My cousins randomly decided to visit me and I told them about my experiences. My cousin Nam revealed the truth to me and asked me to pray to God. He warned me that messing with the occult would open me to posession from demons.

With my pratice of New Age philosophy, weird stuff had happened to me. I would hear voices and see things. Once i heard an angelic voice tekling me to “leave him“. At the time I thought she was telling me to leave my husband. I found this weird though, since I felt in my heart that if this was a true message from God, he wouldnt approach it that way. Lol!

Anyway, ever since I started prayibg to God, things in my life been getting better fron my feeling of peace to my relationship woth people.

I been told that I would be tempted to leave God again and I have been a few times. This conpamy that wirtes abd sells products about New Age stuff asjed me to work for them, sometimes I battle with nyself mentally still, but as I stay true to God, thing are definately getting better.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story.
    God is the truth and love and may he be with you.

Hi Dan. I appreciate your emphasis on the importance of knowing God. What ways does Jesus help you to know God, that you haven’t seen New Age spirituality?

• Dan Webster says:

I will say that your story is an interesting one. You hit the key; knowing God! However, it can be quite difficult to know God because do much of what we are taught anout God and how we see Him, is directly related to how we see the father-fugure of Him. For some, He is authoritative, for others, He is kind. It depends. I personally have had a long standing interest and influence in the New Age. I have experienced out-of-body experiences while asleep. So, I cannot deny the reality of it! However, I do believe that Jesus is the only way to eternal life. I’m just not sure that He’s for everybody. I’ve come to the conclusion in my personal life that a man or woman has to choose something that they can live with.

• Tracy says:

Yes… I was in the New Age… then became a believer in Christ… and one day as I was praying I felt God told me I’d be ‘tempted by the new age” again. I couldn’t believe what I intuited, but sure enough… it happened. My mom and best friend (cousin) were into New Age beliefs and over time I began to be interested in the things they talked about. I had a couple of paradigm shifts in Christian beliefs (regarding eschatology mostly) and so I thought, gee, what if New Agers have ‘some’ things right? (I’m sure all belief systems do, it’s just that without Jesus they are dry). So I was deceived yet again. Even after the Spirit told me I’d be tempted… I just couldn’t believe I was actually falling into that temptation by trying to integrate science and Spirit, and combine New Age and Christianity. I guess I believed that everything was interconnected. So yes, this is something many Christians can fall prey to, but I’m here to tell you the Good News is that Jesus won’t give up on you. When you belong to Him, he doesn’t turn his back on you, even when we stray. If you’re sincere in wanting to be back where true life is, authentic love is there with open arms. Yes, I’ve paid many costs for my straying, and suffered greatly, and all of it could have been avoided because God warned me. I was looking for answers, but now I’m done seeking, as I’ve found the ONE who has all the answers. And it feels great. I’m resting in Him once again. We may be fickle, but he’s faithful. Life without Jesus is synthetic and artificial. I pray I am never deceived again. To my brethren: Love all New Agers… don’t condemn or correct or teach, it doesn’t work with them. Just keep showing them Love, plant seeds, and wait for God’s timing. When they start asking questions, the seeds are planted and ready for the Living Water. :)

• Urban Shaman says:

I do really like the relevancy with which your article appeals. Of course the larger context Acts 17:21-32 is splendid piece, especially since it’s one of St.Paul’s few focused outside any Jewish context. Unfortunately there has been a lot of confusion in stating to a Gentile that their heart is desperately wicked, since the “law” is not a reference point. It is only faith that keeps a gentile from anything. So linking your better comments. Besides praying for a revelation of His Son by the Spirit, I’ve found it best to use Pauls angle of appealing to New Agers by means of their love for natural religion.. and then the Orders of Gods Grace then starts to become apparent as His Spirit reveals how they can… gotta love that daily shower by the Spirit eh?

• Aldo says:

Dustin, you are quite welcome. Thank you for that great testimony. Continue to share it with as many people as you can. I pray that the Lord will use you mightily to bring honor and glory to His Name, Amen.

Dustin, if you are interested in learning more of how to grow and mature in the things of the Lord, click on the Talk to a mentor button at the top right of this page. The mentor will be able to make available to you many resources that will help you to grow in the Lord. God bless.

• My story is pretty dramatic itself. I’m 18 so Jesus saved me early for some reason. I grew up and atheist and in high school I did a lot of lsd and shrooms. Because I thought it was “spiritual” and “cool” I was 15 and 16 without a fully developed brain. I thought of myself as my own God and I thought right and wrong were just human made things. The acid would make me have spiritual thoughts and I would think ” this is the truth that society doesn’t see” then this is when the lord saved me. Me and a friend were tripping on acid being new age hippies and he starts going crazy and starts crying then laughing. (I believe Satan was working in both of us during this night) he takes a knife and starts shaking with it in his hand. A inner voice tells me to run. And I ran home tripping on the side of a highway at 3 in the morning. I pass by a church and the billboard says let Jesus be with you. I didn’t think much of it at the time. The next two months were weird. I was in a constant stake of panic attacks and anxiety. I would have mental imagies of me killing myself and the ones I loved. I finally told my parents and they suggested talking to my uncle whose a big Christian. I told him what was happening and he told me Satan was working inside me and trying to trick me into killing myself. I believed every word he said and I said a prayer with him word from word. It felt right. That’s all I can say. I then got Baptistzed at a church and cried every service because I felt ashamed of who I was. I cried like a baby. I complely surrender myself to the Lord Jesus Christ my Savior with my arms open in prayer crying. And I opened my eyes and that constant depression and anxiety state was relieved. I still have friends who are new agers. I’m not going to shun them because they don’t believe what I do. I pray that they find Jesus one day. Either way I love them. I’m currently 18 now and my life has changed complely. Thank you Jesus Christ and thank you to the people in this post who share something in common with me. May God be with you all

• Elkay says:

Kathy, it is so cool to read of your dramatic experience with Jesus and I hope that you can influence others to see new age philosophy for its emptiness and its selfish focus on one’s self. The real question ought to be, “How else could this totally complex, intricate, infinite, perfectly balanced universe come to be and thus how can Christianity not be true?”

When asked, I explain that God saw the broken world that He originally created as “very good” but now is the mess we’re in and, “at the right time”, He entered this world to rescue it and us. That’s it. That’s Christmas. God came to earth for that reason.

The details? God became human in the person of Jesus, allowed Himself to suffer and die at the hands of sinful humans, taking the sin of the world, the sin of each of us personally, onto Himself. How did He do this? While still on the cross, He judged the world: judged it and us forgiven of all sin. His final words before death? “God forgive them because they don’t know what they are doing.”

But He didn’t stay dead. God raised Him from the dead, He was seen alive by hundreds of people, He was seen by witnesses as ascending into Heaven and from there has been and still is reigning over the earth. It is He, not evil, not pain, not death, who has the last word over all things.

The Good News for those who give their lives to Him is that what God did for Jesus in raising Him from the dead He will do for those who trust Him. In fact God is in the process of doing exactly that at every moment in the lives of those who are willing, in trust, to accept His work.

This is the gift of Christmas.

• Kathy says:

Hi. I was looking to see if there was a book on having come out of the new age movement. There wasn’t. I too was brought out of it, though my story is a bit more dramatic. I was actually possessed. Jesus saved me. The new age movement isn’t only unsatisfying and erroneous, it is dangerous if you get far enough into it like I did. I have compassion for anyone who is practicing any of these things, and if you are, please ask God to reveal The Truth to you. I also see so much compromise within the church and professing Christians don’t even know it. Even some popular Christiam writers are writing what is really new age philosophy. Thanks for posting. God bless.

• Tony C says:

When New Age believers say that God created good and evil,, the statement has a philosophical standpoint rather than a religious one, in that they are confusing ifunction, with intent: God is by nature, good. He loves His creation. But, evil is only the outworking of rebellion against God, because God gave us all free will. We are free to decide whether to obey God, or not; otherwise, we would only be slaves, automata preprogrammed to behave in a mechanical way, with no personal volition. Where’s the love in that?

Yes Isis, humanity was created in the Image of God. In the first chapter of the Bible we read, “Then God said, ‘Let us make humankind in our image, after our likeness…God saw all that he had made – and it was very good!” But then as you recount, Adam and Eve turned their backs on God. They bought into the lie, “for God knows that when you eat from it [the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil] your eyes will open and you will be like divine beings who know good and evil.” (Genesis 3:5) Some other translations say, “you will be like God…” The lie was that we no longer need God, that we can find our own destiny, morality and strength in our own hands. And the result of that decision to become independent of God, was that the Image of God within us was broken, twisted, and marred. Chapter 5 of Genesis has a startling contrast, “When God created humankind, he made them in the likeness of God… Adam fathered a son in his own likeness, according to his image.” Suddenly, Adam’s children are no longer described as having the image of God but that they are in the image of their father Adam, who had rebelled against God, choosing instead to look at himself as God. That nature of rebellion and independence is passed down from generation to generation, each one of us being born with a self-centeredness that rejects the authority of God in our life.

How many of us teach our children to lie, covet and take what someone else has, demand his/her own way? We don’t have to teach our children those things because they have a nature that automatically acts that way. No, our training of our children focuses on bringing those natural tendencies under control so that we can function together in society. But all of our behavior modification doesn’t actually change the nature that we have been born with. Those desires and tendencies are still there and are quick to pop up when we are under stress or feeling threatened.

So our search for the divine within us is a misplaced quest. God does not live within us because God is perfect and His perfection repels that which is impure. But in His great love for us He has sacrificed Himself by becoming one of us. Jesus left His heavenly place and became one of us, still retaining His divine nature but adding humanness to it. He came to live among us to reveal the true nature of God. He said, “If you have seen me, you have seen the Father.” He came to be a role model for us to follow, showing how we can live a life of dependence on God in every moment of every day. Jesus said that He only did those things that He was directed to do by God the Father, and He only spoke words that the Father had commanded Him to say. Jesus also came to be our sacrifice, taking our sinful nature on Himself, paying the penalty for our sin, and then rising from the dead to live His life through us. Paul wrote, “[My sinful nature] has been crucified with Christ, so I no longer live but Christ lives in me.” So because Jesus, in His divine nature, now lives in those who have put their trust in His sacrifice on their behalf, they once again reflect the Image of God, and not the sinful likeness of our father Adam.

All other religions–New Age, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, even Atheism–teach that humans have to DO something in order to fix the brokenness of their life. For some it is following a moral code, others it is following proper ritual, others seek spiritual enlightenment, and still others look for the opportunity to get it right through a continual cycle of reincarnation. Even atheists talk about human progress as a means of breaking the negative aspects of human nature. Only Jesus says, “apart from Me you can do nothing.” All of our human efforts to fix our broken Image of God are doomed because we are using a sinful nature to fix our sinful nature. We need God to intervene on our behalf. Jesus’ message is not that we look inside ourselves but that we look outside of ourselves and trust in what He has done for us. Doesn’t it make sense that if our brokenness came because of our desire to be like God that we would continue to propagate that lie by pursuing things that we could do to fix ourselves without God? And just as crucial, that the answer would need to come from God Himself?

So yes, the human heart is wicked because we want to exist as our own authority, and define for ourselves what is right and wrong, and establish our own path for fixing our brokenness. But Jesus, in His great love for us, has reached out to rescue us from ourselves, and recreate in us that Image of Himself so that we can accomplish the purpose for which He created us which is to have relationship with Him and proclaim to the rest of Creation of the wondrous love of God.

Sorry, I know I kind of got into a rant there. I just get so excited telling other people of how they can get free of that lie and discover true relationship with God. Does that make sense?

• Isis says:

Why is humanity wicked at heart? So pretty according to the bible every single human on this planet is born evil and only through Jesus can we be good… Okay for me new age thought on finding the divine within is having a communicate with god. In ancient biblical times people didn’t go to church they got to together in groups and prayer or were by themselves and prayer to god alone the was no medium to go through . Also back to the heart of humanity is wicked scenerio , christians believe go made us in his image so why are we automatically wicked? Yes adam and eve ate the forbidden fruit but if one thinks about it technically god is the greator of good and evil. Satan was an angel who fell from grace, angels were created first this making them gods children. So god is not only the father of mankind but the father of satan. So again if we are wicked at heart its because god created us that way – that is how i see it

Hi Isis, I appreciate your participation in this conversation. From your investigation of New Age beliefs and practices how does a person grow in their relationship with God? One of the themes that I find consistently in New Age thought is that humanity has the path to the divine within us. Yet the Bible says that the heart of humanity is desperately wicked and opposed to what God wants. That would mean that if we are looking within ourselves for connection to God we are going to be drawn further away from Him. Jesus said, “I am the Way , the Truth and the Life; no one comes to God the Father except though Me.” (John 14:6) So our path to God is not by focusing within ourselves but looking to Jesus alone to save us from ourselves.

• Isis says:

There is nothing wrong with the new age movement to me. I do yoga and sometimes I mediate but nothing seems evil . I just dont like how people are quick to label something evil when they have a lack of understanding about it.

• ana says:

hello,unfortunately i found myself being deceived with New age at one point.
    The promises of new age were amazing, and i wanted deeper relaationship with God. strangely, i noticed i was going furhter and further from Him. then i started seeing devil’s visions, and i was paralysed by aliens, i got so scared.
    i got on my knees, i repented and since then i dedicated my life to Christ. I love Him so much. i ‘d be possessed toda if i stayed in New age.
    God bless you all <3

• Doris Beck Doris says:

I’m so glad you stopped by and left your comment Heidi! It’s so encouraging to hear how people come to Christ and I love the way you said it, you ‘landed back into the lap of Jesus’!!! How wonderful! May God richly bless both you and your work colleague that didn’t give up on you!

• Heidi says:

Hi there, i have been the same, delved for many years in the New Age movement. Trying all sort of things, which did not fill me with the true Holy Spirit. I have now, landed back into the lap of Jesus – whom i have resisted twice. I am so grateful to one certain person who has come into my life – a work colleague who has guided me and helped save me. I was lost, but now I am found. I thank you for your words, great to hear other peoples stories.
    Kindest regards!